96     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 461     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 570     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Reporters don't have magic access to info. Quite the opposite, really, which is why scoops are a big deal. I'm just guessing, but I think Robyn is more or less pointing to Daniel Stein's [sp?] comments from a while back: TPS probably doesn't have direct evidence of who said what to whom, and this isn't a case where circumstantial evidence will carry the day. That could change, but longer it drags out, the less likely that becomes. That's a very reasonable opinion, based on what we know. There are others.

I get the impression Doolittle takes extra care to not say anything to rile up the Ford-ites too much because they terrify her. Rightfully so. I've noticed in every interview (and even in the book) she takes extra care to not look like she's picking on Ford, and gives him the benefit of the doubt at every opportunity. Not saying she's soft-pedalling anything, but it does seem like she's being...cautious.

dougscampaign.jpg

Attachments

• dougscampaign.jpg
    dougscampaign.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 956
Toronto has saved mega-super gazillions in the last four years...

GraphicMatt 9:21pm via Echofon
Ford seems to think that everything he believes will become undisputed fact if he wins reelection.

I agree. Reporters don't have magic access to info. Quite the opposite, really, which is why scoops are a big deal. I'm just guessing, but I think Robyn is more or less pointing to Daniel Stein's [sp?] comments from a while back: TPS probably doesn't have direct evidence of who said what to whom, and this isn't a case where circumstantial evidence will carry the day. That could change, but longer it drags out, the less likely that becomes. That's a very reasonable opinion, based on what we know. There are others.

I think Donovan has the highest level sources on this story--makes sense as he's been on the job for as long as Robyn's been alive. And he wasn't sharing everything with her, partly because he sensed she was going to jump ship for months now.

I get the impression Doolittle takes extra care to not say anything to rile up the Ford-ites too much because they terrify her. Rightfully so. I've noticed in every interview (and even in the book) she takes extra care to not look like she's picking on Ford, and gives him the benefit of the doubt at every opportunity. Not saying she's soft-pedalling anything, but it does seem like she's being...cautious.

Given the threats she says she's received, I don't blame her for guarding her comments.

GraphicMatt 9:19pm via Echofon
Ford challenged city manager Pennachetti to "get into the mayoral race if he wanted to argue about the numbers." Wow.

Given the threats she says she's received, I don't blame her for guarding her comments.
I find that a helpful reminder, though not something that will necessarily change at the Globe. Given her singular accomplishments, I hope for her an exemplary career. The caution I've heard from her sounds plausibly like a journalists ethics, rather than something craven. But she tried to make it very clear she hates the scrum. It seems like a circus, and not my idea of a reasonable approach to civic reporting.

Last edited:
GraphicMatt 9:19pm via Echofon
Ford challenged city manager Pennachetti to "get into the mayoral race if he wanted to argue about the numbers." Wow.

How does he keep getting away with threatening people? I can't get my head wrapped this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back