74     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 459     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 564     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what some of us wish. It would be intelligent of the media to deny Fraud any further platform for his grandstanding.

At this point, I strongly agree. Ford has no power and nothing constructive to say. To go to one of his random press conferences is totally participating in a media circus in which he enjoys being the ringleader.

If the major media could agree amongst themselves they're not going to go, that would be the optimal way to shut him down and shut him up. My secondary suggestion would be go but turn off cameras or whatever when he is talking and then, during question period, everyone ask the same question until he leaves. (Possible suggestion: "What was Sandro Lisi giving you in those envelopes?" though "How did you know Anthony Smith?" works too. I know he won't answer them but right now when he does what he did yesterday they are playing into his hands.

I'm sure they know that but ....maybe the Dale thing will be enough to galvanize them to work together. I can understand why the Star can't boycott only to find the Sun and Globe and Post covering his press conference but if they all agree to not go, it would be an actual blow to him. As he told Fox, he is "loving" this, so you KNOW you are helping him by putting him on camera at all at this point.

Was just doing a little reading on the Mammoliti saga - love his comment after his surgery about the doctors (surgeons) at St. Mike's: " It’s incredible. They’re geniuses — that’s what they are. We shouldn’t be talking about any health care reform that would impact what they do."

In other words, insofar as they can help me directly, let's consider them valuable.

That's how it came across, anyway.

From Katie Simpson's twitter:

Katie Simpson ‏@KatieSimpson24 5m
In the lobby of 500 Dawes, one resident said to Mayor Ford the landlord "gets away with murder just like you do". #ToPoli

Good question. You may want to ask a few Ford supporters. People on here were claiming Daniel Dale is gay. It clearly does not matter. What does matter is unsubstantiated rumour.

You mean the word Ford doesn't want to say? With any luck, Ford will have to stand in court while someone says it to him.

Anyone a lawyer here? Could Ford be compelled to appear as a defendant in libel action, or does it not work like that?

You're lucky. I live in a one bedroom. My electric bill was over four hundred dollars ($400) last time. Our bills cover a two month period. The worst part is, that the largest chunk of my bill is a delivery fee which alone is over a hundred dollars ($100). This is ridiculous since we live in a house that split into several apartments, which are all billed separately, meaning cumulatively we spend a couple hundred dollars a month just getting electricity to our home.

I have no recourse but to trust the electric company, and hope they can fix this. I'm doubtful they will. Just to get power in the first place I had to give them a few hundred dollars as a deposit, unless of course I got a letter from a gas, or electric company. Not a telco, not a credit rating score, but a full on letter from a very specific utility company.

The sooner I can get off the city's electrical grid the better.

Sorry for entering into a sidebar discussion, but I have to wonder if there is something up with your electricity metering, or some seriously inefficient appliances. In my previous apartment (3 bedrooms with electric baseboard heat), the last electricity bill was under $200, and the only time we would see a $400+ bill would be the one covering January and February. It might be worth looking in to it, at least. (You can also avoid the deposit if you set up an automated bill payment, although I certainly acknowledge that not everyone is in a position to be sure of having the funds to pay on the withdrawal date.)

Media boycott/blackout idea is a pipe dream. Unrealistic. We can dream though. Problems with the idea:

1) CP24 would never, ever go along. They have to feed the 24/7 live news beast. They never saw a Ford presser they didn't breathlessly pre-announce as if it were a potential huge breaking story, when we all know it's just going to be more b.s. And editorially CP24 are so pro-Ford it's not funny. I don't think Katie S. or the front-line reporters are pro-Ford, but decision-makers clearly are. Why else would they allow LeDrew/Six Flags Guy to do those Dougie Jr. beej interviews? And to my eyes they often leave out salient details in their Ford reporting. I forget examples, but I think someone on here recently pointed out a good example.

2) All it would take is one dipshit from 1010/640/Sun who wanted to get an 'exclusive' and make a bit of a name for themselves, to wreck the embargo. Tweedle Hash and Tweedle Crack would put out incentives to friendly hacks like Joe Wormtongue to help this happen.

3) The Canadian/Toronto corporate media suck.

4) The embargo would easily be twisted by the Fords as part of their media-is-out-to-get-us conspiracy theory. "We're trying to tell the taxpayers about all we're doing for them, but the media doesn't want you to hear it," etc. This by itself is probably not a reason not to do it, but would be a regrettable side-effect. It would also increase the likelihood of reason #2 happening, if some hack wanted to look like he wasn't conforming to the party line, etc.

But hey I would love it if it could happen for real. Best we can hope for is more rousing pressers like the Sylvia Stalin thing.

People on here were claiming Daniel Dale is gay. It clearly does not matter. What does matter is unsubstantiated rumour.

Does anyone recall the no longer existing POS homophobe Peter Worthington's scathing piece about Dale's "wimpy" behaviour during the incident. Yep...an entire column on nothing about how unmanly he was (as opposed to the he-man types at the Sun...like Worthington ha ha ha).

At this point, I strongly agree. Ford has no power and nothing constructive to say. To go to one of his random press conferences is totally participating in a media circus in which he enjoys being the ringleader.

If the major media could agree amongst themselves they're not going to go, that would be the optimal way to shut him down and shut him up. My secondary suggestion would be go but turn off cameras or whatever when he is talking and then, during question period, everyone ask the same question until he leaves. (Possible suggestion: "What was Sandro Lisi giving you in those envelopes?" though "How did you know Anthony Smith?" works too. I know he won't answer them but right now when he does what he did yesterday they are playing into his hands.

I'm sure they know that but ....maybe the Dale thing will be enough to galvanize them to work together. I can understand why the Star can't boycott only to find the Sun and Globe and Post covering his press conference but if they all agree to not go, it would be an actual blow to him. As he told Fox, he is "loving" this, so you KNOW you are helping him by putting him on camera at all at this point.

It's a really pleasant thought---just suck all the oxygen away and the Ford fire goes out---but it can't and won't happen. Ford doesn't have to have any powers or anything constructive to say. He IS news, simply because people want to know more. The public is following the story, they're invested (whether pro- or anti-Ford), they want details. This is selling newspapers at a time when newspapers have never needed strong sales so badly. Reporters are not "playing into his hands," they're doing what they know they need to do, as personally distasteful as it may be to them. You think Daniel Dale is having fun sticking close to the Fords day after day? They call Katie Simpson "crazy" and worse regularly. I'm sure this is an awful experience for the City Hall reporters on a lot of levels here. But this is also a very good time to be doing their job in other ways---sickeningly false pressers aside, there are a lot of very serious, significant stories here, their reporting has probably never been so relevant and important to their readers, the stuff they uncover or break could push this thing in entirely new directions and even shape the outcome.

I remember reading on twitter, I believe it was the day after Ford was stripped of his powers, the media were scrumming Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly and Ford showed up to work and just walked into his office with nobody from the media caring about his arrival. That made me smile when I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back