News   Jul 08, 2024
 645     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goldsbie provided some additional context to Muzik:

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=194546

2) Liquor service

The beverage service at the 2013 Ford Fests was provided by Muzik nightclub. The bars last Friday bore the logo of Muzik Beach, and a liquor sales licence issued to Muzik Clubs Inc. on July 3, 2013 (two days before the Scarborough event), was conspicuously displayed.

Muzik is located in the Horticulture Building at city-owned Exhibition Place and has been there since 2004. It currently enjoys a 20-year lease, which it has recently sought to extend by another decade, through 2034 [pdf]. Last December, the Exhibition Place board of governors chaired by Ford ally Mark Grimes approved a sole-source lease extension.

Five months later, however, Ex Place staff returned to the board to let them know there’d been a hitch: per city bylaws, a lease of 21 years or longer is considered a sale, which would require – among other things – approval from council [pdf].

When reports from the Exhibition Place board are forwarded to council, they are placed on the agenda of the mayor’s Executive Committee.

There are currently two consultant lobbyists with active registrations to lobby the city (and/or its boards) on behalf of Muzik. There is also a policy concerning council-member-organized community events that says members of council “shall neither solicit nor accept support in any form” from registered lobbyists or their clients. In this context, “support” means a donation of goods or services for the purpose of holding a community event.

Questions to Muzik concerning its relationship with the Fords and whether it charged them full market value for Muzik’s services were referred to the business’s PR firm, which explained that the club’s owner was out of town and unavailable to comment. The mayor's office did not respond to requests.

Councillor Mike Layton, whose ward encompasses Exhibition Place and who’s sat on its board since January, tells me that Muzik’s lease extension has been “stalled” since he convinced the board to roll that discussion into the ongoing process of crafting a broader strategic vision for the grounds.

But he’s intrigued when I tell him about Muzik’s involvement with Ford Fest.

“I think [the relationship is] a valid concern and that’s something that we need to ask questions about,” he says.

AoD

fixed link

Thank you.

Rob Ford said that instead of spending money on suicide prevention they should spend it on catching pedophiles since that's what makes most people kill themselves anyway.

Seriously.

He thinks he is serious. I'm really wondering what the connection to pedophilia Robbie has, I'm hoping it's not personal.

Also according to Robbie:
“I don't understand. Number one, I don't understand a transgender, I don't understand. Is it a guy dressed up like a girl or a girl dressed up like a guy?â€

“Those Oriental people work like dogs. They work their hearts out. They are workers non-stop. They sleep beside their machines. That's why they're successful in life.â€

“I can't support bike lanes. Roads are built for buses, cars, and trucks. My heart bleeds when someone gets killed, but its their own fault at the end of the day.â€

“Don’t you fucking know I’m Rob fucking Ford, the mayor of this city.â€

“I’ll try, buddy, I’ll try. I don’t know this shit, but I’ll fucking try to find it. Why don’t you go on the street and score it? Fuck, you know, I don’t know any drug dealers at all.â€

I think it's a competition with Dougie

Could this brief moment be the closest the Ford brothers will ever come to feeling shame?

Hmmm...

Ehh. They're talking about all-ages events, which do attract their fair share of creepers who might be less than angelic with an underage person on drugs.

I love festivals and raves (and drugs!) but all-ages events are pretty creepy, and their "think of the children" rhetoric isn't entirely out-of-line. I think I went to *one* of those when I was young before I realized, "Yup, gotta get my dumb ass a fake ID."

Those are always good points. I find it interesting that the issue was due to a sole letter from Musik, and then latter Mamo continuing the argument by bringing up an argument with Chow from 11 years ago. I don't know, it smells a little like sole sourcing, campaigning, and cronyism to me.

I bought that game during a Steam sale, but never got around to playing it. Once I get the hang of the vanilla game, I'm definitely going to get the Ford mod :D

You need Brave New World expansion to use it, which you could have gotten during a recent Humble Bundle... Was a fantastic value, $15 for pretty much all of the DLC/expansions. I don't even play Civ very much but I jumped right on that. Gifted the copy of the main game to a friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why the Ford's are not all over this since their gal pal SAL originally posted a piece:

For all intensive porpoises, the Fords are acting like non-incumbents who happen to use a big room in City Hall as their campaign office.

I wonder why the Ford's are not all over this since their gal pal SAL originally posted a piece
We really can't expect them to keep track of things - apart from probable memory loss due to drink and drugs there is the constant need to ensure pot-holes are properly filled and subways are built. Connecting dots is not easy as our Large and "I'm not perfect" Mayor(s) say.

"Originally Posted by faceattack
Could just be Muzik's size, but I have never seen as many off-duties at a club before. I've worked at and been to a few."

Guv has a lot. Or at least, had a lot, back when I frequented Guv. Met a few here and there at others, too. But they don't always exclusively work the same club, work for a company that pimps them out to whatever's available.

If you mean Paid-Duty TPS?
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/paidduty/rates.php

As eurler mentioned, it was a mix. A few in uniform, many more not.

I don't know which precinct or service they were from. It's been a while. I just remember lots.

I also remember they were treated and paid differently from "regular" security.

As eurler mentioned, it was a mix. A few in uniform, many more not.

I don't know which precinct or service they were from. It's been a while. I just remember lots.

I also remember they were treated and paid differently from "regular" security.

Did you ever see RoFo at Muzik?
What about Jerry?
What kind of drug activity takes place there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back