347     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 429     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 255     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bid you hello too Trish. You’ll be invited to the big Rofo-is-Gone after-party at Suite 1735, after I get the key back from Fred Gardiner. :) That man forgets everything when he drinks...

If I hang out with enough east-coasters or Ottawa valley types, I find myself saying “Trawna”. I save “Tronno” for when I’m trying to be elite and uptown. I said 3-syllable “Toronto” once to an Italian-Canadian man on St Clair and he asked if I was talking about Taranto, Italy.

Thank you for the welcome. Perhaps the real defining difference is whether or not the city's name is pronounced ending in an "o" or an "a". Most everyone seems to slur the consonants.

Thank you for the welcome. Perhaps the real defining difference is whether or not the city's name is pronounced ending in an "o" or an "a". Most everyone seems to slur the consonants.

The Councillor for Ward Zero, er Hizzoner the Mayor slurs more than just those consonants -- early and often! ;)

I mean, we literally tore down the whole school, but you just keep coming back for more! :cool:

That said, the new school really does look awesome.

Sincerely,
Enesses class of 1980

As a child of the "60's, I assure you that my teenage objective was to tear down the school (literally) but never expected any help from Northern...so thanks.

Were we? hunh... put me down for "Toronno" in spite of NSS then.

NTCI Class of '79 here. And put me down for "Toronno" as well. Not surprising we pronounce it the same way. The schools were/are only 2 blocks apart.

"Who are we,
Can't you see,
It begins with a big N T........."

I came here from BC in '86 and have always pronounced it "Tor-ON-toe." Mind you, I also always cringed visibly every time the bus announcer-lady said "twenny twenny five Sheppard Avenue Easse." AND, I complained to CBC radio about the "professional announcer" who was recorded and played ad nauseam saying "nyney nine poin one." (They made him fix it.)

I also make an audible distinction between "you're" and "your," for all the friggin' good THAT does these days...

As we are speaking of the Mayor's slurring, let me offer the observation that he is still an unrepentant alcoholic and drug addled addict. There is no indication that he ever made the slightest effort to engage in true rehab. How long can Dougie and sobriety coach keep this hidden? Will anyone care if another "drunken stupor" video emerges?

10598289_512884072144889_996161770_n.jpg

http://www.vinevideoviewer.com/p/781433751490184806_6626200

Attachments

• 10598289_512884072144889_996161770_n.jpg
    10598289_512884072144889_996161770_n.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 970
As we are speaking of the Mayor's slurring, let me offer the observation that he is still an unrepentant alcoholic and drug addled addict. There is no indication that he ever made the slightest effort to engage in true rehab. How long can Dougie and sobriety coach keep this hidden? Will anyone care if another "drunken stupor" video emerges?

Not sure. Many of the mayor's allies have set the bar for his re-election at avoiding another drunken stupor video. Warmington said himself that he felt it would be over for Ford if it happened. But the Fords are constantly moving the bar that they set for himself. Ford went from "I'm finished drinking, come to Jesus, etc" to "I drink sometimes, whatever." in just a few months.

I'll be very surprised if nothing has come out by mid-September. Last time, Ford managed to keep his substance abuse under wraps November through mid-January.

NTCI Class of '79 here. And put me down for "Toronno" as well. Not surprising we pronounce it the same way. The schools were/are only 2 blocks apart.

"Who are we,
Can't you see,
It begins with a big N T........."

Actually, that is not the original NTCI school song. The original lyric is:
NTCI, we will fight for you,
For the right to do
Everything for you.
Red and grey we’ll ever proudly wear,
May our colours fly.
Victory comes while we sing,
Many trophies we will bring,
North Toronto, North Toronto.