60     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Local recurrence sounds most plausible to me. He did have a second tumor in his butt, and the bladder doesn't seem that far from the original tumor site, no? Everything seems to be happening in roughly the same area, and in ways that correspond roughly to my understanding of what I've read. If that's the case, I wonder what treatment options are available. Chemo is probably on the table as way of getting to whatever cells may be floating around. But how much chemo — and how strong a course — a person can stand up to in relatively rapid succession?

Re survival stats: Yes. The media (and Rob) is taking a pretty generic view of things. My recollection is that the 50/50 odds an average of survival rates of PLS occurences in various parts of the body. And even then, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of data kicking around to firm up the numbers. Not surprising though, given that PLS is rare.

BTW, did anyone ever say Rob's tumor was retroperitoneal? Even the statements from the doctors seemed vague on that point.

Thanks! A guy I know had something similar. He was already fighting terminal cancer of his stomach lining when he developed a cancerous tumour on his hand, completely separate from his initial cancer. Poor guy lost half his fingers and then just recently died from the stomach cancer. Only 38!

I have known people whose treatment for one cancer leads to the ability of other cancers to develop. Think Jack Layton...

CTV Toronto ‏@CTVToronto 7m7 minutes ago
Doug Ford says doctors will see what "cocktail" of chemo will work best for Rob's new tumour
CTV Toronto ‏@CTVToronto 6m6 minutes ago
"I haven't seen him in this much pain," Doug Ford says of brother Rob.
CTV Toronto ‏@CTVToronto 8m8 minutes ago
Doug Ford says he and Rob will know more after meeting with the doctor. Don't know whether tumour is malignant

This isn't looking promising.

It is Doug though...

Last edited:
True. Rob is going in now to meet with doctors. Maybe they will know if it is malignant.

All I can say is that for any talk of a vacant council seat, people knew all of this in advance.

why would they be discussing chemo when they don't even know if it's malignant or benign yet?

Might be because the docs have a good sense of what they're looking at, based on experience, but can't say for sure until they have the test results. You know: "Well, it's likely this, but it could be this or that."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back