1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 541     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are so many people so anxious to ruin arguably, the most treasured green space we have in Toronto? Jets and now brothels.
while i don't disagree that jets and brothels would further compromise the island, i will argue its place as our "most treasured" green space

high park and rouge park, the don valley and humber valley -- these are equally treasured by those of us who don't enjoy cramming ourselves like sardines on a ferry to spend the day amongst screaming kids and litterers

thank $deity that rob ford never goes down in the ravines

oh, wait...

while i don't disagree that jets and brothels would further compromise the island, i will argue its place as our "most treasured" green space

high park and rouge park, the don valley and humber valley -- these are equally treasured by those of us who don't enjoy cramming ourselves like sardines on a ferry to spend the day amongst screaming kids and litterers

oh, wait...

Yes but if the BB airport was removed and the land was made part of Toronto's 'emerald necklace' park system imagine how accessible it would be. A pedestrian bridge would see little opposition if that had ever been proposed.

oh, wait...

All my life I've been riding the ferry back 'n forth - crammed with kids or not, and I still love it - it's part of the Island experience. Lots of beaches too, if that's your thing (it's mine).

Yes but if the BB airport was removed and the land was made part of Toronto's 'emerald necklace' park system imagine how accessible it would be. A pedestrian bridge would see little opposition if that had ever been proposed.

If the airport were to go away (it's not) no bridge would be needed, we'd have an underground walkway! I'd still ride the ferry though.

Anyone who doesn't understand that this property would be prime Condo country is not paying attention. Developers spinning their web to Yacht Club members would have a powerful lobby onside making approval of a vehicle bridge a distinct possibility if not a slam dunk. Sorry park people, money talks.

You're completely disingenuous, Bennett000. After making a big show of how the search function on UT doesn't show anyone wishing death on Ford, I, as promised, did my own sleuthing and have returned with the results. Well, I didn't have to look very far (took me about 20 minutes).

There are at least three high-activity UT users who have made comments wishing for Ford's death. Interestingly enough, one is a moderator - AlvinofDiaspar - and has posted multiple times about wanting Ford's death. When you have a moderator of UT posting in favor of Ford's death, that's about as explicit an encouragement that you can get.

Then there's vox:
And MTown:

These aren't "New Users". They're among the most frequent and active users on this thread.

Now, they can say whatever they want. I've got no problem with that. What I've got a problem with is you trying to disingenuously pretend like these things aren't said, when they readily are even by moderators.

Good finds CowboyLogic. In AoD's first case there was this, immediately after:

And once again we've ventured into the dark, tasteless depths of people on this forum.

You can hate his politics, but never forget that the man is a brother, son, husband and father.

... and this is coming from someone who hates and detests his politics and mayoralty.

In MTown's case, his quote just happened December 19th 2013, which was after I challenged you to find people wishing death on Ford. In three cases, the death wish was neither acknowledged, nor encouraged; which were stipulations.

Also, who wished death on Ford, and was acknowledged and/or encouraged?

CowboyLogic I would urge you to read up on what disingenuous means, because "I do not think it means what you think it means".

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't pretend like UT is a place for high-minded discussion and insight when users and moderators alike are engaging in unchecked vitriol and extremism. And to attempt to discredit me as a liar/nonsensical for pointing this out is truly pathetic.
You discredited yourself by posting after you said you wouldn't post anymore. I had nothing to do with that.

Ford Nation is essentially revenge of the high-school dropouts, and I don't mean the ones with initiative.

It's not just high school drop outs that are having a hard time. I know some very well educated people who are stuck in low paying, crappy jobs. The middle class is slowly going down the tubes and younger people coming out of school, are pretty much screwed. It's not surprising that people are becoming angry and a backlash is forming. It will only grow worse in time and politicians like Ford will exploit the hell out of the situation. The Occupy protests may have gone away but the problems that caused it, have not and neither has the sentiment.

Ok guys. Cowboylogic, his supporters and his detractors: Get a room! Set up your own thread to argue about who's right and wrong about wishing Ford ill. Or deal with this by PM. But stop raising the tit for tat arguments here.

They are not clever;they are not carrying the discussion forward. They are off topic and tied up with personal ego, or -- as my mother used to say: "Not of general interest." Please -- stop it.

Ford Nation is not socially conservative at all. They condone hard drugs, impaired driving, wife-beating, phallic hats, hanging out with known felons, and dancing in the middle of church service.

Dancing in the middle of the service really depends on the church.

What about this story the Post is pushing, about the Star pressuring people to sign a letter against Ford and threatening to publish the names of those who don't?

Anyone who doesn't understand that this property would be prime Condo country is not paying attention. Developers spinning their web to Yacht Club members would have a powerful lobby onside making approval of a vehicle bridge a distinct possibility if not a slam dunk. Sorry park people, money talks.

Never. Going. To. Happen. But it could make for some interesting discussion in a Toronto Islands thread in Neighbourhood Node.

What about this story the Post is pushing, about the Star pressuring people to sign a letter against Ford and threatening to publish the names of those who don't?

I don't think it was quite like that. I think it was more along the lines of "Do you think Mayor Ford is still qualified to be mayor and beyond that what are your comments on the situation? We'll publish any comments or lack thereof".

Personally I think it was stupid and I wish they hadn't done it. Thestar shouldn't really be TRYING to give Ford Nation ammunition for their conspiracy theories.

I don't think it was quite like that. I think it was more along the lines of "Do you think Mayor Ford is still qualified to be mayor and beyond that what are your comments on the situation? We'll publish any comments or lack thereof".

Personally I think it was stupid and I wish they hadn't done it. Thestar shouldn't really be TRYING to give Ford Nation ammunition for their conspiracy theories.
Yes, I agree. FN gets too much press as it is. No one is interviewing the *at least* 60% of us who would never ever ever vote for that moron never ever ever.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back