News   Jul 12, 2024
 518     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 275     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 3.19 per cent salary increase likely generated some good-will:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/05/06/what-the-new-contract-for-toronto-police/

"And if they're going to make a bit more money for doing it – I have never had a person come up and say, ‘Rob, I object to paying paramedics, firefighters or police more money.’ This is where the money should be spent, and I have no problem paying our officers, or our firefighters or our paramedics good money to do a job."
Councillor Rob Ford, CP24 mayoral debate. October 2010.

Soks seems to be the only candidate prepared to discuss the cost of Toronto's police and emergency services.

Except when it comes to thanking a guy that's been on the force for about 40 years. Then it's a waste of taxpayer money.

Except when it comes to thanking a guy that's been on the force for about 40 years. Then it's a waste of taxpayer money.

I don't think there has been any love lost between the Chief and the Fords for a long time. It's no secret how they feel about the Chief.

RoDoFo always say they "support our front-line officers 100%". ie: The union. That does not include their management such as Chief Blair and the civilian members of the Police Services Board. The Chief position is a political appointment.

I think the writing was on the wall for the Chief when RoFo called him an obscene name in a public place, and the union ( as far as I know ) made absolutely no objection to it. Doug also made some cracks about the chief and politics.

The silence from the union was deafening.

Rob also complained about the civilian TPS Director of Corporate Communications. “When you look at Mr. Pugash making $178,000 as a communications director, that’s pretty shocking,” Ford told reporters Friday. “But I support our front-line officers. They work hard. They deserve the money.”

That 3.19 per cent salary increase likely generated some good-will:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/05/06/what-the-new-contract-for-toronto-police/

"And if they're going to make a bit more money for doing it – I have never had a person come up and say, ‘Rob, I object to paying paramedics, firefighters or police more money.’ This is where the money should be spent, and I have no problem paying our officers, or our firefighters or our paramedics good money to do a job."
Councillor Rob Ford, CP24 mayoral debate. October 2010.

Soks seems to be the only candidate prepared to discuss the cost of Toronto's police and emergency services.

This is just another in the million drips of data that Fordites -- and especially anti-Miller, educated Fordites that should know better -- completely ignore about Ford's administration. His first year freeze of taxes was built on Miller's huge surprise surplus from the Land Transfer Tax. He signed off on a huge increase for the police budget, cleverly timed the employment contract to be renewed after his term, tried to give them extra toys. He spent an enormous amount of cash to tunnel the Eglinton Crosstown. But he cut office budgets, people.

Worst Mayor ever. The fact he's also a crack-smoking drunk should have been a clue, but it's not the reason he's the WORST MAYOR EVER.

It's a stain on the force that there are enough cops, whether rank and file, or management, who would side with Ford. An officer could be killed in the line of duty from a gun smuggled by the Dixon Bloods, who Ford helped enable, and protect via his refusal to speak to police. The streets are made unsafe for the public because of the people Ford is close to, and yet there are enough cops who would support another term because their he'd protect their paycheck. It's disgusting.

Agreed, but is this rumored support within the force for Mayor Criminal Fatass entirely about money? I'd be willing to bet at least some of it is ideological: Ford is a far right loon, and they're the default candidates for the self-appointed Law 'N' Order crowd, both uniformed and otherwise. Blair was supposed to be a modernizing influence (never mind the actual reality), and that in itself would be enough for those so inclined to support a wild-eyed, self-promoting nut over a man who at least has the appearence of being a moderate.

That Ford is an actual criminal himself, who's committed crimes, and pals around with and has enabled criminals adds a surreal edge to the entire ugly situation, obviously. But Ford's rabid fanbase has the distinction of believing all sorts of contradictory crap. And the police tend towards a bunker mentality these days as is; self-pitying, self-regarding, and mistrustful of anyone who isn't them. And that would appear to include dissenting opinions that also come in police uniforms.

I had a friend way back in high school who would say "My heart pumps purple piss for you" -- no idea where she got that from! ;)

Sounds like something a doctor might say about Rob Ford one day: 'I have no idea what he's taken, but his piss is purple - and it's shooting through his aorta!'

My family has roots in Windsor and I was born in Detroit - what many people don't know is "Detroit" was actually a Franco-Native outpost (Le Detroit) and it was originally pronounced "Le-Day-twa".

Yep. A détroit is simply a strait or sound.

Just a reminder to PM me your Ford Vote % prediction for the pool. Click on my user name, and then click on private message.

Just a reminder to PM me your Ford Vote % prediction for the pool. Click on my user name, and then click on private message.
I'm still working on my number, don't want to get in too early, Ford might lower the bar again. Is there anyone left in the arrest pool? I can't remember the last date that was picked.

Not here in Detroit, it isn't! Mind you, it isn't 3 syllables, either. Just DeTROYT. Unless you're talking DEE.troit!BASKET.ball! which is closer to singing, anyway. As for Toronto...guilty of 'Toronno', here. But then, I grew up in the depraved wilds of Don Mills. :)

heh, you're right - detroyt in regular speech, DEtroit if you're a radio host (WRIF comes to mind).

Yep. A détroit is simply a strait or sound.

What is with Americans choosing to name towns after what appear to be other (famous) towns and then mangling the pronunciation? A few examples: Cairo (CAY-ro), Calais (CAL-us), Montpelier (Mont-PEEL-yer). :confused:

The only examples I could think of here are Delhi (DEL-hi) and the Dalhousie (Dal-HOW-sie/Da-LOO-sie) discrepancy.

There's whole lists on Wikipedia of US towns with what they call "counterintuitive pronunciations" - some I'm not sure why they're on the list. Same for the UK, Australia and Canada (the main category was Names in English with Counterintuitive Pronunciations). Funny though, Detroit didn't make the list :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back