News   Jul 31, 2024
 797     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 715     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 530     0 

Spadina Subway Extension

Why isn't the propsed Steeles West station located closer to the Jane and Steeles intersection, where there are some apartment blocks, retail strips, the pioneer village, and more bus connections? The proposed location is nothing but an empty field and a UPS warehouse.

And most of the station names have gotta go. The whole tendency to use so many easts and wests is unecessary and confusing, especially when you take future subway expansion into consideration. I would at least change Sheppard West to Chesswood and Steeles West to Black Creek, while York University and Vaughan Centre would remain the same. Haven't decided yet on the others.

410278284_18567118a4.jpg

I would like the expansion to be constructed with this option in mind. I think that a Sheppard West expansion to York interlining for those stations will improve both the viability of the expansion and the ridership of Sheppard. It opens up several ridership opportunities that the current system does not, especially if Sheppard were to be expanded east to SCC and west to York.

Even still, you to approach this with caution because the Vaughan portion of the subway is only useful for people heading south to Toronto or north to Vaughan past York University. What if most people in VCC work in York
VIVA (hwy 7)
or Peel Region?
VIVA/Acceleride or the 407 GO bus
What if the new office towers are filled with workers from Barrie
Go train and VIVA
and Brampton?
VIVA/Acceleride

...then again, we WERE talking about the subway extension. Though I think it has great potential, especially with Brampton's future "brt" feeding into it

When I see "brt" in quotes, I think of someone giving someone a raspberry...

A bus-only road along Highway 403 and Eastgate Parkway from Burnhamthorpe Rd. to Eglinton Ave.
-When Toronto reporters write about Mississauga and clearly know nothing about the city.

Uh, I think that's accurate, but confusing. 403/Burnhamthorpe Road (near the 407 interchange) to 427/Eglinton Avenue, past where Eastgate ends. So the termini are correct.

Another fine spmarshall Reality Check.

Why isn't the propsed Steeles West station located closer to the Jane and Steeles intersection...The proposed location is nothing but an empty field and a UPS warehouse.

The reasoning behind that was they needed the vacant property for the regional bus terminal which is supposed to house between 10-20 routes (YRT/TTC/GO/Acceleride). However that was back when the line was only going as far as Steeles so it's neccessity has deminished. It also gets the line through as little of York U as possible and to VCC faster this way.

The whole tendency to use so many easts and wests is unecessary and confusing, especially when you take future subway expansion into consideration.

Confusing as it may be, it'd be more confusing to deviate from the West trend the Spadina line has going for it to just picking some arbitrary side street or local landmark as a namesake. The University Line is annoying that way, and while Downsview (the true Sheppard West) is misnamed there's no point to people getting lost for the sake of correcting a redundancy.

I think that a Sheppard West expansion to York interlining for those stations will improve both the viability of the expansion and the ridership of Sheppard.

Why couldn't they just use the interchange at Downsview? This would impede expansion any further westbound, so instead of reaching out to a totally new area of the city currently an hour away from the subway, all that would do is further marginalize the few York/Vaughan passengers you'd attract in the first place.

especially if Sheppard were to be expanded east to SCC and west to York.

What about Jane-Finch, Hwy 400 employment area, Albion Mall area, Rexdale-Dixon, Skyway Industrial Park, the airport, Woodbine Racetrack, Humber College and Brampton gateway? These are all potential trippers/nodes that an extension west of Downsview could accomplish.

It will allegedly open in 2014 (7 years). Nice to look forward to if you're in elementary school now (i.e. JK to grade 6).

2014 is a long way away. Couldn't they open one station a year instead? There are 6 stations after all (Sheppard West, Finch West, York University, Steeles, Hwy 407 and Vaughan Corporate Centre).

dashingdan:

Each of the station would become a terminius, and I think they'd have to build scissors crossing before one as a result.

AoD

It'd only be for a year or so, so I think they could dispense with the TTCs usual standards for a "terminus" station, e.g. for bathrooms and whatnot.

he wasn't talking about that (wait, ONLY terminuses have bathrooms?!?!) he was talking about the crossover

Degnaw:

Thank you, that's exactly what I meant. That term seem to have escaped me today.

AoD

Don't they always put crossovers between stations nowadays anyway? I seem to remember reading somewhere that they have them between all the Sheppard Line stations. Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

they said construction could start as soon as this summer. what's the chances of that happening? do they have the equipment yet? TBM?

Uh, I think that's accurate, but confusing. 403/Burnhamthorpe Road (near the 407 interchange) to 427/Eglinton Avenue, past where Eastgate ends. So the termini are correct.

Another fine spmarshall Reality Check.

Um no, the busway does not go anywhere near Burnhamthorpe, or the 407 for that matter. It also doesn't make sense to say that it terminates at Eglinton when it runs along Eglinton itself for a considerable distance.

A more accurate description might be "A bus-only road along 403, Eastgate and Eglinton, from Hurontario to Renforth."

Another fine Doady Reality Check.

As for the subway to Vaughan, I think all the controversy about this extension is misplaced. It will actual have extremely high ridership, at least up York University, which is a huge trip generator. VCC is another story but it still has plenty of time before the subway is actual built and in operation to develop and intensify. Plus, the new mayor is a lot different than the old one; she is a lot more supportive of high-density and transit.

I also don't understand the lack of support of Mississauga Transitway also. You guys do realize the 407 Transitway will basically be an extension of this, don't you? So eventually the transitway will connect the Urban Growth Centres of Oakville, Mississauga, Richmond Hill, Markham and Pickering?

Back