283     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 180     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 629     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Muzik might suck, but this is *not at all* unusual. Police officers have training that makes them very valuable when moonlighting as club security. It's actually sort-of a no-brainer to hire them.

Could just be Muzik's size, but I have never seen as many off-duties at a club before. I've worked at and been to a few.

Could be nothing, though. Just struck me, along with some other things that I probably shouldn't be posting on a public board as trafficked as this one.

how is that great? it should have no parking lot whatsoever. How is the 905 getting home -- designated driver??? YEAH RIGHT!!

Maybe when going to a pub to watch sports and chat with friends a person might eat, drink pop, chat and still have a good time. But no one goes to nightclubs and stays dry.

Not "great" as in "great for society". I'd bet a boatload of DUIs every Saturday get their start at Muzik. But in terms of a business model, it's extremely profitable.

I didn't mean to imply that I condoned it.

Could just be Muzik's size, but I have never seen as many off-duties at a club before. I've worked at and been to a few.

Guv has a lot. Or at least, had a lot, back when I frequented Guv. Met a few here and there at others, too. But they don't always exclusively work the same club, work for a company that pimps them out to whatever's available.

But no one goes to nightclubs and stays dry.

Some people do ... At the more 'speciality' EDM events, lots of people do... but yeah in general it's rare.

given perks' dust-up on twitter with joshua ostroff and benjamin boles, it's a little odd to see him take the tack of trying to protect a city-owned dance space; although i guess it takes it out of a residential area so maybe it isn't so odd...

given perks' dust-up on twitter with joshua ostroff and benjamin boles, it's a little odd to see him take the tack of trying to protect a city-owned dance space; although i guess it takes it out of a residential area so maybe it isn't so odd...

It is also $1 million in lost revenue for the city.

Crazy Mammo is trying to get EDM events banned from Ex Place.
Someone posted: "because they would be in competition with Muzik, and they are a big contributer to the Fords."
And now:
Gord Perks ‏@gordperks 2m
Aaaand the owner of Muzik makes the claim that EDM events draw drug dealers and pedophiles.

Are these guys all pedophiles? What's with all the references? It is crazy!

It's just a kind of buzzword to use when you are against something. Toss out that word and it'll immediately catch the attention of certain parental types who will circle their strollers and prepare for attack. It gives rise to panic/hysteria and doesn't have to actually make sense.

Example: You are against food trucks.
"Food trucks could be run by pedophiles who will use their deep-fried treats to lure kids into the truck!"

You are against public transit:
"The subways and streetcars are teeming with pedophiles!"

You are for public transit and against cars:
"Pedophiles drive around looking for kids to grab. They lurk in dark parking lots!"

You are in favour of the Island Airport:
"Pearson is full of pedophiles!" (okay, that one's maybe a stretch) ;)

See? It always works! :p

I told myself I wouldn't. But the filth of the service industry is one of my only areas of expertise. I couldn't resist.

One further bit: it might be instructive to go down on a Saturday and observe how many off-duty police staff Muzik for their club nights.

I'm not alleging any sort of influence-peddling. But it's one of those things that, were I an investigative-reporter type (who didn't have a problem with getting his nose smashed), I might look into.

It certainly can't hurt to have police on your payroll, especially if elements of your business might involve some, ahem, legal concerns?

Did 14 div take over from 52 div in the police corruptolympics?

Hey remember when Ford went to Austin because we need big music events here in Toronto? I guess Toronto only allows certain types of music, cuz after all, dancing is evil.

Off topic but: some of you guys edit your posts and say "ETA" instead of "edited" or "edit" or whatever. Now, ETA to me means estimated time of arrival, and I've been on discussion boards since the mid-late 90s where USENET was king, and really I've never seen ETA used anywhere but here. What the heck does it mean?

I'm hoping someone can clarify - is the building Muzik is in not controlled by the CNE Board, while the convention/conference spaces (DEC/Allstream) to the east are? Both are on what we'd think of as the Exhibition grounds.

Off topic but: some of you guys edit your posts and say "ETA" instead of "edited" or "edit" or whatever. Now, ETA to me means estimated time of arrival, and I've been on discussion boards since the mid-late 90s where USENET was king, and really I've never seen ETA used anywhere but here. What the heck does it mean?

Edited To Add.

Electronic dance music

ETA sorry see it's already been answered

I realize it has certain associations but it seems weird to me to single out one genre with regard to this or any other venue. What about non-electronic music that also attracts ... whaddya got? Drugs, underage drinking ...

What about electronic music not intended for dancing or where no provision is made for dancing (think 'challenging' electronic music with 'non-repetitive beats' of the 'two bald guys with laptops' variety)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back