242     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 665     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having - Mitch Hedberg

What I want to know is, did Rob Ford make an effort to quit drinking and doing drugs? If so, and obviously he failed at that (which does happen, people with issues fall off the wagon), is that something we can harshly criticize him for? If he was sober for awhile but slipped, isn't it wrong to add it to the list of things Ford lied to us about? The man needs help. If he had said "yes, I will never drink again" and then 10 minutes later he got wasted, then we should call him out on it. But should we if he made an effort and was unsuccessful?

Yes, because he should have stepped down. If he wasn't desperately and selfishly clinging to power despite his inability to do the job, no one would give a crap what he does.

i would say he's at rock bottom. at his current pace, he's unlikely to live to retirement age (65) which is much younger than average life expectancy for a male. he needs to turn things around right now if he intends to live an average lifespan.

I'm afraid he's not there yet. Close though. He will hit rock bottom shortly after he gets charged and has to step down as Mayor.

Doug also said his main concern about that night was why a 13 year old was out at 1:30 am.

I thought this happened around 10:30? Oh Doug...

What's even funnier (to me, anyway): wasn't the woman with the 13 year old a Ford supporter? So she toddles up to Tipsy McBlimp for a little hero worship, only to be cursed at by said hero, and later insulted by his thug brother! And no doubt she was shocked - shocked, I tells ya - at such scandalous behavior! Gasp! Why didn't anyone warn her about what kind of people the Fords are?

He still can be mayor unless / until he starts serving time. From what I read here, that could take years - if ever.

I have a feeling that if he does get criminally charged with something sufficiently serious he will eventually drop out of the mayoral race so that he can run as a councilor. This would be embarrassing for him but better than nothing (assuming he's able to win his old seat back), which is what he'll have if he loses the mayoral election...and to save face he could claim it was the plan all along, or that he decided he could serve his constituents better that way (true, as far as it goes), or...any old bullshit that would be good enough for Ford Hamlet.

I have a feeling that if he does get criminally charged with something sufficiently serious he will eventually drop out of the mayoral race so that he can run as a councilor.

I wonder if Doug would then step up to the plate as pinch-hitter?
View attachment 23881

Last edited:
What's even funnier (to me, anyway): wasn't the woman with the 13 year old a Ford supporter? So she toddles up to Tipsy McBlimp for a little hero worship, only to be cursed at by said hero, and later insulted by his thug brother! And no doubt she was shocked - shocked, I tells ya - at such scandalous behavior! Gasp! Why didn't anyone warn her about what kind of people the Fords are?

She was a resident of Mississauga who apparently happened to be driving by. So whether she supports Ford is irrelevant, given that she can't vote in a Toronto election. But yeah, nice move on Doug's part to turn on her. I don't think Ford was aiming his cursing at her though, was he?

I wonder if Doug would then step up to the plate as pinch-hitter?

Anything's possible with these two, but as others here have noted, Doug doesn't have Rob's inexplicable personal popularity, he's repeatedly said he's not re-running for city council (much less mayor), he seemingly has even less ability to work with people than Rob does, he'd have that Rob Ford stink all over him...he'd be an even longer shot than Rob is at this point.

Why, oh why would someone, a mother in this case, find an, obviously drunk, Rob Ford...awesome? What kind of a person thinks his behaviour is acceptable or attractive? He's the Mayor of Toronto for gawds sake. He's a father of two small kids and he's out on the town getting sloshed.

My sentiments exactly. I heard her say "I think you awesome"...really?? Awesome? So much so she thought her 13 year old should have a pic with him?

Interesting pic of the City of Toronto's 1954 Packard following at a polite distance. I've driven it, and it's still fully-equipped. We haven't lost a mayor since 1963! ( Age 48 ). Maybe he took his last ride in that unit?

"Summerville suffered a fatal heart attack while playing in a charity hockey game at the George Bell Arena in the west-end Toronto neighbourhood known as The Junction.[3] The fire department arrived about three-minutes after they were called, but because ambulances in the area were already on call, an ambulance had to be dispatched from Yonge Street at Davenport Road and did not arrive until about 15-minutes after it was called, arriving at 8:55 p.m.[4] At very high speed, he was rushed to St. Joseph Hospital in the High Park area, and died there at 9:05 p.m. Mayor Philip Givens, who succeeded Summerville, called for an inquest into why the emergency response was so slow.[4] The inquiry into the emergency response to his death led to the creation of the Department of Emergency Services and the amalgamation of Metropolitan Toronto's various local ambulance services."

Guess they're not taking chances on loosing another.
View attachment 23882

Last edited:
Dude, seriously? Go to Settings, General Settings, it has the default subscription mode right there. Set it to "Control panel only" or whatever. Then disable all existing notifications from the Subscriptions list in the settings.

This is how vB has worked for literally a decade, were you born yesterday?

Thanks, bro, but I haven't ever subscribed. It was extra cool in November having 400 emails one day while traveling in Thailand on shaky wifi.

14vJYm0.jpg

Jackson Proskow ‏@JProskowGlobal 15m
"Why don’t you tell the truth, why don’t you tell the truth and why don’t you tell the truth!" said Doug Ford as he pointed at reporters.

Jackson Proskow ‏@JProskowGlobal 4m
I asked Councillor Ford to provide a specific example of the media not telling the truth. He couldn't. Then said "I could talk all day."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back