350     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 431     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 255     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also make an audible distinction between "you're" and "your," for all the friggin' good THAT does these days...

I wish announcers would make an audible distinction between "more on" and "moron". :p

ETA: Except when they're talking about RoDoFo.

Last edited:
ford-stintz-1.jpg

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...zs-on-again-off-again-political-relationship/

Attachments

• ford-stintz-1.jpg
    ford-stintz-1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 924
Actually, that is not the original NTCI school song. The original lyric is:
NTCI, we will fight for you,
For the right to do
Everything for you.
Red and grey we’ll ever proudly wear,
May our colours fly.
Victory comes while we sing,
Many trophies we will bring,
North Toronto, North Toronto.
Rah! Rah! Rah! (repeat ad libitum) or ad nauseum

I feel for y'all having to lamely plod through that. BUT, the best band program in the city was at NTCI. Many members of The Bourbon Tabernacle Choir and, so, BSS, The New Deal, etc., went through that program. So, ya, sing out.

Re Toronto...I've always pronounced it Tor-ON-to. But then I've only been here about 20 years. I'm from SW Ontario and get peeved when I hear Torontonians pronounce Detroit "De-troy-it", gosh darn it's DEEtroyt.

Not here in Detroit, it isn't! Mind you, it isn't 3 syllables, either. Just DeTROYT. Unless you're talking DEE.troit!BASKET.ball! which is closer to singing, anyway. As for Toronto...guilty of 'Toronno', here. But then, I grew up in the depraved wilds of Don Mills. :)

have been lurking on this Forum since May 2013. I have refreshed this thread so many times I should be tested for obsessive-compulsive disorder (I'm sure the mods must wonder who the hell I am). For no reason at all, I feel close and connected to all of you.
I have been inspired to come out of the darkness by the question of the pronunciation of "Toronto".
I was born in Toronto in 1951, my parents were born in Toronto, 3 of my 4 grandparents were born in Toronto (my grandfather was from Brampton). That is a rare pedigree for this diverse, constantly growing city.
I grew up at Eglinton and Oriole Parkway. Attended NTCI and UofT. I am the epitome of downtown elite yet I still pronounce the city's name as "Toronno".
It is the ONLY thing I have in common with Rob Ford.

Nah, he's strictly a chronical syllable dropper - Tronno = hoser, Toronno = okay. Better yet, if we could create an interrobang type amalgamation of the second "t" and colloquial second "n" I think that might be just about right. But again, I'm not perfect.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, does that stare look like the stare of a man that has more than enough to eat at home?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, does that stare look like the stare of a man that has more than enough to eat at home?

Aw c'mon, he's looking at something on the ground, so his daughter. No proof really otherwise. The fact that we all just assume he's a maggot is his fault though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back