News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 859     0 

Street Naming (Avenue 7?)

York Region: possibly the only thing more ridiculous than Durham.

Suburban Toronto is like some sort of twilight zone sometimes. Some of these politicians and bureaucrats out here sure are deranged.

Avenue 7. For real. Sounds like the name of some demented retail operation or brand of clothing.

Suburban Toronto is like some sort of twilight zone sometimes. Some of these politicians and bureaucrats out here sure are deranged.

Avenue 7. For real. Sounds like the name of some demented retail operation or brand of clothing.

I think it's some kind of misguided desire to hold onto the "Highway 7" brand identity. They really just need a new name. Why not name it Queen Street like it is in Brampton?

Why not call it VauRichMark Way (VRM Way, pronounced Vroom way)? ;)

I'm kind of meh on this, but I do agree it's a silly name. Main, Queen, York or something like that would be more relevant. We could have even named it after someone famous... Group of seven ave? Hey! :)

Whoa, dudes. York Avenue!

Nope, that sounds really bad.

Why don't they just keep it highway 7? I know that it makes it sound all suburban and not transit loving or sustainable, but that's really drilled into people's heads, and simply renaming it to "avenue 7" would result in a) a pretty stupid sounding road and b) a road with little to no character.
Imagine what it would be like if Highway 7, 30 years from now, had solid medium-high density development all the way from the 400 to Kennedy/McCowan, with a successful BRT system (if a subway isn't proposed by then!), three and a half important downtown areas and transit-oriented, multicultural suburban communities living around it? People will go "why the hell is it called highway 7? And you get into the teary old story about how and evil man named Mike Harris decided to kill the full potential of the 407 for 99 years, seemingly forever damning York's second main artery to a life of constant congestion and unlivable streetscapes. Then you talk about the beautiful transformation and incredible urban planning that transformed that once dead highway into something completely different, and that the name was kept as a reminder of where we all came from, and how far we still have to go.

I for one, endorse just keeping it goddamn Highway 7

Over the top. But I can't help but agree. Sometimes I think all of the TOronto area is a twilight zone. There are some really crazy councillors in Toronto as well.

I said this already, but why don't they name it after a prominent historical landowner who lived at the 7/Yonge intersection, which is how Toronto's east-west arterials got their names. That seems so obvious.

BTW, is Avenue 7 supposed to be applied across all of York Region?

I said this already, but why don't they name it after a prominent historical landowner who lived at the 7/Yonge intersection, which is how Toronto's east-west arterials got their names. That seems so obvious.

If they did do that, what would it be called? It sounds like a good idea.

If they did do that, what would it be called? It sounds like a good idea.

Langstaff. (awesome source for such things)

Indeed, I reckon a fair chunk of that corridor was once called "Langstaff Rd", until it was realigned slightly north at Yonge leaving only the vestigial bits of Langstaff Rd. we have today.

It's worth bearing in mind that Highwayvenue 7 dips and runs along the next concession line south (the equivalent of Centre St/Green Lane/14th Avenue) in Concord/Woodbridge. So that was never really Langstaff Rd.

FWIW, I really like Woodbridge Heights' suggestion of "Group of Seven Avenue." It could still be "Seven" informally, but at least have the dignity of a proper name.

Langstaff. (awesome source for such things)

Indeed, I reckon a fair chunk of that corridor was once called "Langstaff Rd", until it was realigned slightly north at Yonge leaving only the vestigial bits of Langstaff Rd. we have today.

It's worth bearing in mind that Highwayvenue 7 dips and runs along the next concession line south (the equivalent of Centre St/Green Lane/14th Avenue) in Concord/Woodbridge. So that was never really Langstaff Rd.

FWIW, I really like Woodbridge Heights' suggestion of "Group of Seven Avenue." It could still be "Seven" informally, but at least have the dignity of a proper name.

Group of Seven is actually a good idea. I didn't realize the double meaning until you pointed out *Captain Picard facepalm*

I think it's some kind of misguided desire to hold onto the "Highway 7" brand identity.
What's this brand identity you speak of? Choked-up truck route in the west or miles of nothing in the east?

Highway 7's brand to me is the stretch between Peterborough and Ottawa, not the urban highway of southern York.

I'm surprised they're not naming it after one of the local development dons.

I really think that keeping the 7 would be great. I don't think there's any good name they could come up with for Highway 7 that would stick as well as Highway 7.

Unless they did a kind of Group of Seventh Avenue. That way, it could be "Group of Seven," Seventh Avenue, or even keeping Highway 7, and people will still associate with what is currently Highway 7. Just calling it Group of Seven Avenue as a kind of for show name would reflect on the area's history, as well as making it seem less of a highway, as it now. People can say "7th Avenue" or "Highway 7" or maybe even "Group of Seventh" or something, and they'll know what they're talking about.

Quite an ingenious name, actually. As long as it's acceptable to also call it 7th Avenue :D

Back