570     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 713     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if there's a connection, but Pantalone lobbies for Muzik now.

Also, the family behind Liberty (of the Liberty Grand, Courthouse, Rosewater, Casa Loma) had some pretty swanky private receptions for David Miller when he was mayor.

I bartended at Muzik for a brief period. To see Zlatko caution about the perils of drug dealers is a bit of a laugh.

I suppose it's territory he knows well...

I think we shouldn't be so shocked when it looks like large nightclub owners might be, ahem, trying to "exert" some influence in the political process.

hi face. finally succumbed to temptation and started posting here, eh?

And I hear Ford and his crew drink on the house when they party there, and they go through a small fortune worth of booze.

Does Jerry work there?

Saw this on Twitter, "Jerry was at Muzik on *Friday* night, while RoFo was at the Jays game."

Is that a white ear cord going up the left-side of his neck?
http://instagram.com/p/mZOJJqP46D/#

Further thoughts on EDM parties:

A friend of mine worked the last big Avicii party at the Ex, and this whole "think of the children" thing isn't coming from nowhere. By his account, there were some seriously messed-up 15-year-old-girls who were far, far from home. Cabbies didn't want to take them because of liability. Bit of a gongshow from that perspective.

And I agreed upthread that all ages events can be creepy, but there are compromises to be made here.

While I did agree that they're basically shitshows, the fact is, there are trained staff around and as long as the event complies with bylaws, it's realistically far safer than what happens when those parties AREN'T in town - those same 15 year old girls getting just as fucked up, except at house parties where there is no one there to protect them.

Would I go to one? Especially as an adult? Hell no.

Are they a valid and legal and *safer* outlet for those particular desires than most? Yeah.

I used to party a lot, buddy was a bouncer, rescued people young and old from bad situations more than one occasion. Price them out of these parties, force them to go to house parties with old strangers, it's actually far less safe.

Ask me about the time I nearly got in a fight when some fucking weirdo at a house party asked my friend if she'd like to suck his and his friend's cock for cash. Lucky I was there, but if I wasn't, at least at a club *someone* would have been.

If dudes from the GTA periphery start thinking the action is at the Tiesto show at the Direct Energy Centre instead of Muzik, that is going to directly eat into his bottom line. Hence the lobbying and blatant corruption on the part of Mammo and the rest of the EX board..
Fixed it for ya. :)

It is surprising to me that Perks would be the one commenting in favour of the dance parties, no matter how much the Muzik faction might be driven by backroom factors. Perks' area is nearby, and it's unlikely that his homeowning, politically active constituents would be that welcoming of anything described as raves in their neighbourhood.

hi face. finally succumbed to temptation and started posting here, eh?

I told myself I wouldn't. But the filth of the service industry is one of my only areas of expertise. I couldn't resist.

One further bit: it might be instructive to go down on a Saturday and observe how many off-duty police staff Muzik for their club nights.

I'm not alleging any sort of influence-peddling. But it's one of those things that, were I an investigative-reporter type (who didn't have a problem with getting his nose smashed), I might look into.

It certainly can't hurt to have police on your payroll, especially if elements of your business might involve some, ahem, legal concerns?

RoDofo and Mammo should be the first ones sucked up.

[video=youtube;ojKxPqKeAWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojKxPqKeAWY[/video]

It is surprising to me that Perks would be the one commenting in favour of the dance parties, no matter how much the Muzik faction might be driven by backroom factors. Perks' area is nearby, and it's unlikely that his homeowning, politically active constituents would be that welcoming of anything described as raves in their neighbourhood.

He called the debate on the parties 'vile', so I think his issue is more the political lobbying and corruption.

And I agreed upthread that all ages events can be creepy, but there are compromises to be made here.

While I did agree that they're basically shitshows, the fact is, there are trained staff around and as long as the event complies with bylaws, it's realistically far safer than what happens when those parties AREN'T in town - those same 15 year old girls getting just as fucked up, except at house parties where there is no one there to protect them.

Would I go to one? Especially as an adult? Hell no.

Are they a valid and legal and *safer* outlet for those particular desires than most? Yeah.

I used to party a lot, buddy was a bouncer, rescued people young and old from bad situations more than one occasion. Price them out of these parties, force them to go to house parties with old strangers, it's actually far less safe.

Ask me about the time I nearly got in a fight when some fucking weirdo at a house party asked my friend if she'd like to suck his and his friend's cock for cash. Lucky I was there, but if I wasn't, at least at a club *someone* would have been.

I don't want to minimize the validity of harm-reduction strategies, or comment on the wisdom of all-ages parties. Just observing that concern for kids isn't spun from whole cloth.

It's always better, if people are going to party, to have health professionals nearby. A LiveNation rave is probably going to be safer than the Comfort Zone...I think.

What's great about Muzik is it's right on the Gardiner and right near the 400. It has huge amounts of parking. It's also a massive space. It is _the_ destination for the 905 to come downtown and get trashed/have the "club experience". Which for most guys means chasing girls and trying to impress them by spending hundreds of dollars on bottle service.

how is that great? it should have no parking lot whatsoever. How is the 905 getting home -- designated driver??? YEAH RIGHT!!

Maybe when going to a pub to watch sports and chat with friends a person might eat, drink pop, chat and still have a good time. But no one goes to nightclubs and stays dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back