Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

I like the standard theme, red and white - they are our national colours! Throughout the hour red and white slowly change from top to bottom then the two minute mini-show at the top of the hour. I do agree that the mini show could be a little more eye popping but overall I'm just happy the damn thing is finally lit.
Now if only there was a product which could be applied to the concrete to retain it's original concrete shade, but hide it's unsightly flaws which have appeared over the years from repairs.

I like the standard theme, red and white - they are our national colours! Throughout the hour red and white slowly change from top to bottom then the two minute mini-show at the top of the hour. I do agree that the mini show could be a little more eye popping but overall I'm just happy the damn thing is finally lit.
Now if only there was a product which could be applied to the concrete to retain it's original concrete shade, but hide it's unsightly flaws which have appeared over the years from repairs.

Granola might do the trick.

That would be one skinny donut!

Nice photos...but are they digital enhanced or real? I never saw the rainbow colour...all I have seen so far is the boring red and white.
Yeah that's right the rainbow theme was pretty common, so my understanding is all those pics are legit. I think they would be marked if they were enhanced.

As for the basic red and white theme, it's nice, but wouldn't it be awesome if they switched it up a bit. How about every week a different colour like these ones http://www.cntowerlights.com/?p=15 (one week entirely neon blue, the next green, etc.) Show off what it can do.

Or just more themed designs? Something to change it up anyway :p

Burj Dubai creeping up

The Burj Dubai tower is creeping up on the CN Tower's 553 metres (1815 feet).

Dubai tower becomes world's tallest building: developers

Sat Jul 21, 4:42 AM ET

DUBAI (AFP) - Burj Dubai, a tower rising in the booming Gulf emirate, has become the tallest building in the world at 512.1 metres (1,680 feet), surpassing Taiwan's Taipei 101 which is 508 metres (1,667 feet) tall, developers Emaar said Saturday.

Burj Dubai, or Dubai Tower, now has 141 storeys, more than any other building in the world, Emaar Properties said in a statement.

The skyscraper, scheduled for completion in 2008, is one of a string of grandiose projects taking shape in Dubai, which is part of the United Arab Emirates.

By the same logic that says the CN Tower is not currently the tallest building in the world, can't it be said that the Burj Dubai is not yet either? It doesn't have any offices and residences in it yet does it? Those floors don't look occupiable.

^ The Burj Dubai is currently in the same state as the 20th tallest building in the world, the Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea, which is a concrete shell of a skyscraper, except in the case of Ryugyong, it will never see completion since the structure was so poorly built that it's not habitable.

Emporis list of tallest skyscrapers

the desert would be the best logical place for sprawl. it boggles my mind that they would build soo many tall structures in a wasteland while here in N.A, entire forests and fertile lands are consumed for single floor structures.

Apparently they've painted a huge doughnut at the base of the CN tower for the new upcoming simpsons movie.
i got this pic from thestar website.

4lf5gsi.jpg

the desert would be the best logical place for sprawl.

... and Dubai does sprawl...

1-0609-5033-25.jpg

1-0609-5032-77.jpg

1-0609-5032-85.jpg

I think modern Dubai is trying to develop at the two extremes of the urban density scale. On one hand they are building Hong Kong-style density with massive supertall towers, while on the other hand they are building Las Vegas-style sprawl to attract local oil sheiks and foreign celebrities (among them, David Beckham). I haven't seen any photos of mid-rises going up in Dubai, the type of development that is more likely to generate urbanity.

Burj Dubai isn't occupied, but it does top the Taipei 101 at 1680 feet. Sometime early next year it'll surpass the CN Tower's height

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070722/D8QHBBEO0.html

^ The Burj Dubai is currently in the same state as the 20th tallest building in the world, the Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea, which is a concrete shell of a skyscraper, except in the case of Ryugyong, it will never see completion since the structure was so poorly built that it's not habitable.

Emporis list of tallest skyscrapers

Back