411     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having - Mitch Hedberg

What I want to know is, did Rob Ford make an effort to quit drinking and doing drugs? If so, and obviously he failed at that (which does happen, people with issues fall off the wagon), is that something we can harshly criticize him for? If he was sober for awhile but slipped, isn't it wrong to add it to the list of things Ford lied to us about? The man needs help. If he had said "yes, I will never drink again" and then 10 minutes later he got wasted, then we should call him out on it. But should we if he made an effort and was unsuccessful?

I think initially along with his trips to the gym he *might* have tried (or at least kept it at home). Many alcoholics have multiple "I'm never drinking again" sincere moments but can't pull it off without help. It seems Ford is surrounded by people (looking at Mother Ford in particular) who seem to just brush it off as a bit of a problem, which isn't going to help him in the least.

Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having - Mitch Hedberg

What I want to know is, did Rob Ford make an effort to quit drinking and doing drugs? If so, and obviously he failed at that (which does happen, people with issues fall off the wagon), is that something we can harshly criticize him for? If he was sober for awhile but slipped, isn't it wrong to add it to the list of things Ford lied to us about? The man needs help. If he had said "yes, I will never drink again" and then 10 minutes later he got wasted, then we should call him out on it. But should we if he made an effort and was unsuccessful?

Alcoholism is tragic and most people would have some sympathy for Ford's struggle. But sympathy and enabling are close neighbours. A person with a serious alcohol problem is not fit to run a major city. In fact, Ford is not fit for most jobs in this condition. There's a reason poorer people afflicted with serious addictions end up alone, homeless or have trouble finding and keeping work. The energy needed to fuel such behavior overwhelms all else. The people who live with addicts eventually burn out from trying to cope.

Nobody should be yelling at him, but those who care about him and want to see him quit ought to make it clear that they will offer him support for recovery, but distance themselves for their own mental and physical well-being if he does not quit. If this was a man without family money, it's doubtful he would still have a wife, kids, home or job to go to.

As a private citizen with substance abuse problems, Rob Ford has my full support. As a mayor who continues to lie and deny, he doesn't even have his own.

Info could be made public as early as Wednesday, but they usually release some upfront and the rest later. The only thing I know about this round is it includes wiretaps with Dixon guys fearing that the Fords were going to have them killed. But those probably won't be made public until they're presented in court.

Guys, anyone else think this is a big deal!?

Something I've noticed about this thread. There are some who are really into the criminal aspect of the Fords, and others who are really into the Rob Ford, Drunk at Large. I have to say, going on and on about Ford's alcoholism and his addiction is boring. Surprise! He's a liar. Far more interesting is the possible criminal element we only get fleeting glimpses of here and there.

Guys, anyone else think this is a big deal!?

Something I've noticed about this thread. There are some who are really into the criminal aspect of the Fords, and others who are really into the Rob Ford, Drunk at Large. I have to say, going on and on about Ford's alcoholism and his addiction is boring. Surprise! He's a liar. Far more interesting is the possible criminal element we only get fleeting glimpses of here and there.

When there's lack of new info on Ford's criminal/dodgy activities, this thread reverts to whatever drunken and/or showbiz antics Ford (and Dougie) supply.

I think initially along with his trips to the gym he *might* have tried (or at least kept it at home). Many alcoholics have multiple "I'm never drinking again" sincere moments but can't pull it off without help. It seems Ford is surrounded by people (looking at Mother Ford in particular) who seem to just brush it off as a bit of a problem, which isn't going to help him in the least.

Rob Ford is nowhere near rock bottom when it comes to drinking. He's still a young man, and while there's a chance he could sober up in the near term I really don't see it. Some people have to lose absolutely everything: career, family, money, their home, before they have finally depleted their hunger for booze. My feeling is he has many many lows, and many many years of alcoholism left in him. Once he loses the election it will only accelerate.

Rob Ford is nowhere near rock bottom when it comes to drinking. He's still a young man, and while there's a chance he could sober up in the near term I really don't see it. Some people have to lose absolutely everything: career, family, money, their home, before they have finally depleted their hunger for booze. My feeling is he has many many lows, and many many years of alcoholism left in him. Once he loses the election it will only accelerate.

Rob will always have his share of Deco. As an inheritance, I doubt even his wife could touch that.

When did Ford try to get help for his addictions? He refused to take time off work and go to rehab. It seems like he is doing everything he can to avoid getting help, so he deserves every bit of criticism he gets. All of his talk of change, is about him losing weight, which is nobody's business. It's the drug and alcohol use that effects how he does his job. He is just using his weight as a smoke screen as an attempt to avoid dealing with his drug use. (and it's a pathetic attempt at that) It's obvious to everyone, except Ford, that the man still has an addiction problem.

i would say he's at rock bottom. at his current pace, he's unlikely to live to retirement age (65) which is much younger than average life expectancy for a male. he needs to turn things around right now if he intends to live an average lifespan.

i would say he's at rock bottom. at his current pace, he's unlikely to live to retirement age (65) which is much younger than average life expectancy for a male. he needs to turn things around right now if he intends to live an average lifespan.
He's not at rock bottom. He is still Mayor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back