News   Jul 09, 2024
 146     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 275     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 523     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Globe & Mail, Sat. Oct. 3/09

Interesting article regarding the resoration of Toronto's architecture.

Globe T.O. section (Globe & Mail, Sat. Oct. 3/09)

Believe it or not, that was one of the earliest Parkin works (c1945/46). Very short-lived; demolished about the time the Yonge Subway was opened.

Last August, Mustapha, you posted some pictures of the SW corner of Yonge and Adelaide. Looking on the Ontario Archives Visual Database site I ran across some photos of the Adelaide Street Coach Terminal (offering express service to the suburbs) that once existed on the south side of Adelaide, just west of Yonge (now site of Scotia Plaza). Not sure of the dates as to when it was built and when it got demolished, but it stood on the site of the old Grand Opera House, which was taken down in 1927:

1921:

413px-Grand_Opera_House_in_1913.jpg
1948:
adelaidebusterminal1948a.jpg

adelaidebusterminal1948.jpg

1960's:

YongeandAdelaideSWaa.jpg

Very interesting about Parkin, adma. As can be seen in the 1910 Goad map, the bus terminal would have utilized the Grand Opera Lane and the now-vanished Johnson Street.

Toronto_1910_Atlas_Volume_1_Plat-8.jpg

The block itself contained some very interesting buildings, including the Manning Arcade. It also had a bit of "entertainment district" quality containing until the 20's both the Grand Opera and the Majestic Theatre:

grand_opera_majestic_0040054.jpg

Last edited:
MIGHT'S TORONTO DIRECTORY

No listing, (unknown) names/Company.

FISHER & TAYLOR'S TORONTO DIRECTORY
FOR THE YEAR 1874, ETC, ETC.

BURNS A & W , soda water manufacturers, 5 - 7 Buchanan.

BURNS Alexander, of A & W BURNS, 9 BUCHANAN.

BURNS WILLIAM, of A & W BURNS, 11 Buchanan.

BUCHANAN, (STREET?) from Yonge, between 418 -424,

west to Terauley, St John Ward.

CAVERHILL'S TORONTO CITY DIRECTORY 1859 - 60.

No listing - names/Company.

Regards,
J T

Interesting. College Park was built over Buchanan street.

October 5 addition.

Lorne Park area, Mississauga. There are numerous signs at the street entrances to this residential area about trespassing and private property, etc. I thought for a moment to include a picture here of one of the signs but I decided not to. The residents there obviously have their value systems.

ser71_s0071_it10987.jpg

DSCF1167.jpg

Mustapha said:
The A & W Burns soda business at 406 Yonge was in the NW quadrant of the present Yonge and Gerrard intersection.

Looks to be hand made; I don't know anything about bottles of this vintage. It would also be nice to know something of the history of this business.

See James Timperlake's "Illustrated Toronto" from 1877, pages 306 & 307, available at:

http://www.archive.org/stream/illustratedtor00timbuoft#page/n399/mode/2up

October 4th Pic reply...

Mustapha: That pic you posted at King and York I believe is from 1969-I am going on the plate on that Ford Falcon sedan in the pic - 415*414 - Ontario issued yearly dated plates back then and the only other year it could be is 1967 - a Confederation Centennial plate. The other vehicles are definitely later 60s vehicles. LI MIKE

One more thing: Is it possible to enlarge that plate pictured to make it readable? If it is a 1969 the "1969" is on the top with ONTARIO on the bottom. Thanks!

Last edited:
regarding 1910 Goad Map

The Goad Map (provided by thecharioteer) shows the National Club on Bay St.
Is it the only building on the block remaining from that era?

P.S. That's the Trump Tower under construction next door.

Attachments

• TN National Club - Bay St.jpg
    TN National Club - Bay St.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 526

I believe so, unless one includes the two facades saved on Yonge Street as part of the Scotia Plaza development (and the relocation of the Wood Gundy facade from King to Adelaide):

adelaideblock-1.jpg

f0124_fl0003_id0161.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, a cyclist! Do you think the bus stop is used often?

I used to know people in this area; the public transit users were mostly teenagers.

I'm surprised the owners of the National club haven't sold; that's valuable real estate. After all, the Primrose and Granite clubs didn't stay in one place forever either.

October 6th addition.

Then: Lakeshore Road, Clarkson, looking E. Dec. 5, 1929.

ser71_s0071_it7315.jpg

Now: September 2009

DSCF1165.jpg

Back