1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 446     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
No evidence of it on here doesn't meant no evidence of using paid operatives to shape or otherwise manipulate the public - re: David Price and the Dieter Doneit-Henderson Oxycontin story:

http://torontoist.com/2010/10/rob_fords_team_created_a_fake_twitter_account_and_this_is_it/

AoD

From that article:
The Twitter account was the work of the deputy communications director of Rob Ford’s campaign, Fraser Macdonald, and was created with one purpose in mind: getting the whole recording of a conversation between Dieter Doneit-Henderson and the candidate, in which Ford promised the fibromyalgia-afflicted man that he would “fucking try to find” OxyContin for him.

Maybe he should have tried to get him some crack.

I've got to say, CowboyLogic, that I really don't think you're a paid operative. You don't operate like one (That said, they certainly do exist)

my gf observed that hollywood threatens people with multi-million dollar lawsuits and jail time for leaking movies, but people do it anyways. the threat of prison seems sufficient to keep this video from leaking. could it be that the people who have it on their hard drives now - police guns and gangs officers, crown prosecutors, defense attorneys, courts staff (those assisting judges), and the judiciary - are deterred by the threat of punishment enough to not leak it?

Yes, that's exactly that it means. The issue is that whatever this spending is is funded by other sources than the city tax base. For example, programs that were fully funded by the province and feds that Rob Ford might have left to expire purely out of spite. You can say that "There's only One taxpayer and Rob Ford is looking out for him", but clearly even Rob Ford doesn't believe that (Exhibit A: his stupid Scarborough Subway funding formula).

Think about it another way - one percentage point on the property tax base is about $30M revenue. Don't you think if Rob Ford had any control whatsoever of the $7B of the budget not funded by property taxes, it would be trivial to find ~1% savings and ensure a property tax freeze? He would be a hero. The reason he can't do that is the same reason looking at the gross budget is not a meaningful indicator of how well Rob Ford is doing as a cost cutter.

Fair enough. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of the gross operating budget or a detailed report on why it stagnated, as its hard to make a claim for it one way or the other without knowing the specific reasons. I've been conjecturing, but since it seems like there are a lot of potential reasons the gross operating budget could drop that's entirely unrelated to a drop in funding or revenue streams (i.e. unloading and expiration of programs), its hard to make any claims without seeing a breakdown.

I do think it'd probably have to come at the expense of a program or service, but yeah, I definitely agree on that.

I don't need to rely on mainstream newspapers to understand that stuff, for me it's work-related. You can find all the info about the mayor's bike plan here:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/pw/bgrd/backgroundfile-38906.pdf

If you knew what you are talking about, you would see that the only routes which had not previously been approved and funded and were in fact already under construction when the mayor passed this plan, was the downtown bike lane network which so far has been built entirely on streets that already had bike lanes before.

Two things:

a) From the beginning, I was never disputing you. I was only asking that you post something to back up your claim, as it was conflicting with what was printed in a major newspaper. If I'm wrong on something, I'm not going to just take it on word.

b) In the "Future Construction Priorities" section, there are 11 listed future projects. There's also 13.9km total of separated bike lanes as either being implemented or under consideration. Why the discrepancy between this report and what you're claiming? None of these appear to have been under construction when Ford took office, so unless some of them have been rejected since the time of this report, it seems like there is 10km+ being implemented.

I've got to say, CowboyLogic, that I really don't think you're a paid operative. You don't operate like one (That said, they certainly do exist)

Thanks. Agreed, they do exist. Kouvlais with the John Tory show and David Price are proof, but I just think its a bit much to think I'm one.

You can get most of the info you want here .......

http://csconramp.mah.gov.on.ca/fir/View/MULTI-YR-Toronto C.xls
Only has 2011, not 2012 or 2013. And I'm not seeing any breakdown. I think (but not sure) that the key to this is the $130 million reduction in operating grants between 2010 and 2011 in line 720, but it only breaks down to federal and provincial ... with no indication that I can see what this includes.

Only has 2011, not 2012 or 2013. And I'm not seeing any breakdown. I think (but not sure) that the key to this is the $130 million reduction in operating grants between 2010 and 2011 in line 720, but it only breaks down to federal and provincial ... with no indication that I can see what this includes.

The city is later than most at posting its F.I.R. data. 2012 should appear before Nov.

I'm not sure how reliable this information is but I saw this tweeted by Anonymous this afternoon

Anonymous ‏@YourAnonNews 39m
Reliable Source: Toronto's latest murder victim was a pimp. Mayor Rob Ford was one of his clients. #topoli

Last edited:
We can toss this onto the piles of costs incurred by Ford:

$85 million dollars in sunk costs incurred for the Scarborough SRT conversion.

While Ford isn't solely responsible, the fact that he wears it like an achievement means that these costs should be pinned to him.

b) In the "Future Construction Priorities" section, there are 11 listed future projects. There's also 13.9km total of separated bike lanes as either being implemented or under consideration. Why the discrepancy between this report and what you're claiming? None of these appear to have been under construction when Ford took office, so unless some of them have been rejected since the time of this report, it seems like there is 10km+ being implemented.

There should be way more than 10km in the works as per the previous funding and design, but the mayor's office and the mayor's motion listed above have not actually contributed positively in any way.

The cycling and pedestrian infrastructure guys at City Hall have done an amazing job with these trails, but make no mistake - today we are reaping the benefits of Miller-era planning. They planned 249km of off-road paths, and 495km of bike lanes (including a protected bike lane along Bloor). Nowadays they are relatively under funded and face more obstacles than ever - even for off-road paths.

From the moment that Ford's 'bicycle plan' was passed in council to today, we have actually lost a bunch of bicycle lanes and simply continued building what was already planned by the previous council in terms of off-road paths.

With a bit of political will we could have actually added vital off-road connections to the network by now. As things stand Ford's administration is solely responsible for 5km of downtown bike paths that replaced previously existing bike lanes.

I'm not sure how reliable this information is but I saw this tweeted by Anonymous this afternoon

That guy posts loads of 'insider' bullshit. Not credible at all.

Actually, there may be some truth to this. I haven't heard anything about this in particular but I've been told in the past -- and I believe I posted here about it -- that Renata was just set up with Rob for convenience and that there's no actual romance between the two. Now that you think about it, what kind of wife is she to remain with Rob despite him spending time with his high school crush? Alleged domestic violence? Going on vacation alone or with his kids, sans wife? He can fool Ford Nation but a wife wouldn't buy this kind of bullshit.

Now, before I get ahead of myself, I'm not interested in debating Rob Ford's love life but if this news proves to be true, then things are really going to get fishy. I've not fallen in the lure of entertaining the crazy possibility that Ford is involved in hiring hits on people with dirt on his name... But you can only make excuses to not consider that for so long: two men who were there when the crack video was filmed and who took photos that night and who Ford might have guessed could have filmed him smoking crack were shot, one of them died. Another man linked to them was thrown off a balcony. The guy who was confirmed to have been shopping the video was stabbed in prison. Now allegedly his pimp was murdered? What the heck is going on here??

It could just be that Ford hangs out with shady people who's lifestyle lends itself to them becoming victims of attempts on their lives. Or it could be the other thing...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back