Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

I think the standard colours are supposed to represent our flag, not the USA's. The photographs make the white look a little blue-ish but it's actually a subtle white.
The whites and reds slowly change and reverse, then at the top of the hour a 2 minute show signals the hour. Special events, holidays etc. will see different colours schemes used.

and half of that is over land, not water. I've always been skeptical of those "you can see Rochester" claims. Rochester is as far east as the Trenton/Quinte area and around a bend in the shore.

On a clear day from the top of the Scarberia Bluffs you can see a huge smokestack across the lake down Rochester way - I assume it's for a power plant down there, or something similar.

Yeah, what is that? I've tried looking it up on search engines and GoogleEarth, but to no avail. Yet it must be phenomenally tall to be visible at that height, at this distance. Does anyone know anything about it?

Here's a detail pic of it I took, dimly visible to the left of the Hearn smokestack.

smokestack.jpg

well apparently you can see it all the way from rochester on a clear night.

If you are in Rochester and are 100 metres up, you can see just under 40 kilometres to the horizon. The distance between Toronto and Rochester is some 150 kilometres, so you'd have to be pretty high up to see something of Toronto from Rochester.

That's less than halfway to Rochester though. From here in Cobourg you can't see Rochester, and it's almost directly across the lake.
100_0327small.jpg

I did some quick measuring on Google maps - the closest place in Ontario to Rochester is Prince Edward County, which is still about 80 km across the lake. From St. Catharines to Toronto it's only 50 km. From Toronto to Rochester is more like 150, and half of that's over land.

Nice photos...but are they digital enhanced or real? I never saw the rainbow colour...all I have seen so far is the boring red and white.
i saw it once when they were doing in the testing phase. i think it was the same time pride was happening here in the city.

It's insane for the CN Tower to stick with that boring, rather ugly really, red and white scheme, when they have the ability to do so much with the tower. And the 2 minute show at the top of the hour doesn't cut it either. The sparkling lights on the Eiffel Tower perform for 10 minutes every hour, giving people in Paris a good chance of actually seeing it. Why would you install all those LEDs, and then not use them to best effect? Figure it out Canada Lands Co.!

I'm thinkin' a one minute show every 15 minutes would be more tourist (and photographer) friendly. One minute is a long time... mucho fireworks.

I have no problem with red and white in the mean time. Don't have to be a rocket scientist to know one could turn off the main theme every once in a while and then re-establish it... drama.

Back