588     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 557     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 688     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean he won't be at his campaign's victory party?

Also, this may be the first that CP24 is hearing of the plan. They probably said he could give a remotely-delivered concession soundbite.

Ratings and ad money are more important. People watching with the sound off are still on cp24. I bet they asked him to via ledrew.

I predict he will say Hudak over 100 times and will mention how great it will be for Ford to be right by his side as mayor.

Now I shall go and clean the vomit from the couch.

Also, will the other mayoral campaign managers get free airtime to campaign, I mean, give commentary?

No kidding - Dofo sure is working susiciously hard to get his face and name in the public eye.

Transparent evil lying jackass (did I miss anything?)

No kidding - Dofo sure is working susiciously hard to get his face and name in the public eye.

Transparent evil lying jackass (did I miss anything?)

It's all about the news cycles, and in this case, DoFo is now trying to promote himself as a Provincial politics expert. It is an interesting trend, it would seem that DoFo wants to be the preeminent barker/huckster of Ontario.

Also, will the other mayoral campaign managers get free airtime to campaign, I mean, give commentary?

Exactly. Set aside the relentless lying and criminality. The man's a sitting politician. Isn't it just a tad inappropriate to give him this kind of a platform?

Exactly. Set aside the relentless lying and criminality. The man's a sitting politician. Isn't it just a tad inappropriate to give him this kind of a platform?
I'm pretty sure I've seen sitting politicians on TV during election nights rambling on. Usually they'll have two, one from each side of the spectrum. If it's just Doug Ford then yes, shame on CP24. But maybe they'll have Shelley Carroll or someone else on, as well. Who knows.

No way really?
How do they know?

How do you think ratings work? :) Broadcast television is receive-only. Even your digital cable box doesn't send information back about your viewing habits, even though it technically has an upstream channel (for the digital guide and on-demand and PPV features), that would be violating your privacy.

In the US, you get offered to be part of a "Nielsen family". Nielsen is the company that records ratings in the United States. They give you a special cable box/DVR/etc that sends your viewing habit information back to Nielsen over the telephone line (or now I imagine, over the Internet). I have *no* idea how Nielsen tracks radio ratings, but I imagine it's something similar - special receiver. The idea is that because it's opt-in, but you have to be selected randomly to have the opportunity to opt-in, they form a representative sample of the entire population. Ratings are just an estimate.

In Canada, a company called BBM (no relation to Blackberry) does our ratings. The principle is the same - it's just a representative sample - but the technology is different. Here BBM gives you something called a "Portable People Meter". It's a pager-sized device that has a microphone and a little processor, and shows - TV, radio etc - that want to be tracked insert inaudible codes into their audio streams. The PPM picks up these audio codes and tracks what you heard that way. At the end of the day, you sync your PPM with a device at home that charges it and uploads the data to BBM.

So anyone wearing a PPM will not count a CP24 broadcast that is muted.

And now you know.

How do you think ratings work? :) Broadcast television is receive-only. Even your digital cable box doesn't send information back about your viewing habits, even though it technically has an upstream channel (for the digital guide and on-demand and PPV features), that would be violating your privacy.

In the US, you get offered to be part of a "Nielsen family". Nielsen is the company that records ratings in the United States. They give you a special cable box/DVR/etc that sends your viewing habit information back to Nielsen over the telephone line (or now I imagine, over the Internet). I have *no* idea how Nielsen tracks radio ratings, but I imagine it's something similar - special receiver. The idea is that because it's opt-in, but you have to be selected randomly to have the opportunity to opt-in, they form a representative sample of the entire population. Ratings are just an estimate.

In Canada, a company called BBM (no relation to Blackberry) does our ratings. The principle is the same - it's just a representative sample - but the technology is different. Here BBM gives you something called a "Portable People Meter". It's a pager-sized device that has a microphone and a little processor, and shows - TV, radio etc - that want to be tracked insert inaudible codes into their audio streams. The PPM picks up these audio codes and tracks what you heard that way. At the end of the day, you sync your PPM with a device at home that charges it and uploads the data to BBM.

So anyone wearing a PPM will not count a CP24 broadcast that is muted.

And now you know.

Oh hell I was just tossing out words lol

In the old days, it was all paper diaries... Ratings for radio have been around since the 20s.

That's where "sweeps" comes from in television. They "sweep" people with paper diaries in a systematic way. Still do.

http://m.insidetoronto.com/opinion-...rd-no-longer-a-contender-forum-poll-suggests/

Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 2.53.44 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 2.53.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 2.53.44 PM.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,134
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back