News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

There's something interesting about the second photo: though it looks awfully tight, it appears that the SE corner Yonge subway entrance was from the edge of the "Scotts" building, rather than from the sidewalk...

That large TTC sign is located in a awfully strange location isn't it?

March 30 addition.

375 Yonge

373-5yonge.jpg

DSCF0523.jpg

Yeah, the ultimate "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" demonstration, that.

Back to the SE Yonge/King subway entrance: was it from the building, originally? If it changed, it was probably when the National Trust building was built on its site c1960, which left more wiggle-room for a sidewalk entrance...

Yeah, the ultimate "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" demonstration, that.

Back to the SE Yonge/King subway entrance: was it from the building, originally? If it changed, it was probably when the National Trust building was built on its site c1960, which left more wiggle-room for a sidewalk entrance...

I'll comb thru some of the Toronto archive's TTC construction pics some time and see.
[UPDATE March 30 5:45pm: Couldn't find anything..]

On a related note: There is a pair of gray painted steel doors on the Queen subway southbound platform, opening into a equipment closet I suppose. At one time - pre-Eaton Centre - these were glass doors and you could take the escalator from the subway platform up to the old Eaton store's basement food department.

Last edited:
And evidently, the older photo was just prior to when Canada Life acquired its beacon...

Was the original mooring mast never built? Or had it been torn down sometime prior to constructing the beacon in 1951?

'Groceteria' is so awkward I had to look it up!

From Groceteria.com:

Clarence Saunders’ Piggly Wiggly stores, established in Memphis in 1916, are widely credited with introducing America to self-service shopping, although other stores (notably Alpha Beta in Southern California) around the country were experimenting with the idea at about the same time. Self-service stores came to be known as “groceterias” due to the fact that they were reminiscent of the cafeteria-style eateries that were gaining popularity at the time.

It clearly looks to me as if the TTC Entrance was in the Scotts Building - you can even see the railing going down a set of stairs in the photo. And also, the TTC Sign is actually attached to the building by the looks of it. When was the current building built? I thought I saw a cornerstone saying 1996 but I cant rememeber if thats right.

It clearly looks to me as if the TTC Entrance was in the Scotts Building - you can even see the railing going down a set of stairs in the photo. And also, the TTC Sign is actually attached to the building by the looks of it. When was the current building built? I thought I saw a cornerstone saying 1996 but I cant rememeber if thats right.

It's a 90s condo-ization PoMo reskinning of an early 60s modernist office building.

Nice shooting Mustapha, I didn't have to do too much stretching on this one.
yongecharlesa.jpg

This one looks 'ghostly'; the treatment you did of the Lux theatre didn't have people in it. This one has the kid on the bike and the men in road. Makes 'ya think of the people who were here before us in these places.

April 2 addition.

Every UTer has been here for karaoke.. right? :) I can't go. Would never pass for an Orangeman; trust me on this.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0540.jpg

DSCF0502.jpg

Back