News   Jun 26, 2024
 38     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Street Naming (Avenue 7?)

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but "group of seven" avenue just sounds horrible...plus it makes the signage even longer. Short names are much easier to use. Avenue seven sounds professional and urban, sort of like "5th avenue" in New York.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but "group of seven" avenue just sounds horrible...plus it makes the signage even longer. Short names are much easier to use. Avenue seven sounds professional and urban, sort of like "5th avenue" in New York.

Group of Seven Avenue could be amazing short on signs - "G7 Avenue" :rolleyes:

Correct. Queen was first called Lot Street - as that was where the first "Park Lots" - the the original concession system - were started from northwards. Also note Queen makes it all the way to the border to Scarborough, which as its own township was surveyed differently.

The concession roads were:
Lot Street/Queen Street
Bloor/Danforth
St. Clair
Eglinton
Lawrence
Wilson/York Mills
Sheppard
Finch
Steeles

What would you consider the equivalent of this list for the North/South streets in Toronto are?

Kipling
Royal York
Weston/south kingsway
Jane
Keele
Dufferin
Bathurst
Yonge
Bayview
Leslie
Vic Park
Kennedy
Markham

Thats my idea its probably wrong though

Sorta.

It's more like:
  • Highway 27/Brown's Line
  • Kipling
  • Royal York/St Philips/Weston Rds
  • Jane
  • Keele
  • Dufferin
  • Bathurst
  • Yonge
  • Bayview
  • Leslie
  • Woodbine/Don Valley Pkwy
  • Warden
  • Kennedy
  • McCowan
  • Markham
  • Morningside/Staines
  • Meadowvale

Victoria Park's alignment and spacing is contrarian to Toronto's concession road grid sequencing.

At least we'll be spared this insanity in Durham as (Durham) Highway 2 has multiple local street names that are widely used. If it weren't for that, I'm sure that Durham Council would be looking at renaming it Roger Anderson Road.

Your opinion. Avenue Seven is terrible IMHO. 7'th avenue would be a bit better but it would look out of place since there aren't any 1'st, 2'nd, ..., 8'th avenues.

Your opinion. Avenue Seven is terrible IMHO. 7'th avenue would be a bit better but it would look out of place since there aren't any 1'st, 2'nd, ..., 8'th avenues.

I agree. I'd rather just leave it Highway 7 since people know it by that name. If you're going to rename it, rename it! Don't just change the designation. There's not even any point in having a "7" in it if it's not Highway 7, if you ask me. Group of Seven is a clever compromise, but just rename it something different. Aren't there any notables in York Region who deserve a street named after them?

You can see this on the old Etobicoke township, York township (southeast and southwest) and Scarboro township maps from the 19th century.

The answer isn't as simple as you'd think ...

True enough; we're dealing with different concession patterns here.

Funny how neither St. Ides nor Fresh Start accounted for either Islington Avenue or the plethora east of Victoria Park...

Hwy 7 is stuck between 14th Avenue and 16th Avenue in Markham, which would make it "15th Avenue" (Personally I think both "Avenue 7" and "15th Avenue" sound cheesy)

At least we'll be spared this insanity in Durham as (Durham) Highway 2 has multiple local street names that are widely used.

The Markham section of Hwy 7 used to be called Wellington Street. ( Wikipedia article)

Last edited:
Victoria Park's alignment and spacing is contrarian to Toronto's concession road grid sequencing.

Victoria Park was the start of Scarborough Township, with its own system. Pharmacy (another concession line) is really close to Vic Park, but that's common near township boundaries (same with Steeles and Passmore to the north).

Hwy 7 is stuck between 14th Avenue and 16th Avenue in Markham, which would make it "15th Avenue" (Personally I think both "Avenue 7" and "15th Avenue" sound cheesy)

The Markham section of Hwy 7 used to be called Wellington Street. ( Wikipedia article)

I actually like 15th Avenue. It would be a good name if they decide to keep 14th and 16th. But if they plan to rename those as well, then no point in making it 15th.

Wellington Street sounds good to me, although we also have the Wellington St downtown.

Back