431     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 543     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
So am I reading this correctly? They told the media the $1 billion in savings is a lie but Ford sent out an email later saying they confirmed he did save $1 billion?

THE CITY: Mayor Ford’s taxpayer savings: the billion dollar question by David Nickle at InsideToronto.com:
...as city staff acknowledge, the ship of state kept an even keel in no small part because the Miller mayoralty had done heavy-lifting work: approving the land transfer tax and negotiating upload agreements with the provincial government.

When you roll in fare increases, user fees, the upload, everything, and call them all budget reductions (and this is how city finance staff look at the big picture) the second Miller term comes out a couple hundred million dollars ahead, having ‘cut’ $2.447 billion to Ford’s $2.162 billion...

And not that it matters to voters this election – but as much as he claims otherwise, Ford didn’t save taxpayers $1 billion.

Last edited:
The city is selling off old street signs. I have no idea what gives Rob Ford and his massive ego the right to "tag" these street signs that are decades old. It really shows the guy's massive ego that he thinks he's bigger than the city, that he has to stain classic street signs by tagging it, like it belongs to him and also interesting how nobody who works in the city offices can say NO to him.

To be fair, I think it's the liquidation company's idea to get local "celebrities" to autograph some of the signs and I think Ford won't be the only one.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...ryone-happy-some-will-be-signed-by-celebrity/
The mayor signed sixteen of the signs, which are being auctioned off by Platinum Liquidations on behalf of the city. He’s the first of many local “celebrities” expected to autograph some of the signs, said Steve Wagman, who owns the liquidation company.

Mr. Wagman suggested Mr. Ford’s “infamy” could boost the bids for the autographed signs.

http://www.platinumliquidations.com/sections/street-signs.html#.U173LvldVQi
A select number of signs will be autographed by prominent Toronto personalities

Sure, they could've started with just planning to have only Rob Ford autograph some of the signs and later changed it to personalities (plural) but I wouldn't put all the blame on Ford. I'm guessing they asked him to do this and he had no problem with it.

I think you're right

I agree. Reporters don't have magic access to info. Quite the opposite, really, which is why scoops are a big deal. I'm just guessing, but I think Robyn is more or less pointing to Daniel Stein's [sp?] comments from a while back: TPS probably doesn't have direct evidence of who said what to whom, and this isn't a case where circumstantial evidence will carry the day. That could change, but longer it drags out, the less likely that becomes. That's a very reasonable opinion, based on what we know. There are others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back