377     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 680     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 438     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am seriously almost in tears at this point. Perhaps it's time to admit that Ford seems to have some sort of weird stronghold on this city. I want to believe that big consequences are coming his way. But I'm starting to lose faith. It seems that Ford will never have to properly account for anything, ever.

Then we will need to pull up our Quebecois bootstraps and stage a general strike.
The only reason this is still going on is because of immense apathy. We all need to do more.
There are many of us and few of them. WE HAVE THE POWER.

Wait. What? So now if you withdraw money from savings to cover an expense that you couldn't (or didn't) cover with revenue that's considered an "efficiency"? That makes my head hurt.

Here. Have an aspirin and remember: Rob claims to have implemented his savings without drawing on reserves.

Then we will need to pull up our Quebecois bootstraps and stage a general strike.
The only reason this is still going on is because of immense apathy. We all need to do more.

Maybe this is a fantasy -- perhaps we can start an indiegogo campaign? Use the dollars for advertising and mobilizing voters... We can all contribute our savings from VRT removal;)

The campaign professionals seem powerless to stop this guy because he's like nothing they've faced before in Canadian politics. I think the citizens of Toronto themselves are going to have to run a campaign against Rob Ford if we want to stop him, because vote splitting is looking more and more likely to return the guy to power.

Some tweets from councillor Carroll:

Last night, Rob said he hasn’t cut the TTC by “Dime One”. Today, the CFO claims TTC cuts of $75million.
Last night, Rob says he’s been good to families. Today, the CFO claims he cut $13.7 million from Children Services.
Your roads are a mess. The CFO says Rob has cut $15.6 million from the roads budget.
Rob says “It’s all about JOBS, Folks”. Today, the CFO says he’s cut $13million from Toronto Employment Services.

The campaign professionals seem powerless to stop this guy because he's like nothing they've faced before in Canadian politics. I think the citizens of Toronto themselves are going to have to run a campaign against Rob Ford if we want to stop him, because vote splitting is looking more and more likely to return the guy to power.
Ford has been a lying criminal pig for so long that the expectations placed on him are ridiculously low. The perception of anyone that would consider voting for him is so jaundiced that he could fuck a donkey on stage and it won't harm him much.

On the other hand all the rest of the candidates are held to a high standard.

The problem in many ways isn't Ford but the acceptance of Ford. Like someone posted the other day, Doolittle's book is called Crazy Town, not Crazy Mayor.

People need to calm down. The narrative that the election hinges on whoever can save the most money is not what will rebuild Ford's support. I'm still confident that very little of the centrist/right support that he had in 2010 will return not to him. There is plenty of time for candidates to press Ford on his lifestyle, character and vision for city.

Last edited:
@ShellyCarroll is really getting vicious with Ford, directly calling him out for his lies, refuting them with short, sharp facts.

This is what we all need to do.

This is really strange. Why is Penachetti all of a sudden coming out with this? I am seriously considering the possibility that the Fords have something on him.

This was a very sharp turn from his previous comments on the budget savings--what kind of intimidation is going on here?

Pedro Marques ‏@MetroManTO · 3h
@AndrwLvngstn @goldsbie @simonkinglaw Cross referenced with intel from media sources and it neatly matches. Very credible.

People need to calm down. The narrative that the election hinges on whoever can save the most money is not what will rebuild Ford's support. I'm still confident that very little of the centrist/right support that he had in 2010 will return to him. There is plenty of time for candidates to press Ford on his lifestyle, character and vision for city.

This^. What Rob achieved last night was making a good impression on people who's support may have been wavering toward the Tory camp, IMO. He's protecting his base, but I doubt that he grew it by any meaningful measure. As of today, I think JT is the person who should be most worried. He needs to bring more of Rob's soft support into his tent, and that's not happening so far. Maybe he's keeping his powder dry until we see what happens with Brazen 2.

Looks like Doug made another office visit--

goldsbie 1:07pm via Web
Odd coincidence. The City's CFO just sent councillors a briefing note superficially supporting Ford's savings claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back