News   Apr 25, 2024
 262     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 389     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 583     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Can't help you, Goldie, but here's a pic of the old Odeon Danforth, from the Ontario Archives, on the same block at 635 Danforth from the late 40's (the film showing was released in 1947). Looking at Google Earth it looks like the building is still standing:

odeondanforth-1.jpg

October 7th addition.

Now: October 6, 2009.

DSCF1275.jpg

I wandered in there once, and the fitness centre went well back into the building, so I assume the theatre seating has gone. I can't imagine what reason they'd have to retain it.

I saw Star Wars at the Odeon in 1977, a few weeks after the movie opened, when I was living on Eaton Avenue.

October 8th addition.

Then: Lakeshore Rd, Clarkson. Dec 5, 1929. Note the barn on the right.

ser71_s0071_it7316.jpg

Now: September 2009

DSCF1170.jpg

That barn is still around... a closer look... It's an antique business now.

DSCF1171.jpg

old barn

October 8th addition.

Then: Lakeshore Rd, Clarkson. Dec 5, 1929. Note the barn on the right.

ser71_s0071_it7316.jpg

Now: September 2009

DSCF1170.jpg

That barn is still around... a closer look... It's an antique business now.

DSCF1171.jpg

Amazing to see the preservation of that old barn.
Someone deserves congratulations!
Has the owner of the antique business been shown this "Then & Now"?

Amazing to see the preservation of that old barn.
Someone deserves congratulations!

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/businessesgallery

"Title: Barn Antiques, Clarkson
Description: 1675 Lakeshore Road West. The building was already 100 years old when it was purchased and operated as the Clarkson Fruit Market. It was first moved to Lakeshore Road and Clarkson Road, then later to its present location at Lakeshore Road and Meadowood Road. In 1931 it was purchased by Grace Fairbairn who, with her sister, Agnes, operated it as Clarkson Market Antiques.

An advertisement for the Clarkson Market in The Highways & Byways of Ontario Automobile Road Guide, 1923, states: This building is now the central Clearing House for the Antique Treasures of Rural Ontario, filled with the things that give joy to lovers of the artistic and useful. Mahogany and Walnut, from the massive four-poster to dainty tea-caddies, old china, brass, Sheffield plate; also Canadian handicraft pottery, metal work, home hand-braided rugs and original decorative work. Visitors welcomed.
Agency: Mississauga Library System"

Sorry, no. It never occurred to me.:eek:

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/businessesgallery

"Title: Barn Antiques, Clarkson
Description: 1675 Lakeshore Road West. The building was already 100 years old when it was purchased and operated as the Clarkson Fruit Market. It was first moved to Lakeshore Road and Clarkson Road, then later to its present location at Lakeshore Road and Meadowood Road. In 1931 it was purchased by Grace Fairbairn who, with her sister, Agnes, operated it as Clarkson Market Antiques.

An advertisement for the Clarkson Market in The Highways & Byways of Ontario Automobile Road Guide, 1923, states: This building is now the central Clearing House for the Antique Treasures of Rural Ontario, filled with the things that give joy to lovers of the artistic and useful. Mahogany and Walnut, from the massive four-poster to dainty tea-caddies, old china, brass, Sheffield plate; also Canadian handicraft pottery, metal work, home hand-braided rugs and original decorative work. Visitors welcomed.
Agency: Mississauga Library System"

Didn't realize it was that old. Standing outside it, the impression is one could poke a finger into it and bring it down.

Inspired by your recent trek to suburbia, Mustapha, here are some scans from a book published in 1954 by the Township of York, showing "now and thens" around Bathurst and Eglinton:

2007-09-07-2103-46_edited.jpg

2007-09-07-2100-45_edited.jpg

2007-09-07-2058-37_edited.jpg

2007-09-07-2105-27_edited.jpg

2007-09-07-2108-25_edited.jpg

And from the City Archives, the Bathurst Bridge August 1907:

Hunt_on_Bathurst_Street_north_of_St.jpg

Didn't realize it was that old. Standing outside it, the impression is one could poke a finger into it and bring it down.

Try climbing up the creaky stairs to the even-creakier loft.

Still, that's where you'll find the best selection of antiques this side of Aberfoyle.

August 6 addition.

Jarvis looking N towards Front.

ser376_fl0004_s0376_fl0004_it0093.jpg

DSCF0930.jpg

Anna: Thank you for the link to Ontario History Quest. Some amazing photos which I've never seen before, like this one of the Jarvis side of the original City Hall, looking north towards the St. Lawrence Hall (and an early iteration of the North Market):

jarvisfront.jpg

And this one of the Albion Hotel, east side of Jarvis between King and Front, now the site of The Saint James condominiums:

albionhotel.jpg

Back