46     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 454     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question - is there video of the debate tonight? I went to see Arcade Fire tonight and was reading all your debate messages while waiting for them to come on (thanks for those!) silently pumping my fist, going "YES, FINALLY!! I need to see this!"

I had company, and also missed it. I doubt it's online anywhere unfortunately.

I spent half the night looking for it on line. Some highlights are on ctv.ca. cp24 has more but I'm locked out. Thanks eagle eye ! I finally got the multi- quote to work for me. If anyone finds it posted in full please post a notice here. It sounded inspired and inspiring.

I don't think the debate was that inspiring for those of us who want to see someone call the Mayor on his New Clothes. Any accusation was still hedged or indirect, it's all still gentlemen's rules except to the bully at the top. Soknacki still impresses me, Tory is just another guy accustomed to sitting on boards and Chow tries to bring passion but it doesn't translate for me. It's all about expanding programs to assist the underclass for her. Important, I guess, but I don't know if the broad middle class is looking for a head social worker for mayor. There were a couple minor candidates who probably made as many good points as anyone else, but it was their one moment in the sun and they could be a bit of a distraction.

Mayor on his new clothes.

Ive often thought the emperor wasn't naked just sitting around in a sweaty threadbare toga wondering what happened to the party.

How can we get some hardball questions into the rest of the debates? There are some juicy ones coming up. I can't parse all the acronyms of all the hosting bodies but we must be able to get some plants into these events. Ideas?

And, oh yeah, this debate, like some others, fell maybe five times into an organizational confusion that made this television spectator cringe a little. I suspect that, as hinted above, while other candidates and their organizations made professional effort to know beforehand the groundrules for the debate, Mayor Ford was just winging it and needed to get up to speed - and felt a need to negotiate - on the rules as he he went. It's one of his superpowers, to bring everyone else down to his level and make them all look like fools. He goes around exposing the rot everywhere - like with the police force or the media - but does it in a totally opposite way than he imagines he's doing it.

Last edited:
This is more addendum than reply. Here's a few upcoming debates.
Sept 3, Film Ontario. Ask about trip to L.A re.boosting T.O. Film biz. Any outcomes for the merryl to report?
Sept 9, Congress of Italian Canadians. Ask how people of italian descent like to be referred to as dagos?
Sept 19 Wiesenthal Centre. Can we get that brave ex-Deco exec to just sit at the front?

You get the drift. I would love to see the LGBT debate. Find an ex football player of Fords who is out?
Lets stop acting so effing Canadian!

typezed;914757II suspect that other candidates and their organizations made professional effort to know beforehand the groundrules for the debate said:
The mediators need microphone veto power as in: pull the plug if he can't follow the format.

giggle :)

Its a non secret to those in recovery. Teachers drink. An inordinate amount of women in A.A. are teachers. I asked friends in the program why so many teachers? As informal as these queries were the answers made sense to me. Long holidays, short workdays, poorer job satisfaction than expected. Early pigeon holing into non admin roles. Shortage of jobs in major centres and in the case of secondary teachers: fear of violence . Also early retirement. Bottom line Thank your kids'teachers. Its a tough, thankless job.

View attachment 32166

It was a treat to see R Ford's stunned look to the reaction of the crowd to "Nobody has done more than R Ford for****...."
or the slow blow he was on when the rest of the panel called him out on most everything right down to the library strike

That too is a factor. Gladwell touches on it in Outliers. About musicians who don't quite cut it as symphonic wizards. That those who don't rise to the top know they are cut out to teach at best. However in small town Ontario a music teacher saved my shy awkward brothers life. Bob Gimpoli if you are out there thank you. My bro started high school afraid of everything , the confidence he gained through music had him graduating president of student body, in a rock band with a girlfriend. Great teachers make a huge contribution to a healthy society.

It was a treat to see R Ford's stunned look to the reaction of the crowd to "Nobody has done more than R Ford for****...."
or the slow blow he was on when the rest of the panel called him out on most everything right down to the library strike

I couldnt stream it but saw him jackrabbiting out of there on the news. My heart bled for him.

There were a couple minor candidates who probably made as many good points as anyone else, but it was their one moment in the sun and they could be a bit of a distraction.

I don't have the exact quote, but I believe one said something about although TPS employed a fair number of African-Canadians, TFS and T-EMS did not. Again, those were not the exact words, but they were to that effect.

I was expecting some debate about Employment Equity in Toronto's emergency services. I didn't hear the entire debate, so perhaps I missed it.

I couldnt stream it but saw him jackrabbiting out of there on the news. My heart bled for him.

Rob needs some lessons in dealing with hecklers! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTM252Zffq0

ETA He is painfully inarticulate. But, has a knack for using up time while actually saying very little.

Last edited:
Any news from last night? He got hammered at the debate, which is usually followed by getting hammered at the bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back