380     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 234     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 231     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think someone else pointed out that this wouldn't happen within 2 years of the election, instead the council would vote to put someone in that position as an interim councilor. Mutey would have to sit tight for at least a couple of years.

Which adds up to......14 years (taking into account his landslide victories in 2018 & 2022).

*sarcasm*

I think someone else pointed out that this wouldn't happen within 2 years of the election, instead the council would vote to put someone in that position as an interim councilor. Mutey would have to sit tight for at least a couple of years.

You've got it backwards - but it any event it's non-binding. The City of Toronto Act empowers council to either appoint or hold an election at any time, while the Municipal Elections Act only requires appointment after 31 March of an election year (and allows <90 days before election to remain vacant). However, City Council has set a standing policy that they will hold an election in roughly the first half of the term and appoint in the second:
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2000/agendas/council/cc/cc000201/cofa.htm

"(1) any vacancy in the office of the Mayor or a Councillor declared by Council prior to November 30 in the year prior to an election year be filled through the conduct of a by-election;
(2) any vacancy in the office of the Mayor or a Councillor declared by Council after November 30 in the year prior to an election year be filled through an appointment;";

However, in April 2014 the City Clerk suggested that there was no value in setting a non-binding policy and recommended that each vacancy be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Not sure if anything came of that.

Act language below:

Filling vacancies

208. (1) If a vacancy occurs in the office of a member of city council, the City shall, subject to this section,

(a) fill the vacancy by appointing a person who has consented to accept the office if appointed; or

(b) require a by-election to be held to fill the vacancy in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996. 2006, c. 11, Sched. A, s. 208 (1).

Court-ordered election

(2) If an order is made in any judicial proceeding requiring a by-election be held to fill a vacancy on city council, the clerk shall hold the by-election in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996. 2006, c. 11, Sched. A, s. 208 (2).

Bürgermeister von Toronto muss mit Tumor ins Krankenhaus

I don't speak German but knowing Ford I would have translated this as "Mayor of Toronto found to be tumor in Meth House".

Forgot to add when all the talk was about Tyson, I sure wished Rob had asked him to punch him.

Me too. :(

and people often find 'excuses'. don't forget that Ford's been hitting the Tim's and McD's drive-thrus regularly of late. You get a pain in your stomach and figure "oops I overdid it with the super-size fries" or maybe 5 espressos at once aren't a great idea after all. when you (over)eat on the go and hurriedly gulp stuff down, you can get digestive/gas pains. It his pain wasn't constant and went away only to return days later, he might have attributed it to his poor eating habits.

If
a) your dad died of colon cancer,
b) you had a tumour removed from your appendix a couple of years ago,
c) you also had a section of your colon removed at that time,
d) you suddenly start to get frequent abdominal pain

why the fuck would you leave it 3 months before you went to see a doctor?

I would hope not, considering ones obvious concerns over ethics, morality and charity towards those with serious illnesses.

AoD

I sure did! He was the best candidate at the time. But he clearly isn't now. That doesn't mean I wish illness on him.

Alvin, keep your thoughts towards me to yourself and I will do the same. I'm getting really tired of your self righteous little soap box jabs. They are boring.

This is from the IHTWOMRF, apparently CP24 is now elitist:

James Schnerch
"You know how to know CP24 is a classes elitist rag? Look no further than what Nathan Downer said to Iron Mike. Tysons was there to promote his show and they called him a convicted rapist. All because he supports Rob Ford. Disgusting."

Tsk, tsk, tsk... you really must have some deep seated emotional issues.

The true tragic thing is in situations like this are the opportunists, just ask Joey Worms.

You made a valid try but have fallen on your ass again; maybe next time.

More personal shots.

I sure did! He was the best candidate at the time. But he clearly isn't now. That doesn't mean I wish illness on him.

Alvin, keep your thoughts towards me to yourself and I will do the same. I'm getting really tired of your self righteous little soap box jabs. They are boring.
Best candidate at the time? Guess you weren't paying attention to municipal politics in 2010. What made you change your mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back