News   Jul 31, 2024
 863     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 725     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 536     0 

Spadina Subway Extension

^in Markham, 6 (ugh) lanes to sciberras rd. At least, there's been an EA for a widening there.

so how long is the construction supposed to take?

so is it safe to say;

it took the sheppard line 8 years to build, and it's 5.5 km which equals .6875 km/yr.

in length the extension is going to be 8.7 km so that makes 12 years?

"...a bunch of suburban projects. Nothing for central Toronto, where transit use is heaviest."

Anything to make this a pro-Ontario project as opposed to Toronto-centricism I guess :rolleyes ! It really is a blow when Yonge to Steeles could've sufficed YR and BD to Sherway, Peel. Meantime the core's still trapped in a streetcar retrogradation.

"Any subway news is good news."

True, I'm just trying to think of ways I could use the new extension since going north of Yorkdale has been a rarity for me thus far.

"in length the extension is going to be 8.7 km so that makes 12 years?"

:eek if it took that long the earliest batch of freshmen York students to fully get use out of it, are still in kindergarden!

Pretty amazing how completely ignored the area with the vast majority of transit ridership (central TO) is. I guess those of us who actually depend on transit are being punished for it.

Pretty amazing how completely ignored the area with the vast majority of transit ridership (central TO) is.
Same can be said for the 905 area's major transit corridors - Hurontario and Yonge streets. At least there will be dedicated transit lanes on Yonge, though we all know how well those often don't work.

It's not just central Toronto that's been neglected. What about northern Scarborough? What about Etobicoke? If there's any place that really need busways, it's in the inner suburbs of Toronto where buses are more of a necessity to commuters than an amenity. Mississauga and Brampton deserve busways, but perhaps the money going to Viva, Durham Region and roads could be better spent on Toronto.

(I certainly don't want to see the money going to Durham be spent on a study that says the TTC should expand the SRT all the way to Oshawa... see the article posted in the SRT thread)

The subway is a half-victory. It shows that subways are still relevant, but the destination for this extension isn't (and I don't mean York U).

does it really need to cost $2 billion? how many people would travel to the university via the spadina line?

for the area the subway is going through, it should be open cut construction, at grade, elevated, etc. and cost half or less the current price tag.

the ttc seems to be liking the "boring" method as it probably offers longer life spans for the tunnels, and more structural support since circles are stronger than squares

VCC hopefully will develop NYCC like.
Y'know, a Vaughan with a subway is a little like the mule with a spinning wheel. No one knows how they got it and danged if they knows how to use it.

In other words, I'm skeptical. It would be interesting to head up there with a video camera and ask them about what level of development they think this should mean.

But still, good to see some subway construction. If I were Miller (or McGunity) I'd announce massive development plans on all those industrial lands up there. The line could end up being profitable if we allow tens of thousands of units to be built along the line.

for the area the subway is going through, it should be open cut construction, at grade, elevated, etc. and cost half or less the current price tag.
That's exactly what I recommended a few months ago; people were saying how the line would have to be rebuilt after a few dozen years. (I've since become a convert to undergroundedness)

Why should the feds pay for a local York Region Road (Highway 7 in Markham)? I can see major highways, but a 6-laning of a regular suburban arterial?

I guess the Durham Region BRT would be a Viva/Acceleride type service on Highway 2, probably the only long, major transit corridor there (and it does have decent ridership).

^probably because the EA "made provisions for future rapid transit services" (has a median)

Back