News   Jun 26, 2024
 34     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Street Naming (Avenue 7?)

I really like that idea - Group of Seven Avenue, given that the McMichael Gallery is in York Region (Kleinberg), and has a bit of wit to it. At least it has the old name reflected - and everyone can still call it 7 without any confusion.

Perhaps this has been rehashed over and over, but they can't possibly think it's a good idea to rename Highway 7 to Avenue 7... If they think that "Highway" is confusing people now, wait until they try explaining to people that Avenue 7 comes after 14th Avenue and before 16th Avenue.

If you're not going to give it a meaningful name, just name it 15th Avenue and call it a day.

15th at least would follow the naming conventions they have, but I thought most jurisdictions were trying to get rid of their numbered roads (Hwy 10 --> Hurontario; Hwy 7 --> Queen/Bovaird)

I'd be happy with a simple shift from numbers to letters: Highway Seven.

What about Vamondham Road or Marrichva Street?

Avenido 7 de York? It's certainly wide enough...:)

15th at least would follow the naming conventions they have,

What naming convention? Where's 1-13? Also along Yonge, 16th is the only numbered concession in the urban area. The surviving numbers are a useless relic and should be named by extending the existing names of the streets that continue them to the west eastwards.

Last edited:
According to Wikipedia it's supposed to be York County concessions.

Though given that Queen was southern edge of the first concession and the second; Bloor was the southern edge of the second conession; Eglinton was the southern edge of the fourth concession ... clearly it's not related to the old York Township numbering.

And if you look at Markham township, the Concessions are east-west rather than north-south (hence 9th line between 8th and 9th concessions)

It would appear that 16th Avenue is between lots 15 and 16, and this is surely the origin of the name ... but why is the road between lots 5 and lot 6 called 14th Avenue - a retronym perhaps?

The the lot numbers along Yonge are somewhat different ... perhaps 16th and 14th predate the 1800s townships ... though that would make Steeles 13, Finch 12, Sheppard 11, Lawrence 10, Eglinton 9, St. Clair 8 Bloor 7, Queen 6 ... and that seems pointless ...

^^ That's because Concessions run parallel to prominent environmental features. In Toronto that was Lake Ontario, IIRC places like Markham etc were directed to (or choose to) run their concessions off of Yonge rather than, say, the rather distant Lake or the Don. I remember reading about it in the historical atlas of Toronto. Apparently that practice helps explain the slight shift in orientation to the West that the N-S concession (or side roads) streets take in Northern Toronto. Also helps explain the rediculous SW-NE orientation of the streets in Mississauga and general craziness around Barrie.

According to Wikipedia it's supposed to be York County concessions.

Though given that Queen was southern edge of the first concession and the second; Bloor was the southern edge of the second conession; Eglinton was the southern edge of the fourth concession ... clearly it's not related to the old York Township numbering.

It would appear that 16th Avenue is between lots 15 and 16, and this is surely the origin of the name ... but why is the road between lots 5 and lot 6 called 14th Avenue - a retronym perhaps?

The the lot numbers along Yonge are somewhat different ... perhaps 16th and 14th predate the 1800s townships ... though that would make Steeles 13, Finch 12, Sheppard 11, Lawrence 10, Eglinton 9, St. Clair 8 Bloor 7, Queen 6 ... and that seems pointless ...

Woodbridge Heights has it mostly right.

I posted this earlier in the thread but as it was explained to me by a Markham historian who I'd believe, the concessions in York (Markham, really) go EAST from Yonge to Durham line; 12 of them.
Then, for whatever weird reason, it rotates clockwise so Steeles becomes 13th then you have 14th, 15th and 16th etc. going north. Of course, Highway 7 is the 15th concession line and I suppose "7" overrode "15th" when it was linked to the provincial highway.

Rotates and goes clockwise ... hmm, wow, never seen that before. Technically then, if the Concessions run east-west, then I'm not sure if 13 and up are "concession" lines ...

Thanks for the history!

Concatenated naming is just plain gauche. For example: the Churwell centre at Wellesley and Church...bleck...who wants to work at Churwell?

Naming that reflects local history is much more authentic.

If they don't like the stereotypically North American "Main Street", then why not the stereotypically British "High Street"? "York High Street" anyone?

Concatenated naming is just plain gauche. For example: the Churwell centre at Wellesley and Church...bleck...who wants to work at Churwell?

Naming that reflects local history is much more authentic.

In my opinion, Hurontario Street is one of the best street names we have. It is perfect in it's simplicity and accuracy. Of course I still only refer to it by its proper designation, "Highway 10."

*ducks*

Last edited:

Back