1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Political operatives posting crap is more something you'd find at the federal level, in comments sections and whatnot. I'd be really surprised if Ford had anybody here trying to (badly) argue for him.

^I'm guessing Kouvalis's firm (as an example) isn't above providing such services to its clients. I don't see sock-puppets as much of a stretch beyond push-polling, fake call-in show participants, and astroturf organizations like Toronto Taxpayers Federation.

I'd be really surprised if Ford had anybody here trying to (badly) argue for him.
I wouldn't. Some of the new hires in his office seem very green and likely incompetent. If they are on the political side, they must be pretty immoral or desperate to work for the likes of Rob Ford. I wouldn't be surprised if they saw it as part of their job to troll, even if not asked.

does the traffic at urban toronto justify the expense of paying someone to post here? i'm enamoured of the site, but i tend to think of it as piqueing the interest of a small group of people. i would be delighted to be wrong!

does the traffic at urban toronto justify the expense of paying someone to post here? i'm enamoured of the site, but i tend to think of it as piqueing the interest of a small group of people. i would be delighted to be wrong!
I doubt it. But if the mayor's office has budget to hire people full-time to coach football, surely an hour here or there to troll isn't a big deal.

I doubt that there are any systematic attempt to troll this subforum forum for political gains - as interesting as this thread is, there are targets that would offer more bang for the buck.

AoD

I don't know the traffic numbers, but I have seen ideas posted by UT members repeated on other sites before (reddit, comments on articles etc...). Astroturfing here could have the potential to spread to others and influence a small part of the discussion in the city.

I doubt that there are any systematic attempt to troll this subforum forum for political gains - as interesting as this thread is, there are targets that would offer more bang for the buck.

AoD

The alternative (i.e. that a person could, at this point, genuinely support Ford) is too horrifying to imagine; might as well push the button for global thermonuclear war if that's the case, as our species will have proven itself unworthy of survival. I would prefer to believe that my reality is, in fact, just part of a Matrix-like literal dystopia. I would have more hope for the future of my offspring in the Matrix than I would if there was even one sentient human alive who genuinely believes Ford is qualified to be mayor.

To my mind, the timing and tonal change of CowboyLogic's gives rise to reasonable suspicion that CowboyLogic is a political operative, or at best a dedicated troll. Are there forums that require users to disclose whether they are compensated to post? Maybe with some kind of financial penalty imposed if they lie? While I totally agree that people should be free to voice their opinions, knowing whether (and preferably by whom) any given person is paid to broadcast his/her opinion is crucial to understanding, evaluating and responding to that opinion.

Like I said before, I think its really ironic to lambast Ford supporters as stupid or delusional while at the same time accusing anyone who supports him of being a covert paid operative. He must have a lot of paid operatives in the city. This is a completely delusional, paranoid accusation IMO.

I don't even understand the logic of this. If there is a crack video coming out, how exactly is me posting on this forum going to stop it? You guys can still discuss it. MetroMan is still going to post his supposed intel. The video will either come out or won't come out...I'm glad you think so highly of me, vox, but I don't think anything I post here is going to change the crack video scandal one iota.

I wish I was a paid operative - that'd mean I was getting paid for this - but I really don't see how anyone can come to that conclusion about me now. It really takes a stretch of the imagination, and I'd have to be a pretty shitty paid operative, considering I've (a) said that I believe Ford did smoke crack and there is a video, (b) admitted there are a lot of issues that I disagree with Ford on, and (c) admitted when I've been wrong in several instances.

You have the IP addresses he/she/it has used, which can be cross-referenced against other users who have used the same IP address.

I don't want any of my personal information posted on here, but if the mods want to cross-reference my IP against other user accounts, I'm all for that. It would, once and for all, clear up that I'm not any of the other Ford supporters on this site.

Like I said before, I think its really ironic to lambast Ford supporters as stupid or delusional while at the same time accusing anyone who supports him of being a covert paid operative. He must have a lot of paid operatives in the city. This is a completely delusional, paranoid accusation IMO.

No evidence of it on here doesn't meant no evidence of using paid operatives to shape or otherwise manipulate the public - re: David Price and the Dieter Doneit-Henderson Oxycontin story:

http://torontoist.com/2010/10/rob_fords_team_created_a_fake_twitter_account_and_this_is_it/

AoD

The crack video is slowly spreading, according to MetroMan, but it seems it hasn't been uploaded to be viewed by the masses just yet. Are they waiting for court proceedings to come to an end? Are they waiting for council to come back into session in the fall? Or are they waiting until we get closer to the election next year? Are the individual people afraid of being "the one" that releases it? Will it premiere at TIFF? Whatever the reason is, I wonder what the chances are of a screen cap from the video being made public? A teaser of some sort before the full thing comes out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back