News   Jun 17, 2024
 140     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

Street Naming (Avenue 7?)

It's like York Region's political leaders are determined to show themselves and their constituents as stupid tools. 900,000+ people, and they can't be more creative than 'Avenue 7'? 900,000+ people and there is no movement in the region to commemorate someone, anyone, deserving, with the renaming of a prominent road?

If this goes through, unopposed, as 'Avenue 7', the world will have proof that the people of York Region are stupid tools.

It's like York Region's political leaders are determined to show themselves and their constituents as stupid tools. 900,000+ people, and they can't be more creative than 'Avenue 7'? 900,000+ people and there is no movement in the region to commemorate someone, anyone, deserving, with the renaming of a prominent road?

If this goes through, unopposed, as 'Avenue 7', the world will have proof that the people of York Region are stupid tools.

Could be worse. They could have called it "Above Toronto Street" or something.

Could be worse. They could have called it "Above Toronto Street" or something.

vaughan corporate concession road?

Wow, 905 must be a dull place to not have anyone worthing naming a major road over!

How about Avenue 905!

What a terrible and uncreative name. Avenue 7. Halfway between 14th Avenue and 16th Avenue.

I was actually kind of fascinated to learn the reasoning for this numbering system. I'll probably screw up the explanation but there are 12 concessions east from Yonge Street to the Durham line.

Then it shifts around so Steeles counts as 13th, and the numbering moves north. So, Hwy 7 (obviously a provincial, not regional/local designation) is considered the 15th concession line. I don't know if there was ever a road actually known by that.

I'm not saying it makes sense and I'm definitely not saying Avenue 7 is a good name...I'm just saying.

Oh, and the population is now officially over 1 million.

“It is believed that the name of Avenue 7 is appropriate as a new name as it represents the future vision for this road as a modern, urban arterial road with a transit plan,” a staff report states.

Markham Regional Councillor Gordon Landon pointed out the name was simply not in keeping with what the road has become.

“Highway gives it the wrong connotation,” he said.

Highway 7 is urban now? I didn't realize they had reduced the road widths and made developments up close to walkable sidewalks yet. When did that happen? It must have happened after the Google street view car drove by.

I have no problem with renaming Highway 7 something else, but if you're going to rename it, rename it! Avenue 7? Honestly? What a waste of a great opporunity. I guess York Region didn't have any luminaries worth naming such an important street after. I guess Highway 7 will remain Highway 7 much longer than Highway 10 does.

Highway 7 is urban now? I didn't realize they had reduced the road widths and made developments up close to walkable sidewalks yet. When did that happen? It must have happened after the Google street view car drove by.

The term "urban" can refer to suburban areas too, like with Toronto urban area doesn't just refer to the old city of Toronto.

The term "urban" can refer to suburban areas too, like with Toronto urban area doesn't just refer to the old city of Toronto.

Wouldn't the term "suburban" refer to suburban areas? I would think urban, suburban, and rural are all different things with suburban meaning more urban than rural but not fully urban. Urban typically meaning almost no land is undeveloped and rural meaning most land is undeveloped. Urbanization being the progression between the two extremes. I look at "Avenue 7" and in the unused street right-of-way alone there is space to put significant buildings.

Wouldn't the term "suburban" refer to suburban areas? I would think urban, suburban, and rural are all different things with suburban meaning more urban than rural but not fully urban. Urban typically meaning almost no land is undeveloped and rural meaning most land is undeveloped. Urbanization being the progression between the two extremes. I look at "Avenue 7" and in the unused street right-of-way alone there is space to put significant buildings.

"suburban" is a relatively new word. If we're referring to the "urban area" of Toronto, then all Toronto and its suburbs would be included in that. The area beyond the urban area is farms. I'd include the suburbs in the "urban area". But I'm not an "urban" planner but there are "urban" planners in the "suburbs". LOL.

As the term suburban implies, it is simply a subset of urban in the urban-rural continuum. The term itself suggests that that two are not mutally exclusive. After all, suburbia still has many elements of the inner city that rural areas so do not, and share many of the same demands, the same problems as "true" urban areas do. For example, does it make sense to differentiate between the urban heat island effect and the suburban heat island effect? Or between urban smog and suburban smog?

Of course, you can look at the urban set as its own continuum where "true" urban and suburban or exurban are the extremes, sp to recognize that both extremes belong to urban.

Last edited:
I guess they haven't changed their documents since the toll-free 407 was supposed to take most of the cars off Highway 7! :p

I'd call Highway 7 pretty urban though. It can get kinda confusing when you're at Warden and 7, but it's inside an urban area, and it's urbanizing pretty quickly. York Region has biiig plans for Highway 7, including VCC, MTC and RHC, as well as density and infill all along the stretch. I'd go so far as to say that it might be subway worthy in 20 or 30 years :eek: Or at least parts of it.

Technically, "suburban" is urban, but it's a special type of urban. It describes the area of stuff outside denser cores (the best I can describe it, yes.) It's not the same kind of urban like downtown Toronto is, but it's quite urban.

I think the worry is that people'll get mixed up with 14th Ave... 7th Ave... 16th Ave?!!

They've certainly got themselves in a pickle here.

Back