News   May 31, 2024
 1.1K     9 
News   May 31, 2024
 3.9K     2 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.1K     0 

SmartTrack (Proposed)

It is shenanigans to some, but this is very helpful towards the GO RER initiative, and will help it survive a couple changes of government. Even Harper (now understandably probably spooked by the Alberta earthquake) had to listen intently to Tory a few months ago. Tory needs to set the groundwork to accelerate and lubricate GO RER along, including public support. Make GO RER really hard to cancel. Metrolinx is willing to play along.

I just hope he listens to "Chop the Eg spur! Extend ECLRT instead!" screams once the long awaited "save face" report report comes out and recommends just that to save billions.

Last edited:
Other threads, including the ECLRT thread indicates that a wide median was kept on Eglinton for a future LRT, even as the old right-of-way to the side was sold off for development. Even as we curse that mis-decision that could have made SmartTrack much cheaper; let's see what can be done, shall we?

One must ponder a thought experiment what will happen to that wide median. Obviously, it would be useful to utilize that space to benefit a brand new Eglinton GO RER corridor (aka "SmartTrack"), even if it won't run on the surface. How do we greatly reduce the cost of creating an Eglinton corridor, so that it's far less than, say, the cost of a Scarborough subway, km for km?

Thinking: What will run down Eglinton median... The Crosstown or the SmartTrack? And how much would it cost to extend beyond Airport Corporate Centre later this century? It sounds like the SmartTrack corridor (aka brand new Eglinton GO RER corridor) would need a median cut-and-cover / trench. How wide is it exactly -- if wide enough for two side-by-side GO RER trains, it could be a sunken trench in the median that goes underneath intersections. However, I think that would be a bit ugly; I think cut-and-cover would look a lot nicer, and still a lot cheaper than a TBM. Alas, I think creating a new GO Eglinton corridor is a bit too costly this early half of the century, and ECLRT really needs to be extended. But it's nice to imagine how GO might be able to invent a new GO corridor that's cheaper than a TTC subway corridor (Even if it is under Tory's "SmartTrack" guise). London, Paris, and even smaller cities (e.g. Sydney, Australia) successfully creates new commuter train corridors, so it is an interesting thought exercise how a brand new GO Eglinton corridor is eventually built in the next fifty years, especially if it's not too much more costly than fighting with the Milton situation. The first extension would be a trench (for wide medians) and cut-n-cover (for narrow medians) down Eglinton, that is eventually extended byond Airport Corporate Center, and then interchanges with Hurontario LRT. It might even, in theory, reconnect to the Milton line by going further or even tunneling (TBM) towards an existing/new Milton station.

Situations that could happen involving the median or road:
- Trenching in the median, open air between intersections, goes under intersections.
- Cut-and-cover under the median

Situations that could happen involving the side of road:
- Eliminating the wide median and moving the Eglinton lanes closer together, merging the reserved/catchment areas (surrounding sidewalk) to create enough room for a trench or cut-and-cover. Undeveloped parts of the ROW can be used as room for stations

Trainset selection will have a major impact on the cost of the Eglinton spur
- Single-level EMUs (capacity issue on routes optimized for bilevels, albiet increasingly less relevant today)
- Bi-level EMUs (bigger trench/tunnel)
- Turning radius of the EMUs (affects the Eglinton curve cost)

If they go with cheaper corridor approaches, then the Eglinton curve will be the extremely costly part, might even consume almost half of the Eglinton spur budget, and probably need to be done completely underground, possibly curving towards the east first to get enough curve radius to go diagonal under a theoretical Eglinton station before continuing to curve past north of Eglinton and then curving back to Eglinton. Unless, we choose tight-turning EMU trainsets capable of curves as tight as the bottom of the "U".

I believe variables such as these, can affect the SmartTrack budget upwards or downwards by a full billion or two dollars. I look forward to seeing the study that considers these variables. If we run subway-style EMU single-levels with a good tight turning radius, it can reduce the cost of the corridor significantly, and if it easily trenches down the median of many parts of Eglinton. With capability to expand to 2-minute headways in the far future (e.g. underground Union corridor & dedicating rail in the Georgetown/Unionville corridor for physical separation from classic GOtrain tracks), Mississauga then essentially end up getting a subway, but via Metrolinx rather than TTC, and for far cheaper than the Scarborough subway. One that is extendable in increments, all the way to Hurontario (or Square One), and eventually reconnecting to Milton GO line in western Mississauga. We might not even be able to solve the Milton GO line issues as easily as simply extending the GO Eglinton corridor ("SmartTrack"). On the other hand, with more expensive variables, we end up getting a Scarborough Subway "cost-add" that should be chopped in favour of ECLRT.

Math calculations show that it is feasible and possible to move far more people using 150-meter single-level EMUs than with today's 300-meter 12-car bilevels, and also be much more operationally efficient including less dead weight during offpeak, the incredibly fast EMU acceleration making ultratight headways possible (i.e. easily slot several RER trains between UPX trains). With such EMU performance, and some USRC optimization (resignalling, tweaks, etc), and proper UPX EMU selection, then in theory the combined Bramalea/Eglinton GO RER could run 7.5 minute frequencies south of Eglinton, and every other train going down Eglinton (15 min Eglinton service and 15 min Bramalea service), so that Bramalea-versus-Eglinton problem is solvable. With some variables, it is more per km than ECLRT, but potentially far less per km than Scarborough subway, and creates a brand new grade-separated rail transit corridor for humankind to enjoy in perpetuity. And with the megaprojects slowly making it more and more feasible to decouple from stringent heavy rail requirements (SmartTrack was actually once considered a 'light' rail in its original proposal, and might actually be 'European commuter rail standard' rather than either 'light rail' or 'heavy rail'), the math calculations for Eglinton spur run very differently.

I still think the Eglinton spur should be chopped in favour of ECLRT, but the recent talk (EMUs, non-FRA European trains, single-level vs bi-level, Metrolinx corridor ownership) plays directly into the SmartTrack calculus. If the spur happens anyway, and we're up in arms about shovels about to hit the ground, then what form do we most cost-efficiently see the early beginnings of the brand new Eglinton GO RER Corridor get built?

By law, the urbantoronto constitution probably says we're required to ponder and debate this thought until it's long ago a beaten-up horse skeleton, and trains are already running to Airport Corporate Centre.

Last edited:
Great write-up even if it was a lot to read at once.

The legacy of Scarborough is that now super-costly transit options are being considered that otherwise never would have. I think Eglinton GO-RER counts as one.

I believe the Mississauga portion of the corridor is relatively easy to solve. There is a greenspace corridor alongside the 403 and Eastgate Pkwy that can be used after the Airport Corporate Centre. The big questions would be whether it reaches Hurontario at Eglinton or at Square One (or both?) and whether it should continue past Hurontario and interline with the Milton Line.

So the eventual extension to Mississauga is probably a political and transit no-brainer (if we looked at this line in a bubble and not considering other system-wide expansion needs like the DRL) provided that the initial Eglinton spur of SmartTrack is constructed. The Eglinton spur in Etobicoke is a much more questionable venture.

Just as an idea, if SmartTrack takes over UPX, how feasible would it be to expand it past Pearson Airport? If it can somehow squeeze through along Renforth Dr and under the 401 to Eglinton, we can reach the Airport Corporate Centre and continue along the corridor to Hurontario. This should be much cheaper I would think than the Eglinton spur of SmartTrack. GO-RER will also be a much more convenient service for ACC and YYZ commuters than the in-median Crosstown line.

Yes, this is sounding quite fishy.

We have Tory's former campaign team lobbying for Uber, SmartTrack and for First Gulf. First Gulf is interested in both SmartTrack (Tory's map showed a stop serving it) and the Gardiner East plans as it owns the Unilever site. Eric Miller, a transport adviser that co-authored the "studies" of a rail line that became SmartTrack, wrote that newly-released report claiming a 10 minute delay if the removal option for the Gardiner is chosen.

There's a whiff of something, and it ain't Sunlight soap.

I vastly prefer this kind of conspiracy to the usual system of random politicians wildly spending my money to troll for votes in Scarborough.

Just as an idea, if SmartTrack takes over UPX, how feasible would it be to expand it past Pearson Airport?
Doubtful. It seems that if projected usage pans out, then UPX is going to be profitable enough for Metrolinx to pay off its own capital costs (calculated from a mere ~40% average seat utlization, trains average less than half full), it is likely going to be very, very, very firmly entrenched for a while yet, even if we wish it otherwise. Running in a timeline that goes far past a deployment of SmartTrack. I discussed this in an earlier post. Further research found that the operating cost includes amortization that apparently pays off UPX' capital costs in a relatively quick time period, then afterwards becomes an incredibly profitable service ($50-$100m/year) when the capital is paid off -- it also quickly amortizes the diesels that gets quickly replaced by EMUs -- as a save-face from the waste of temporarily using diesels.

Even city politics would have difficulty terminating the Ontario-owned UPX service on Ontario-owned trackage running through Ontario-owned stations, when a future mayor tries to attempt to force a merger of UPX and SmartTrack, since it would dramatically cut into Metrolinx's golden goose of UPX revenues. If it falls heavily short (e.g. 80% empty) there may be traction there to merge UPX with SmartTrack, but this is not very likely given a capitive audience with less appealing alternatives than even other city expensive airport expresses (even London Heathrow, of the still-hugely-profitable ~$50 airport train, has an attractive subway alternative, rather than the 192 Airport Rocket with a cold/rainy outdoor stop). Even the 3-car UPX trains will overflow during peak surges (e.g. 747s, A380s) even at the premium price, and reducing the cost to TTC fare will make things worse during surge moments for airport commuters looking for a quick way to downtown, unless the train (longer), stations (longer berths), and service frequency (subway 2-3min) are massively expanded in a multi-hundred-million-dollar retrofit, minimum -- and it will still cost Metrolinx more operationally (e.g. non-full farebox recovery, killing the UPX golden goose). Not very appealing to Ontario, whether we like it or not...

The UPX service and stations are currently too specially designed for UPX service at the moment and it would require quite a significant redo of several hundred million to refit it for rapid transit service (longer stations), using longer trains and more frequent service, and it might not be the most efficient use of Platform 3 vs UPX platform (unless shutting down the Union UPX terminal), as the Platform 3 and UPX has double-berthing capability on the same track (e.g. a VIA train and a UPX train), so UPX train can't run through 'SmartTrack' service unless Union is rejigged a little (relocating VIA trains, using a different platform, etc)

I don't think SmartTrack would be (in Ontario eyes) the natural descendant of UPX, but the high speed train that is being mentioned as having the Pearson stop. This is why I mentioned one alternate descedant of UPX that can still be profitable (if that is Ontario's perogative), is a future high speed train London-Kitchener-Pearson-Toronto as a superset intercity replacement for UPX. It would run only to a future Woodbine Racetrack stop right at the UPX spur, with the Airport LINK terminal-switching train being upgraded & extended over the old UPX spur to Woodbine Racetrack to service both terminals directly from the HSR station without needing a HSR spur. By 20-30 years when HSR is running, UPXs' lifetime would have been reaching near its replacement anyway, and the spur can be given over to the LINK inter-airport-concourse train, as a pickup extension to the HSR station at Woodbine Racetrack.
__

Back on SmartTrack topic, regardless of whether the Eg spur chops or not -- if approved with at least a similiar amount as many infills stations, I think SmartTrack becomes a low-fare allstop equivalent of a surface subway, utilizing EMUs. It could potentially share the same future EMU trainset (albiet seated/equipped/styled differently), though it could differentiate. However, it does appear SmartTrack could easily stop at a station closer to the airport such as Weston (or Eglinton) allowing a lower-fare transfer to UPX, if you wanted to save money. Or in the future, Woodbine Racetrack station, if it eventually becomes possible to transfer to anything on the spur (whether it be UPX or a future upgraded LINK train).

Last edited:
Jen Keesmaat posted a tweeted a couple of maps today. Is this the first time we've seen Smart Track shown as possibly going via the Weston Sub all the way to Woodbine Racetrack?

CGF9ChOVIAAiO7a.jpg

Attachments

• CGF9ChOVIAAiO7a.jpg
    CGF9ChOVIAAiO7a.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 996
Also the only map I've seen that adds in another station between Union and Dundas West.

The original map had 2, the one above has 3.

Good to see sensible considerations. Route SmartTrack to Bramalea or Woodbine, could save enough funds to extend ECLRT westwards. Hope Tory listens to these studies and provides an escape hatch for him (quid pro quo)

Part of the new vertical dotted line appears to overlaps the UPX spur route. This is news to me; the idea of using a portion of the UPX viaduct as part of a south-wards SmartTrack route to Airport Corporate Centre. (SmartTrack-specific viaduct spur off the original UPX viaduct). Is the capacity of the UPX spur sufficient to share both SmartTrack trains and UPX trains? I would think that leaving this out is better, and using the funds on an ECLRT will be more efficient. That way, the SmartTrack train can be the GO RER Bramalea train (same train), and be done with it -- more efficient use of the rail corridor.

Last edited:
I just don't get it. If they really want rapid transit on Eglinton West why would they not just extend the crosstown? SmartTrack would cost us even more because of the extended curve off the Weston sub. GO RER service on the Weston sub is already planned for and will serve as the rapid transit connection to downtown from that part of the city. I'm sure this has been talked about lots before, but its going to keep on getting talked out as long is it stays this way. I like Tory, but I don't get why he keeps on pushing smart track as something different than RER, well I guess I do know why - its to save political face. But I don't know why that so important at this point in time he's not going anywhere anytime soon. Based on that station spacing, it's not a true(above ground) subway line anyways.

Jen Keesmaat posted a tweeted a couple of maps today. Is this the first time we've seen Smart Track shown as possibly going via the Weston Sub all the way to Woodbine Racetrack?

View attachment 47146

She's tweeting maps? Until now I've never had any urge to join twitter.

If the intention of SmartTrack is to reach the Airport Corporate Centre and in the future Square 1/Mississauga, then using the UPX routing is much better than Eglinton West.

Good to see sensible considerations. Route SmartTrack to Bramalea or Woodbine, could save enough funds to extend ECLRT westwards. Hope Tory listens to these studies and provides an escape hatch for him (quid pro quo)

Part of the new vertical dotted line appears to overlaps the UPX spur route. This is news to me; the idea of using a portion of the UPX viaduct as part of a south-wards SmartTrack route to Airport Corporate Centre. (SmartTrack-specific viaduct spur off the original UPX viaduct). Is the capacity of the UPX spur sufficient to share both SmartTrack trains and UPX trains? I would think that leaving this out is better, and using the funds on an ECLRT will be more efficient. That way, the SmartTrack train can be the GO RER Bramalea train (same train), and be done with it -- more efficient use of the rail corridor.

That doesn't look like the Aiport spur, the aiport spur is further northwest, as it goes to pearson.

That line doesnt go to Pearson but the Aiport Corporate Centre, which is not Pearson.

That looks like it goes down highway 427!

That doesn't look like the Aiport spur, the aiport spur is further northwest, as it goes to pearson.

That line doesnt go to Pearson but the Aiport Corporate Centre, which is not Pearson.

That looks like it goes down highway 427!

Yes you are absolutely right, it does appear to go down the 427! It is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how practical it is.

I wonder if by sticking to the Weston Sub for SmartTrack, the ECLRT western extension could be built, along with a SmartTrack highway 427 stub for the same price. It would create a real important transit hub by having SmartTrack, ECLRT meeting with the Mississauga BRT Transitway at the airport corporate centre. Still missing an airport link that isn't UPX though. I'm no expert however, and would love to hear other's opinions.

Yes you are absolutely right, it does appear to go down the 427! It is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how practical it is.

I wonder if by sticking to the Weston Sub for SmartTrack, the ECLRT western extension could be built, along with a SmartTrack highway 427 stub for the same price. It would create a real important transit hub by having SmartTrack, ECLRT meeting with the Mississauga BRT Transitway at the airport corporate centre. Still missing an airport link that isn't UPX though. I'm no expert however, and would love to hear other's opinions.

That definitely is indeed an interesting option. The UPX Spur was built for about $50 million/km. Given that it isn't showing any stations along that section, presumably that would be the about the same cost per km. It would be interesting to see what the cost difference and what the projected time difference would be between using Eglinton vs using the Kitchener/427 alignment.

Back