News   May 10, 2024
 134     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 591     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 864     1 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

If the intention of SmartTrack is to reach the Airport Corporate Centre and in the future Square 1/Mississauga, then using the UPX routing is much better than Eglinton West.

SmartTrack in Mississauga is meant to hit the major office nodes that follow the 401. Basically Airport Corporate Centre to the Mississauga Road/401 area. The intention is to connect the region's major office areas from Mississauga to downtown Toronto to Markham. That's why they planned it to go along Eglinton West. Square 1 doesn't factor into this as they are not expecting much new office space there.

That definitely is indeed an interesting option. The UPX Spur was built for about $50 million/km. Given that it isn't showing any stations along that section, presumably that would be the about the same cost per km. It would be interesting to see what the cost difference and what the projected time difference would be between using Eglinton vs using the Kitchener/427 alignment.

If Eglinton West is elevated (7km x $50M = $350M), plus stations (7 x $100M per station = $700M) is $1000M. This is about $500M more than the on-street option.

It is amazing that nobody is suggesting this as a means to get acceptance to send the SmartTrack farther north to Brampton. A small price to pay to save the Billion or two in not having to tunnel SmartTrack under Eglinton.

Again its not meant to go to Brampton. Its meant to serve the Mississauga business parks along the 401.
What's the basis for this theory? I've never heard anything but Smart Track going to Renforth and Stouffville. But today we've got theories that it's going along the 401 and to Scarborough Centre - but I haven't seen anything other than here.

What's the basis for this theory? I've never heard anything but Smart Track going to Renforth and Stouffville. But today we've got theories that it's going along the 401 and to Scarborough Centre - but I haven't seen anything other than here.

Bonnie Crombie hinted at converting the Mississauga Transitway to LRT (Specifically called out Smart Track)...

Steve Mahoney's also include a Smart Track extension into Mississauga.

Last edited:
Bonnie Crombie hinted at converting the Mississauga Transitway to LRT (Specifically called out Smart Track)...
When was this? Why would she move the transitway to be along the 401?

Steve Mahoney's also include a Smart Track extension into Mississauga.
When? I thought he'd retired from politics - surely he can say anything he wants - but it carries no weight.

When was this? Why would she move the transitway to be along the 401?

When? I thought he'd retired from politics - surely he can say anything he wants - but it carries no weight.

I'm on my phone, but a quick google search turns up both plans. Hers didn't call for it to run along the 401, as the transit way isn't on the 401.

His specifically called for a line along the 401 to continue Smart Track through Mississauga. He was a candidate, so yes his platform did carry weight.

SmartTrack wasn't conceived by John Tory sitting down and drawing lines on a map. It originally comes from an organization called The Strategic Regional Research Alliance. Tory's team took their plan (THE BUSINESS CASE FOR THE REGIONAL RELIEF LINE ) and renamed it SmartTrack. The original plan can be found here.

Check out their map. The red dots are office buildings.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 7.50.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 7.50.24 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 415
Where are these new calls though for it to follow the 401, and go to Scarborough Centre? This stuff is all ancient history.

Mississauga Rail Link
The Mississauga Rail Link will involve building approximately 20 km of new rail along the 401 corridor beginning at the Airport Corporate Centre. This line would link with the regional relief line, proposed by John Tory as Smart Track, which would connect from Union Station to the Airport Corporate Centre.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n...SSAUGA_PLAN_Backgrounder_Final.pdf?1411659025

http://static.squarespace.com/stati...SRRA - Business Case Regional Relief Line.pdf

Not as ancient as you say.

Last edited:
Mississauga Rail Link
The Mississauga Rail Link will involve building approximately 20 km of new rail along the 401 corridor beginning at the Airport Corporate Centre. This line would link with the regional relief line, proposed by John Tory as Smart Track, which would connect from Union Station to the Airport Corporate Centre.

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.n...SSAUGA_PLAN_Backgrounder_Final.pdf?1411659025

http://static.squarespace.com/stati...SRRA - Business Case Regional Relief Line.pdf

Not as ancient as you say.
Both documents date from before the last election when Rob Ford was mayor. That is ancient history. I thought this was being raised for both Scarborough Centre and Highway 401 because there were recent comments. I'm assuming that isn't the case.

Both documents date from before the last election when Rob Ford was mayor. That is ancient history. I thought this was being raised for both Scarborough Centre and Highway 401 because there were recent comments. I'm assuming that isn't the case.

The municipal election was last year... The first document is from the election that took place in 2014 (It's been less than 6 months now), as I have pointed out twice now. The second document is from 2013 and is where Smart Track came from as Ed pointed out.

6 months to 2 years isn't considered ancient history, especially considering that part of that 2013 document is now in the process of being implemented.

Also, Ed never said "Run along the 401". He said it is intended to serve the business parks along the 401. The route along Eglinton would still accommodate these areas.

The municipal election was last year... The first document is from the election that took place in 2014 (It's been less than 6 months now), as I have pointed out twice now. The second document is from 2013 and is where Smart Track came from as Ed pointed out.

6 months to 2 years isn't considered ancient history, especially considering that part of that 2013 document is now in the process of being implemented.
I referred to the 2013 document and the 2014 election campaign in Mississauga as ancient history before you then linked to the documents that others had already mentioned. I'm really not sure what point your trying to drive home here other than you didn't read the entire discussion before posting. And where is there any mention of Scarborough Centre in these documents?

Also, Ed never said "Run along the 401". He said it is intended to serve the business parks along the 401. The route along Eglinton would still accommodate these areas.
The image Ed posted while discussing this clearly showed DumbTrack going along the 401 to Erin Mills. It's over 6.5 km from Eglinton to Erin Mills along the 401, and 7.5 km to the transit. Running DumbTrack along that corridor WILL NOT server the business parks near the Erin Mills/401 interchange.

Last edited:
I referred to the 2013 document and the 2014 election campaign in Mississauga as ancient history before you then linked to the documents that others had already mentioned. I'm really not sure what point your trying to drive home here other than you didn't read the entire discussion before posting. And where is there any mention of Scarborough Centre in these documents?

The image Ed posted while discussing this clearly showed DumbTrack going along the 401 to Erin Mills. It's over 6.5 km from Eglinton to Erin Mills along the 401, and 7.5 km to the transit. Running DumbTrack along that corridor WILL NOT server the business parks near the Erin Mills/401 interchange.

Dude, you're pretty dense.

You asked what the basis of his theory was. The basis was that Smart Track would serve Mississauga's business parks. Saying that an Eglinton alignment would not serve the Meadowvale business park does not make that true. The Mississauga Transitway is built to accommodate that same area using the Eglinton/403 alignment, so there is already precedent and ridership along this route to justify it. Converting it to LRT or as a possible Smart Track extension, or continuing Smart Track along the 401 were both discussed during the last municipal election in Mississauga. This is why people are bringing it up. It's not ancient history. How many times do I need to say it?

Back