News   Aug 01, 2024
 74     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 742     0 

Spadina Subway Extension

Really sick of things like tax increment financing being described as "innovative." American cities have been doing it for years if not decades. It's only innovative if, capital-raising wise, a government's head is as far up it's you-know-what as ours is. Innovative like, say, a 'smart card' for transit. Ooooh! Sounds like something out of Star Trek!

If the federal gov doesn't have money for this, then they don't got money for the world expo we want to bid for. Kiss that idea goodbye. I'm not stupid, and i'm sure most of you are aware that we do have a pro-west government, and they couldn't care less about Toronto or any other city east of us.

"Simply put, expanding the Yonge line would not allow it to carry more passengers."

I'm not sure how many new passengers a 2km extension would lure, but it would be fantastic for existing riders and possibly double the size of the North York Centre condo fiesta. 2km X however many hundreds of buses use Yonge each day = a decent chunk of money saved and Centrepoint's NE parking lot could become a new bus terminal.

"Since they already have $1.4 billion, why not just build it to York U"

The city will probably save money by having it go into Vaughan since they'll then be forced to chip in. "Three committed governments" seems to be Ontario, Toronto, and York Region - subtract York Region if it doesn't go past York...

"Very good news if you live in Vaughan."

Depending on who's paying for it, only if they start building at the sinkhole and move the TBMs south :)

I don't really care if we have a pro-west government. These thinks are cyclical and if they get some extra cash this round so be it. What I worry about is anti-GTA sentiment in the Federal Government. We already know we aren't going to get our fair share we just came off a decade with strong GTA representation and little to show for it but a false perception elsewhere that we enjoy disproportionate Federal Funding. I do wish however that anyone but Jim Flarety represented us.

Is the Spadina extension planned to go to Hwy. 7 or just Steeles? I remember hearing it was supposed to go to 7.

Will York Region still share the capital costs if it only goes to Steeles? If it's going to be extended at all, it really should go to #7...

$697M seals subway deal - spadina extension

Harper and McGuinty to announce federal funding next week for long-awaited extension of Spadina line into York Region
Mar 03, 2007 04:30 AM
Bruce Campion-Smith
OTTAWA BUREAU

OTTAWA–The final piece of the puzzle is in place to build the first-ever subway line beyond the border of Toronto into York Region, with a stop at York University, the Star has learned.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Premier Dalton McGuinty will announce next week that the federal government will pump $697 million into the plan to extend the Spadina subway from Downsview station. The province and the municipalities of Toronto and York have already committed money.

As well, the federal government will announce funding for:

# A Mississauga transitway, a bus-only road along Highway 403 and Eastgate Parkway from Burnhamthorpe Rd. to Eglinton Ave. E.

# Brampton's $280-million Acceleride project, meant to speed bus service. Ontario has already committed $95 million for the improvements.

# An expansion of York Region's Viva bus system. York Region officials want to get buses on to dedicated lanes.

# The widening of Highway 7, in the amount of $55 million.

# An environmental assessment to extend Highway 407 eastward to link up with Highway 401. This would go through federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's Whitby-Oshawa riding.

# A $5 million study of rapid transit in Durham.

The announcement comes with both the federal and provincial governments attempting to prove they are serious about protecting the environment. More public transit means fewer cars on the road and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.

It comes with the possibility of a federal election this spring, and winning Ontario seats is a must for Harper to win a majority government. On March 19, the federal budget will likely have a lot of goodies for Quebec, and the Tories wanted to make a big splash in advance in Ontario.

McGuinty faces re-election Oct. 10.

Once contributions from Ontario and the various municipalities are factored in, the projects represent a $3.2-billion investment to help GTA commuters get around.

In December, Flaherty declared, "public transit generally is significant ... and environmentally important."

At the heart of the announcement is the $2-billion extension of the TTC's University-Spadina subway line to York University and into York Region to help cope with population growth north of Toronto.

About six kilometres of the 8.6-kilometre line will be in Toronto. A "preferred alignment" on the TTC website shows stations at Sheppard West, Finch West, York University, Steeles West in Toronto and Highway 407 and Vaughan Centre in York Region.

There has been a demand for years to make York University more accessible for its 65,000 students and staff.

The provincial government has already set aside $670 million for its one-third share of the huge project. Toronto and York Region last September set aside long-standing differences and agreed on a deal to split their $670-million share of construction work.

Despite active lobbying by the province and municipal officials, the federal contribution has been the hold-up, until now.

Now, thanks to this announcement, workers could break ground as early as this summer on the 8.6-kilometre extension from Downsview station, through the York campus and across Steeles Ave. to the Vaughan town centre.

The negotiations around the subway funding date back months with Flaherty and his Ontario counterpart, Greg Sorbara, frequently discussing the province's demand for additional transit cash. The extension goes through Sorbara's Vaughan-King-Aurora riding.

"We're going to move ahead on that project and I believe that at the right time the federal government will be a partner. There is a huge political risk for them if they're not," Sorbara said after one of their meetings last December. Speculation has been rampant for weeks that an announcement was near but it was only on Thursday that the federal cabinet gave the green light for the spending, sources say.

News of the announcement comes as big city mayors, including Toronto Mayor David Miller, gather in Montreal tomorrow and Monday to discuss plans for a national transit strategy.

With files from Allan Woods

construction could start this summer? wow! :eek

Ontario's Finance Minister gets a subway line, Canada's Finance Minister gets the 407. Neat! :rolleyes

Good to see the subway extension to York. VCC hopefully will develop NYCC like.

As well, the federal government will announce funding for:
...a bunch of suburban projects. Nothing for central Toronto, where transit use is heaviest.

No money for new streetcars? oh well...

and besides, there aren't any real projects slated for downtown anyways. Streetcars are more long-term

Something for everyone - Miller, Sorbara, Flaherty, Hazel, Susan.

I don't think the money will be spent entirely in the right places (Vaughan section of subway, Mississauga busway), not the central Toronto, but I'm not exactly Steve Munro on this one - I'll take it. All the attention is on the projects above, so we need momentum on things like DRL, Scarborough, real LRT.

I am curious what part of Highway 7 will be widened, though. In York Region, or is this somewhere else (Durham, or even Guelph-Kitchener?)

Back