Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

CNN has a piece on this where the is absolutely no mention of the CN Tower. Curious however that they mention the Eiffel Tower holding the title even though, like the CN Tower it isn't occupied.
30 years holding the title and the CN Tower is often left out... :(

CNN has a piece on this where the is absolutely no mention of the CN Tower. Curious however that they mention the Eiffel Tower holding the title even though, like the CN Tower it isn't occupied.
30 years holding the title and the CN Tower is often left out... :(

That's why I never watch CNN. Their claim that their news are most trust is just a joke. Sadly, many viewers only believe them.

It's insane for the CN Tower to stick with that boring, rather ugly really, red and white scheme, when they have the ability to do so much with the tower. And the 2 minute show at the top of the hour doesn't cut it either. The sparkling lights on the Eiffel Tower perform for 10 minutes every hour, giving people in Paris a good chance of actually seeing it. Why would you install all those LEDs, and then not use them to best effect? Figure it out Canada Lands Co.!

But if they do splashy all the time what do they do on special occasions? Go boring?

It doesn't need to be splashy all the time; it just shouldn't be crappy looking ever. They need to restrict the tower's lights to aesthetically pleasing displays all the time. (I know, that's subjective.) In any case, 2 minutes of splashy per hour is not enough. While I don't think it's necessary to copy exactly the Eiffel Tower's 10 minutes of splash per hour, 2 minutes of splash followed by 58 minutes of drab is not worth the effort they've made installing these lights. How about 2 minutes every quarter hour? People might actually wait around to see that if they knew a show might be happening soon. These lights should attract people to the tower. Aren't they there to get it noticed?

That's why I never watch CNN. Their claim that their news are most trust is just a joke. Sadly, many viewers only believe them.

I learned all I wanted to know on Anna Nicole and Tammy Faye on CNN....

Ok... can somebody please tell me why during a week when the entire world's eyes are on Toronto, the CN Tower's lights are turned off?

There is a small pulsating light going up and around the tower every now and then, but mostly, the tower is in the dark...

I thought the same thing when we were downtown on Friday night....the pulsating thing is too clever by half....just light the thing the usual way - it's already quite spectacular, no need to change...

I was thinking that too. I thought the lights were turned off until the pulsating light was visible.

I can think of two explanations - that they won't overwhelm the simple spotlights assembled in front of Roy Thomson Hall with TIFF, or thanks to FLAP/bird migration.

Ok... can somebody please tell me why during a week when the entire world's eyes are on Toronto, the CN Tower's lights are turned off?

There is a small pulsating light going up and around the tower every now and then, but mostly, the tower is in the dark...

It's retarded people running Toronto! Nothing should make sense!

yeah its been dark for a week or so now. and the pulsating is very infrequent. I'm guessing its to do with the stupid birds migrating?

I had the same thought - bird season?

I do recall some talk about lighting down the tower during those periods.

The day after Labour Day (Sept 4) the tower changed the lighting system to a dimmer and less frequent pattern because of bird migration (the FLAP program). This will be the pattern through November.

http://www.flap.org/

Dimmer program through November? I thought I'd like to see the CN Tower lit earlier as the days get shorter.

Though I am sympathetic to FLAP, sometimes even I think we should let Darwin do his work.

Damn John Graves Simcoe for picking a city site in the middle of a migratory bird route!

Back