1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 551     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the interesting things I noticed on that Facebook group is that some of those people were alluding to the email spat between Gawker's Tom Socca and The Toronto Star's John Cruickshank. I saw various people essentially claiming that it's "proof" the Toronto Star was "out to get" the Mayor. They see it as some kind of smoking gun against the newspaper that was "leaked" by Gawker.

I had never seen this point made anywhere else. I've read the email correspondence in question and I'm completely unsure how that leap of logic was made. It's ugly, petty and ridiculous maybe but nothing in it seems to indicate TheStar was involved in something nefarious.

http://gawker.com/tom-tips-back-special-tom-tips-edition-1458317675

These statements from Mr. Cruickshank caught my attention when I read it:

The truth came out this week because of the months we've spent in court and the pressure we've put on the police chief.

If you really want to help we can work together and try to get the crooks out of office. Otherwise, I'll write my piece, apologize for forgetting about your brief excursion to this country, and get back to work.

Not hard to spin this as "out to get" the mayor.

Last edited:
These statements from Mr. Cruickshank caught my attention when I read it:

Not hard to spin this as "out to get" the mayor.

I see it as easy to spin this way: Paper has knowledge that the Mayor is involved in criminal activity, and has criminal associations. It isn't required to be impartial or deferential to the Mayor based on this information they possess. The Star proceeds with the view that he is corrupt. The paper has a duty to report truthful information, not act as if Ford deserves to be given the benefit of the doubt because of his status.

Maybe if someone helped with Rob's homework when he was in university, he may have actually completed his courses and graduated.

To be fair, I dropped out of university twice (Carleton, Ryerson) and college (George Brown) not because I couldn't handle it (As and Bs) but because I wasn't interested enough in finishing.

Though, I dare say, I'm not half the moron that Ford is so maybe he did suck at it.

Maybe if someone helped with Rob's homework when he was in university, he may have actually completed his courses and graduated.

Now, now - I've never set foot on a(n) university campus as a student, and I'm pretty sure I could run intellectual circles around our "mayor", although that's not saying much ;-)

i find this quote interesting...

Councillor Doug Ford shows up in support of his brother. He signs the eBay entrepreneur’s bobblehead, then goes to talk to people in line and take pictures with them. When asked if he’ll give his brother a cheque for $2,000 for Christmas, as Rob Ford suggested was a good present for women, he laughs and says, “He should be paying me more than two grand for all the abuse I take for this character.â€

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/1...-trying-to-deliver-lumps-of-coal-to-rob-ford/

doug feels he takes abuse for rob?!? so none of it is due to anything doug himself has done, or made rob do... no, it's all just rob's fault.

plus, so much for...

Councillor Doug Ford, who once said that he’d “be more than happy to be thrown underneath the bus for my brother any day.â€

Star Dispatches - Ford: A Date With Destiny, By Kenneth Kidd

"The truth came out this week because of the months we've spent in court and the pressure we've put on the police chief."
What is The Star alluding to when they mention their time in court? The conflict of interest cases?

"The truth came out this week because of the months we've spent in court and the pressure we've put on the police chief."
What is The Star alluding to when they mention their time in court? The conflict of interest cases?

Pretty sure he's referring to the court case(s) regarding the release of the ITO(s).

Ford Nation is not socially conservative at all. They condone hard drugs, impaired driving, wife-beating, phallic hats, hanging out with known felons, and dancing in the middle of church service.

Ford Nation is essentially revenge of the high-school dropouts, and I don't mean the ones with initiative.

I've noticed Ford supporters on their facebook pages like to indulge in the heavy use of posters with quotes or sayings, usually emotional and very definitive in nature. They also like to make exhibitions of their 'morality'. One old guy spouted on about how he donating generously to a food bank - and how the next day he won 25 times the value of the donation. Guess god was watching down on him.

"Won" how? I can see them being the Woodbine-going bunch...

Someone referred to the people on the I Hate The War on Mayor Ford FB page as evil. I think of them mostly as disingenuous, irrational and weaselly, but really they just have too much of their intellectual/cognitive capital invested in the idea of Ford being incapable of doing wrong, of every Ford misstep being excusable, and in their concept of what Ford stands for, to even consider changing their minds.

And in the end, really, they're only a marginal (albeit core) smidgen of Ford's support out there. But if you want to grasp why their investment is so, it's because Ford's all they have to go by--and for the most part, they tend to be the same-old fringe-political-candidate-and-supporter mentalcases who troll message boards and comment threads elsewhere, who just feel that rare bout of "empowerment" because Ford's in office. They're "not typical"--but because Ford's in office, we wind up projecting a "typicality" onto them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back