46     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 454     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've mentioned this before, but it was a while ago, and other people here keep circling back to their cultural touchstones that probably have far less to do with the topic.

Rob Ford's attitude toward black people makes me think of the first couple lines of Don DeLillo's 1972 novel End Zone:

Taft Robinson was the first black student to be enrolled at Logos College in west Texas. They got him for his speed.

Exactly. And that is why he got BOOO'd and heckled so hard. Others on the panel and crowd told him and called him out on that perspective right there. Yelling about Football and TCHbuildings are not enough when we're talking about needing more access, jobs, programs for families and youth, actual development that benefits communities etc etc etc...

Re today's debate--was it an "open" one? Because what seems to surprise me is the lack of reported confrontations from either end--pro or anti--indeed, where was the RoFo rent-a-cheering-squad? Was Iola there? Bullet-head Parkin? Any of those nutters or looking-for-trouble types? Sounds surprisingly placid...

No it wasn't "open"; thats why there was discussion/confusion about timing. Not all the questions were asked, and rebuttals were clear and to the point - Rob Ford voted against time and time again what could help, or he just wasn't there. Period.

Its a non secret to those in recovery. Teachers drink. An inordinate amount of women in A.A. are teachers. I asked friends in the program why so many teachers? As informal as these queries were the answers made sense to me. Long holidays, short workdays, poorer job satisfaction than expected. Early pigeon holing into non admin roles. Shortage of jobs in major centres and in the case of secondary teachers: fear of violence . Also early retirement. Bottom line Thank your kids'teachers. Its a tough, thankless job.

I don't think so. Classroom hours may be slightly shorter than office hours, but those lessons don't prepare themselves, and those papers/tests don't mark themselves.

as to the other stuff, I'm not sure why long holidays would make you want to drink. Every summer I ask myself why I didn't become a teacher so I could have July and August off.

I don't think so. Classroom hours may be slightly shorter than office hours, but those lessons don't prepare themselves. QUOTE]

Good points. To be clear this is anecdotal. Much of that work is done at home where one can work and drink unlike officcentric jobs. Please understand many of these former drinking lady teachers have helped keep me sober over the years. They have my love and gratitude.

I think I've mentioned this before, but it was a while ago, and other people here keep circling back to their cultural touchstones that probably have far less to do with the topic.

Rob Ford's attitude toward black people makes me think of the first couple lines of Don DeLillo's 1972 novel EndZone:

Wow DeLillo can put a time capsule inside the most innocuous little sentence. True mastery. And yes welcome notblackbarbie.

Random question. If you leave the country from, say, Pearson would there not be a record of that which police could access?

Sorry if I'm late to the party ... Still out of country with a 6 hour time difference lol.

I can tell you that any time you leave the country, whether at Pearson or at a land crossing your passport is scanned and a record of your exit recorded. For example, in about 2005, I presented at Pearson and boarded a flight which then deplaned. I decided to drive across the border to catch a flight instead. When I got to the Queenston Lewiston bridge I was question how and why when I supposedly boarded a flight hours ago at Pearson. Problem is interagency disconnect would be my guess. Border control has the information but it may not be readily available to other departments like immigration or police. No clue what the rules are about sharing personal information without warrants or under the guise of "national security"

Last edited:
Political Campaign Internship - Rob Ford's office (etobicoke)

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/ofc/4642655595.html

" You will also receive upon completion of the internship a letter of thanks and a reference source."
RobFordLetter_web_mobile_.jpg.jpg

;)

Not that it matters to Ford of course, but unpaid internships are now considered to be against employment law in Ontario as far as I understand it.

Unpaid internships in Ontario

There are a 6 conditions that must be met in order for an unpaid internship not to be in breach of Ontario’s Employment Standards Act:

The training is similar to that which is given in a vocational school.
The training is for the benefit of the intern. You receive some benefit from the training, such as new knowledge or skills.
The employer derives little, if any, benefit from the activity of the intern while he or she is being trained.
Your training doesn't take someone else's job.
Your employer isn't promising you a job at the end of your training.
You have been told that you will not be paid for your time.

— Source: Ontario Ministry of Labour

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/unpai...n-t-ease-young-jobseekers-suffering-1.2589695

Question - is there video of the debate tonight? I went to see Arcade Fire tonight and was reading all your debate messages while waiting for them to come on (thanks for those!) silently pumping my fist, going "YES, FINALLY!! I need to see this!"

Question - is there video of the debate tonight? I went to see Arcade Fire tonight and was reading all your debate messages while waiting for them to come on (thanks for those!) silently pumping my fist, going "YES, FINALLY!! I need to see this!"
I had company, and also missed it. I doubt it's online anywhere unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back