News   Apr 26, 2024
 223     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 170     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 613     0 

The Future of Bombardier

doesn't Thunder Bay do most of GO's orders? Given RER on the way, if they could land that contract, they would be safe for a long while.

doesn't Thunder Bay do most of GO's orders? Given RER on the way, if they could land that contract, they would be safe for a long while.
All GO coaches are built in Thunder Bay as directed by QP.

Its possible that an open tender can be issues for RER equipment under the new trade agreement where another supplier could get the order. Stadler could give BBD a run for the order, as well others. I believe Metrolinx has gone to market to see who can build the new rolling stock already to the point they know who to issues an RFP to. Stadler is already doing an order for SF EMU's.

Since the province is paying for this rolling stock and Ford in office, Ford can say the order goes to BBD, even if it cost more to do so. Could be a legal challenge if no bid process takes place, with the Fed's behind it, especially if they are partly funding it.

Bombardier has a better chance at this contract than the Via one; they simply didnt have any off-the-shelf solution like Siemens did. Siemens got lucky that what VIA was asking for was nearly identical to what they already built for Brightline in Florida.

Bombardier has an EMU that would be attractive to Metrolinx, The Twindexx

https://www.railwaygazette.com/news...iew/sbb-approves-pre-series-twindexx-emu.html

So they would be better poised to make an attractive bid.

Bombardier has a better chance at this contract than the Via one; they simply didnt have any off-the-shelf solution like Siemens did. Siemens got lucky that what VIA was asking for was nearly identical to what they already built for Brightline in Florida.

Bombardier has an EMU that would be attractive to Metrolinx, The Twindexx

https://www.railwaygazette.com/news...iew/sbb-approves-pre-series-twindexx-emu.html

So they would be better poised to make an attractive bid.
under the current AFP model, Bombardier wouldn't be able to submit a standalone bid for the fleet. Rather, they would need to join a consortium, bidding for the whole DBFOM package.

But what will that do for the Ontario plants? I can't see them keeping all of La Pocatiere in Quebec, Kingston, and Thunder Bay going without a significant order soon.

I'm guessing Thunder Bay will be history, given the recent expansions in Kingston, unless they think they can get the next TTC subway car order. Perhaps they'll negotiate the additional 60-car TTC order, to do it slower, using the one production line in Kingston, rather than the two in Thunder Bay. Each line seems to be able to do up to about 30 cars a year.
afaik, the via order was to have been built in quebec so thunder bay was screwed either way...

Under the contract for 133 cars for NJ, there is an option for additional 866 cars with 256 going to SEPTA for $3.6 Billion US.

Is BBD part of any consortium DBFOM package bid and if not, not looking good for Thunder Bay??

Last edited:
I would think that BBD's deadlines in Toronto and Edmonton would be easier to meet if they could churn a few cars out of Thunder Bay when the TTC order is done. Plus, there is a chance that they could get the next streetcar order if it happens before the assembly line finishes up.

Once the cars are done for Montreal, what will be next for the Quebec plant?

Quebec City's LRT comes to mind. (36 light rail trains needed by 2026)

Also, exo wants to get rid of ALL their locomotives (20 dual-mode ALP-45DPs, 10 F59PH, 11 F55PHI) to replace them with a cheaper to maintain standardized fleet.

Some additional LRVs could also be required if the new CAQ government decides to go ahead with their plan to build three LRT lines in the Montreal area by 2030.

That should keep La Pocatière busy until the STM replaces their MR73 metro trains in the 2030s.

I would think that BBD's deadlines in Toronto and Edmonton would be easier to meet if they could churn a few cars out of Thunder Bay when the TTC order is done. Plus, there is a chance that they could get the next streetcar order if it happens before the assembly line finishes up.
They already seem to have committed to 32 cars from Kingston in 2019 to TTC. I'd think the 26 Edmonton cars would have to be delivered in 2019 as well, with the 2020 opening.

By the time they start delivering the add-on TTC order in 2020, the Edmonton cars should be all but done. And they only have 76 Metrolinx cars to deliver now, after Metrolinx paid Bombardier to reduce the order from 182 to 76 cars.

There should be plenty of capacity at Kingston to build both the TTC and Metrolinx cars in 2020 and 2021. And who knows, Bombardier might negotiate to even be delivering the TTC cars into 2022. TTC certainly needs car 1 of 60 asap, but they don't need car 40 of 60 asap. But I'm pulling it from deep up my imagination here ... I've no facts to support this guess.

I'd assume that Bombardier has a good chance to build the cars for Phase 2 of the Edmonton Valley Line as well, which they announced funding for last month. Though that should open in 2027 or later.

Quebec City's LRT comes to mind. (36 light rail trains needed by 2026)

Also, exo wants to get rid of ALL their locomotives (20 dual-mode ALP-45DPs, 10 F59PH, 11 F55PHI) to replace them with a cheaper to maintain standardized fleet.

Some additional LRVs could also be required if the new CAQ government decides to go ahead with their plan to build three LRT lines in the Montreal area by 2030.

That should keep La Pocatière busy until the STM replaces their MR73 metro trains in the 2030s.

I could be wrong, but didn't exo go with CRRC?

I suspect that until Transport Canada has its typical "I'll have what she's having" moment with respect to the updated FRA regs, the Twindexx would not be allowed on any of Metrolinx' track.
Railway Age has an excellent article here on it: https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/commuterregional/for-njt-another-rolling-stock-innovation/

I read it after reading their VIA Siemens article, and thought: "Wow, this is what Metrolinx dreams about"...except Transport Canada hasn't the intellectual capacity to understand...

Last edited:

Back