1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 597     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 892     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

And from the City Archives, the Bathurst Bridge August 1907:
Hunt_on_Bathurst_Street_north_of_St.jpg

Good grief, riding to hounds. Toronto of old - those of means - certainly didn't forget the best traditions of the Mother Country did they?

Try climbing up the creaky stairs to the even-creakier loft.

Still, that's where you'll find the best selection of antiques this side of Aberfoyle.

Now I'm intrigued, I can always add more blue and white China to the decor here at home.:)

October 9 addition.

Then: Looking NE across the old Hillcrest racetrack grounds (now the Hillcrest TTC yards). Bathurst and Dupont intersection in the distance. 'c1922?' the photo says.

fo1244_f1244_it7370.jpg

Now: September 2009.

DSCF1176.jpg

Mustapha and Charioteer: More good comparison pics!

Charioteer: Good 1954 vintage comparison pics-perhaps someone can add how those places look today...

Mustapha: That pic you added today at Spadina and King Streets looks about 1970 to me also. Note the Diners Club International logo (that black on blue line circle) on the lower corner...The Diners Club is a very old credit-type card. Google "Diners Club International" and read the Wikipedia info...
Also look at their web page: www.dinersclub.com/ LI MIKE

Charioteer: Good 1954 vintage comparison pics-perhaps someone can add how those places look today...

Mustapha: That pic you added today at Spadina and King Streets looks about 1970 to me also. Note the Diners Club International logo (that black on blue line circle) on the lower corner...The Diners Club is a very old credit-type card. Google "Diners Club International" and read the Wikipedia info...
Also look at their web page: www.dinersclub.com/ LI MIKE

Didn't know Diners Club even existed anymore. Years ago, I carried a company issued one for expenses but even in the early 90s few businesses accepted them.

October 11 addition.

Then: Canadian National Exhibition. View looking E towards Princes' Gates. c1930? The Engineering and Electrical Building is on the left. I believe it burned and then was pulled down in the 70s.

Cyclists_at_the_CNE.jpg

Now. September 2009.

DSCF1194.jpg

October 11 addition.

Then: Canadian National Exhibition. View looking E towards Princes' Gates. c1930? The Engineering and Electrical Building is on the left. I believe it burned and then was pulled down in the 70s.

Cyclists_at_the_CNE.jpg

Now. September 2009.

DSCF1194.jpg

Great shots! Could there be anything more symbolic of the changes in Toronto than the view through the arch of the Princes' Gate: belching smokestack replaced by condo?

Great shots! Could there be anything more symbolic of the changes in Toronto than the view through the arch of the Princes' Gate: belching smokestack replaced by condo?

Thanks thecharioteer, ah, the symbolism was accidental.:eek:

October 12 addition.

fo0124_f0124_fl0002_id0125.jpg

Good food court here now. A cheap meal you can takeaway and eat in Grange Park nearby. Ponder life, where its going, or in my case, where it went, whilst doing ones best to not share ones bounty with pigeons and sea gulls.

DSCF1201.jpg

A stork

Playing with Photoshop is always fun.
I did a little work on A STORK.

Attachments

• fo0124_f0124_fl0002_id0125.jpg
    fo0124_f0124_fl0002_id0125.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 474
As I've said before, by Vice magazine standards St Andrew's Market was better before.

As far as the CNE's Electrical Building goes, I believe it was simply pulled down in '72; no fire involved (the fire in question was in the former Transportation Building in 1974, E of the present Liberty Grand)

One more theatre, (the only one I know of based on quonset hut construction), the Roxy in Woodbridge, seemingly in a farmer's field, opened in 1950, closed in 1960.

roxytheatrewoodbridge1950-1.jpg
roxy-1.jpg

Awesome find Chariot!!!! I think this might be the south side of Hwy 7 at Kipling. The location eventually became a Canadian Tire, then a strip mall style development. I'm digging into it more and will confirm!

what the hell happened to all the beautiful trees on jarvis?

I was just about to ask that too - on Jarvis I'm guessing a lot of them were sacrificed when the street was widened to install that stupid reversible lane, but what's the excuse on Sherbourne?

Unfortunately, that little food court Queen street market seems to be virtually abandoned now. Most of the vendors seem to have gone under recently.

Back