943     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 528     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just high school drop outs that are having a hard time. I know some very well educated people who are stuck in low paying, crappy jobs. The middle class is slowly going down the tubes and younger people coming out of school, are pretty much screwed. It's not surprising that people are becoming angry and a backlash is forming. It will only grow worse in time and politicians like Ford will exploit the hell out of the situation. The Occupy protests may have gone away but the problems that caused it, have not and neither has the sentiment.

This.

Lack of opportunity for 20-somethings (and 30-, 40- and 50-ish people who suddenly find that their once-viable line of work is evaporating faster than they can draw breath) is a huge social issue, and is therefore a big factor in today's politics, at all levels.

(Of course there are still great opportunities for the brightest, most creative, and most energetic newgrads, in both positive and negative ways, e.g., positive progress in health care and environmental engineering, negative progress in lawyering and shoddy engineering to promote reckless northwest coast bitumen tanker traffic ASAP.)

The ability of municipal politicians to counter this trend is obviously limited. But to ignore it, to do nothing but let it get worse in your city, and then exploit it to get reelected is arguably as bad as the murder that Rob Ford allegedly could get away with. I don't think it's hyperbole to say that a mayoral candidate who can crush the Fords partly by getting a few 100,000 voters to understand what the stakes are would be a national hero.

(About Harper, AB govt, etc., ... don't get me started ...)

Last edited:
Anyone who doesn't understand that this property would be prime Condo country is not paying attention. Developers spinning their web to Yacht Club members would have a powerful lobby onside making approval of a vehicle bridge a distinct possibility if not a slam dunk. Sorry park people, money talks.

Everybody understands that this would be prime condo country. But, like the prospect of building a condo in the middle of High Park, everybody knows it will not happen. Developers have been trying to build a condo in the centre of Stanley park in Vancouver for decades but the slightest whisper is met with unanimous outrage. I'm a pretty cynical person with little faith that people will do the right thing (well, mostly little faith that people hiding behind corporations will do the right thing), but I know it can not happen even in Toronto. Not much is sacred in Toronto, but condo development on the Toronto Islands on designated parkland - it will never happen. Never.

As a footnote, if the BB airport wasn't already there, if it were parkland, it too would never happen at this stage in Toronto's history.

.....And back to Rube Fraud.

Last edited:
Anyone who doesn't understand that this property would be prime Condo country is not paying attention. Developers spinning their web to Yacht Club members would have a powerful lobby onside making approval of a vehicle bridge a distinct possibility if not a slam dunk. Sorry park people, money talks.

Put me down as another 'never going to happen'. Even if developers were that persuasive, yacht club members don't actually care which side of the channel condos go up on, as long as a fixed bridge between the island and the mainland is never built. In fact, the head of CommunityAIR, for all his talk of the BBTCA's effects on the waterfront and island residents, is really only concerned with how it affects him as a sailor.

Also, condos on the island is such a far-fetched idea it's a wonder Doug Ford hasn't pitched it yet.

Verbatim quote from Conrad Black NatPo comment (http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/12/21/conrad-black-the-toronto-stars-ideological-shakedown-operation/) Saturday ...

I recall that she [Rosie DiManno] threatened to jump off Christie Blatchford's roof if I didn't hire her, and I said that "That would be an over-reaction." And when somebody else said she wanted to show if she could fly, I said, "So jump." But it doesn't much matter, and is no basis on which to embitter relations for 13 years. (My clearer memory of that party is of another female journalist who offered me sexual intercourse in exchange for an interview, an offer I declined with thanks and a commendation for her enterprise.)

Rosie DiManno is awful (I am aware that I am far from the first person ever to point that out on this forum) but Conrad Black is just astonishingly worse.

He really wrote that, and the National Post saw fit to publish it. WTF? Somehow we're supposed to infer that The Star is the true villain here?

The Lord Black vs. Rosie DiManno tiff is something to behold. It's like watching two boxers in a ring, throwing nothing but low blows, and enjoying it.

One thing… can the words "Ford Nation" be banned? It plays right into the false notion that Ford has a monolithic contingent of supporters standing together in patriotic solidarity. It gives him way too much credit.

As a replacement, I would prefer the term "Ford's disparate array of self-deceiving followers"

Rob Ford just on CP24 addressing the storm, encouraging people to go out and get food.

Assume he means those who don't have enough to eat at home.

So Rob Ford is holding a press conference at 1:45, addressing the ice storm. Why is HE speaking rather than Norm Kelly??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back