Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

You mean a "black light"... like the ones that make everything white around it glow, right?

When you look at the tower lit up, it emits a very bright colour, I'm prety sure black could be seen aswell.

Black is the absence of light or the absorbtion of light. I have a hard time believing that diodes can emit black without being able to create gravity that would suck up the entire planet. It goes against the science of light. Diodes emit light.

Black is the absence of light or the absorbtion of light. I have a hard time believing that diodes can emit black without being able to create gravity that would suck up the entire planet. It goes against the science of light. Diodes emit light.

I'm just wondering how the Color Kentics installation can produce millions of colors and color-changing effects, and can't emulate a black colour?

actually, they can emulate black. all they have to do is turn the power switch off. :D

diodes can't produce a black color. you might be confusing black with black light (UV lamp) which isn't really "black light". it's UV light. yes, there are UV diodes. there are even IR diodes.

like i was saying before, white light is more expensive to display because it has to reproduce all frequencies in the spectrum where as an individual color only reproduces a narrow band of frequencies.

white = total light (when something appears white, it is reflecting all light) or a device is generating all bands.

colors = certain frequencies of light (when something appears a color, it absorbs all the light except the frequency you are seeing which is being reflected to you) or a device is only producing certain bands.

black = absence of light. (all light is being absorbed) or none being generated.

do i have to get into rods and cones? ;)

I was thinking along the lines of putting something like a translucent black over white, e.g.

Taking a tube light and putting a translucent black film on top of it, you'll see a black colour but white is shining through it. In my lighting class, we have all sorts of coloured film that we slide on top of a stage light, and one film is a black one, when you put it on, it give a black effect with white shining through it. Giving a shaded effect.

I was just wondering whether they could reproduce that? not a solid black but translucent on white.

I'm not getting this discussion. Canada Lands Company invested 2 1/2 million bucks on 1300 LED lights to create infinite lighting possibilities and you propose covering them with black to make the lighting dark grey? Is this maybe a joke or am I a dunce?

Back