395     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 503     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Potential media blackouts on our despicable "Mayor." It's not going to happen, for all the reasons Seagull and SFO have already pointed out. But even if the media wasn't being run for the most part by corporate jackals - at least some of whom probably still approve of Ford's agenda, if not the man himself - there's simply too much competitiveness to speak of between the various media outlets. And Ford, sad to say, is as tailor made a "news" figure for our tabloid times as you could ask for. Plainly put, he's a freakshow, and the media loves freakshows.

Even setting politics aside, trying to get all the local tv/radio stations and newspapers to cooperate on such a venture would be like trying to herd cats. It couldn't possibly happen until people are finally, finally sick of the rotten fat fuck's antics.

It's quite possible that it is simply an assumption, based on his mannerisms. To be honest, I would also make that assumption.

I really don't think Ford brought up that incident with Dale in the park behind his house because he really thinks he was a perv, or that it represented his worst run in with the media. I think his main beef with Dale is really about his debunking of Ford's Billion$ claim, and Ford simply trying to discredit him any way he can.

That, and the fact that both Fords detest someone like Dale - someone with more brains than brawn able to challenge them on their BS even without the wealth, power and privilege of the Fords. Dale epitomizes 'those latte sipping elitists', which is absurd considering Dale's carbon footprint is probably 5% of that of Ford's. Dale has a voice because he uses his intelligence and integrity with the objective of doing the right thing for the sake of the community. There never was a hollower catch-line than Ford's 'respect for taxpayers'. Not only is Ford's 'respect' thoroughly bullshit, but to Ford 'Taxpayers' is disgustingly condescending. It implies dog's working at their stations in order to pay taxes, shuttled to and from work underground, concealed in their subways.

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe I jumped the gun here, but I was told by a friend that he was gay many months back and I've read a lot of pro-Ford comments calling him a "fag" consistently. I'm checking with a source at Xtra and will let you know more when I get confirmation.
I'm no Thatcher fan, but how true is this really? NHS still provides basic check-ups for free and I can't think of any other Western country that does this. Many here are covered privately, but if the argument is that de-funding dental care makes for worse teeth, than Canadian teeth should be at the bottom of the barrel. Moreover, the legacy of bad "British teeth" is more or less over for those under 30 which is also around the time Thatcher made these cuts. I think it was actually a more societal thing than anything else.

Anyway, back to Ford...

Ford likes to remind us that the media outside his house scares the kids and makes them cry. But what about the dozens and dozens of times the cops were called to their house because of a domestic disturbance? They're cool with that?

Just a few months ago, in her interview with the Sun, his wife said that the kids believe all of the reporters are there because they love their father. (He also ran with the 'my kids is scared' line re Mary Walsh.)

Warmington, June 17th:

... “I kind of feel sorry for them,” [Renata] said of the media. “I look out the window sometimes at 6:30 a.m. and I see them. Sometimes it’s raining.”

She said she holds no animosity and certainly does not think of them as “maggots” — a comment her husband so famously apologized for calling them.

“They have a job to do and I know that,” she said. “Everybody has a job to do.”

As for their two young children, Stephanie, 8, and Doug, 5, she said she and Rob keep them sheltered from the glare of public life.

“We have decided to wait until they are older to explain about politics,” she said.

But they have certainly seen the media people on the driveway and the trucks and cameras.

“They are used to the reporters,” said Renata. “They just think they are all there because they really love their father.”

Last edited:
Somewhat unrelated but Disqus was recently cracked, and md5 hashes of email addresses can be publicly accessed I'm sharing this here because Disqus is used by the National Post, and the Toronto Sun. It's entirely possible that some Ford trolls might actually be staffers, like Price. Interestingly Disqus was cracked to out politicians frequenting hate sites.

If anyone is interested in sleuthing, you'd just need to collect all the city hall email addresses, and other known emails of staffers. You'd also need to collect the usernames of the Disquss trolls. Then it's just a matter of asking the Disqus API for the hash, and comparing them. This probably violates Discuss's terms of service, so proceed with caution.

I would give them the benefit of doubt of actually using their business/legitimate email addresses......then again maybe not. Carry on.

From Katie Simpson's twitter:

Katie Simpson ‏@KatieSimpson24 5m
In the lobby of 500 Dawes, one resident said to Mayor Ford the landlord "gets away with murder just like you do". #ToPoli

if you wanna see it for yourself...

i can't seem to get a link straight to the video, but if you go here http://www.cp24.com/news/ford/ford-brothers-police-chief-set-for-budget-showdown-1.1584557 it's the next video, called "Mayor tours Dawes Road apartment building".

it's worth seeing... ford totally ignores her.

Where does it say that Daniel Dale is gay?

Ford Nation has seeded that notion over time. For example, the Fords had David Menzies, a Sun News guy, on their show one time who said, "I’ve been told the Star purposely assigned their most effeminate reporter.†People don't remember the specific comments, but the notion stays with them. The pedo insinuation works the same way.

You're lucky. I live in a one bedroom. My electric bill was over four hundred dollars ($400) last time. Our bills cover a two month period. The worst part is, that the largest chunk of my bill is a delivery fee which alone is over a hundred dollars ($100). This is ridiculous since we live in a house that split into several apartments, which are all billed separately, meaning cumulatively we spend a couple hundred dollars a month just getting electricity to our home.

I have no recourse but to trust the electric company, and hope they can fix this. I'm doubtful they will. Just to get power in the first place I had to give them a few hundred dollars as a deposit, unless of course I got a letter from a gas, or electric company. Not a telco, not a credit rating score, but a full on letter from a very specific utility company.

The sooner I can get off the city's electrical grid the better.

Sorry to go off-topic, but Bennett, you should get that checked out. I have a three-bedroom house and my electricity costs half what you pay (although I do have gas for heating and cooking). That said, sometimes meters can get messed up in converted house like yours. A friend of mine recently had an issue with her place, where her meter was showing consumption for the apartment above hers as well as her own. Try some tests on your meter (eg. turn off a bunch of stuff for a few days and see if consumption drops.) If there's a problem, talk to your landlord and the electricity company.

Zoe McKnight ‏@zoemck 14m
Man invites mayor into apartment. Woman is in towel, shrieks. Mayor rushes out. "Buddy, I'm in enough trouble already!" Man is sorry.

Hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back