News   Jul 31, 2024
 866     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 725     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 536     0 

Spadina Subway Extension

That's exactly what I recommended a few months ago; people were saying how the line would have to be rebuilt after a few dozen years. (I've since become a convert to undergroundedness)

rebuilt? track has to be replaced anyway after a certain amount of time and i would think tunnels require more upkeep.

rebuilt? track has to be replaced anyway after a certain amount of time and i would think tunnels require more upkeep.

It's more than just the rails. Being exposed to the elements put on a strain on the materials used. It's like the Gardinar- you need to do more than just repave it. Eventually the entire thing will start to crumble if they put off the regular maintenance. You don't get those problems with the tunnels unless the buildings going in above start to put support beams too close to the tunnel or cause the ground above to shift drastically, but that doesn't happen thanks to the long winded development process @ city hall.

Why should the feds pay for a local York Region Road (Highway 7 in Markham)? I can see major highways, but a 6-laning of a regular suburban arterial?

Answer: Jim Flaherty.

Toronto saves money by extending the subway to VCC so that the municipal third is split even further. The additional length will attract more riders, most of whom may be new to the TTC. Could Toronto's portion of the bill be spent in a better place? Sure, but it might be wise to grab the provincial and federal money now while it's being offered.

2 billion could be better spent elsewhere. if this project doesn't work out, it's the last time we could see such investment for a very long time.

inflating ridership figures by counting the ghosts from beechwood cemetary won't work. :eek

i seriously hope this line pays off.

One can only hope!

Maybe the city will make noise about what a "next" building phase should be.

Toronto saves money by extending the subway to VCC so that the municipal third is split even further.

Why on God's earth does it appear we're so strapped for cash? Isn't this one the most expensive cities in the world to live in, our taxes alone could fund this? The last determinant in building subways should be an one-sixth cost savings.

The additional length will attract more riders, most of whom may be new to the TTC.

They'll have to be bused in. As yet there's no significant housing projects surrounding the pathway to guarantee heavy walk-in usage.

Sure, but it might be wise to grab the provincial and federal money now while it's being offered.

I still think we could have pushed more for other projects instead of allowing a 905 pigeonhead dictate unilaterally for the sake of votes to run a line into his riding.

it's the last time we could see such investment for a very long time.

Dang if only this were Spain :smokin ! 53 years of subways yet several parts of downtown are inaccessible but the 10 farms at Hwy 7 are. I don't know how many of you frequently need downtown on a daily basis, but to me I can't fathom why or rather how we've got by this long without a Queen subway, surface transit is just terrible. So how everyone feels 20, 000 potential new customers in Vaughan are suddenly more important than a quarter million existing commuters downtown is beyond me!

Maybe the city will make noise about what a "next" building phase should be.

In order of importance...
1. Queen-DRL
2. SRT conversion
3. BD to Sherway/Dixie
4. Eglinton-Pearson RT or subway Phase One
5. Sheppard Downsview to Agincourt
6. Yonge to Langstaff
7. Don Mills RT

It's not that your point lacks validity, but there is no "there" there with respect to VCC at the moment.

Who knows. Maybe it'll be the start of a long-term funding of new subways in the city.

Re: Re: $697M seals subway deal - spadina extension

Subway a thrill ride for Vaughan
TheStar.com - News - Subway a thrill ride for Vaughan
$3 billion windfall a boost for 905 transit, though Miller warns it's just a start

March 04, 2007
Jim Byers
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

Overdue. Hugely welcome. But only just a start.

GTA politicians reacted with emotions ranging from uncontrolled glee to cautious optimism yesterday at news that the Tory government in Ottawa is ready to throw a huge pile of cash at everything from a subway extension to York University and Vaughan to better bus service in car-crazy Mississauga, Brampton and York Region.

As reported yesterday by Bruce Campion-Smith in the Star, Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Premier Dalton McGuinty this week will announce some $3 billion in public spending on public transit in the GTA – just as talk of a federal election heats up across the country.

"We're all just thrilled in Vaughan," Mayor Linda Jackson told the Star.

"It's a great day for all of York Region and all residents of the GTA."

Jackson said the subway extension, which has been talked about for two decades and represents the first subway in the 905, will enable her city to intensify development in the city centre as well as help the environment.

The promise of new funds "is the first spike in the development of an overall GTA transit network," a more restrained Toronto Mayor David Miller said yesterday.

"The York subway is a very important transportation connection in Toronto and York Region.

"It's good they're paying attention to transit. But we hope this is a sign that both governments are moving to permanent, sustainable funding for transit so we can build networks ... in Scarborough, Calgary and Montreal."

Miller has talked in the past about building a series of dedicated streetcar lines in North Etobicoke, Scarborough and along Don Mills Rd. and Eglinton Ave.

Jackson, meanwhile, said as great as the subway extension will be for Vaughan, the money to help York Region build dedicated bus lanes is just as important.

"Residents of York Region have a love affair with their cars, and this is a big step," the mayor said.

"You can build subways but they take a long time. The changes for VIVA (York Region's bus network) can be almost immediate."

In Mississauga, Mayor Hazel McCallion cautioned the busway planned for her city won't be ready until 2009.

"It's good that the money's starting to flow, but I don't know what impact this will have on gridlock.

"In the short term, it does nothing."

TTC chair and Toronto Councillor Adam Giambrone said the subway extension, which will cost Ottawa, Queen's Park and the City of Toronto andYork Region some $2 billion, won't be ready until 2014.

Ottawa will pay $697 million as its share of the subway extension, as part of its total transit contribution of more than $1 billion. The subway will run 8.7 kilometres from Downsview Station to the Vaughan City centre, with a stop at York University.

Other projects that will get federal money include:

A bus-only road along Highway 403 and Eastgate Parkway from Burnhamthorpe Rd. to Eglinton Ave.

Brampton's AcceleRide program, aimed at speeding up buses in the car-dependent city;

A program to get York Region buses out of clogged roads and into dedicated bus-only lanes;

Widening Highway 7 and looking at an extension of Highway 407 east to link up with Highway 401.

A study of rapid transit options for Durham Region.

"We're symbolically piercing the 416/905 barrier, which is huge," said Toronto Councillor Brian Ashton, a member of the newly created Greater Toronto Transportation Authority.

Ashton said the fact so much money is being poured into the suburbs recognizes that traffic in the 905 is just as bad, if not worse, than in Toronto.

That's the point Miller makes when he rejects the idea of a congestion tax on cars coming into downtown Toronto.

Tomorrow in Montreal, Miller and the other big-city mayors in the caucus of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities are scheduled to unveil their plan for a national transit strategy.

anyone know if this is more or less accurate?

PreferAligApril.jpg

Should be... that's from the official EA right?

Too bad there's a 407 transitway station without the 407 transitway.

Mixed emotions I guess. On the one hand this is great news, a step forward. I don't really think the argument that "money could have been spent better" is particularly useful in discussion about public infrastructure spending because frankly political opportunism is the prime motivator behind almost all such funding anywhere. On the other hand 2014 as a subway completion date for such a minimal system upgrade(keeping in mind this likely is all the subway transit expansion funding we will see for almost a decade) quite simply means that our leadership doesn't get it and there is something fundamentally broken both in the procedures we use to implement infrastructure investments and in our entire governing structure.

A bus-only road along Highway 403 and Eastgate Parkway from Burnhamthorpe Rd. to Eglinton Ave.
When Toronto reporters write about Mississauga and clearly know nothing about the city.

Toronto saves money by extending the subway to VCC so that the municipal third is split even further.
Don't forget that as the line gets longer the total cost increases. If the subway ended at Steeles, Toronto would pay 100% of 1.5 billion dollars. Because it ends at Highway 7, Toronto pays 60% of 2.5 billion. If it ended in North Bay, Toronto would pay 1% of 150 billion. Either way, Toronto gets stuck with 1.5 billion, split three ways of course.

As for the success of VCC, I'm sure that while the planning will be atrocious, the density will be there. Vaughan is actually building as many if not more highrises than any other municipality in York Region. Just got to Promenade Mall for proof.

Even still, you to approach this with caution because the Vaughan portion of the subway is only useful for people heading south to Toronto or north to Vaughan past York University. What if most people in VCC work in York or Peel Region? What if the new office towers are filled with workers from Barrie and Brampton?

If VCC achieves a very optimistic 20% modal split, and an even more optimistic 50% of people heading south each day, you'd need a population of 100,000 people to generate just 10,000 trips on the subway. Yonge Eglinton, with maybe a 60% nodal split and 60% of people heading downtown only needs about 28000 people to generate the same subway ridership.

And don't forget that given those figures, Vaughan would add 80,000 new cars to the road while Yonge Eglinton adds only 11,000 cars.

Back