1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 378     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Thanks Moose.

tryfrontporchofnelsonmandelaschool.jpg

Thoughts:
  • Wow--this is my 'hood.
  • That scrap yard looks like a fire hazard. Why all the wooden boxes?
  • What is the large tank looming in the background on the skyline?

Kinda proto-Habitat.

... for raccoons.:)

March 24 addition.

http://www.lostrivers.ca/points/donvalehs.htm

“Before the completion of Prince Edward Viaduct at Bloor Street in October 1918, Winchester Street was an important route into [and out of] Toronto.."

Wearing sensible shoes, today we alight from the 506 Carlton car at Parliament street and walk a block north to Winchester street. Now is the time to purchase a Tim Hortons coffee (and perhaps a donut – for its invigorating qualities). We turn right and walk east along this delightful street. At Sumach street we see the Gothically named Necropolis cemetery on the left and the Riverdale Farm on the right. We proceed straight ahead, taking a moment to admire the Necropolis entrance. We do not dally and proceed through a gate and thence down into Riverdale park.

This path on which we trod follows the alignment of Winchester street, which at one time descended into the Don Valley; was carried across the Don River by the Winchester Street Bridge, thence NNEasterly climbing out of the valley to intersect with Broadview and Danforth. At the bottom of the path, where it opens onto Riverdale Park, we see another gate, just push it open.

Today, we see dogs running off leash, many cyclists and hear the roar of Don Valley Parkway traffic but this area was once sylvan.

winchesterstreetbridge.jpg

DSCF0549.jpg

fo1244_f1244_it0534.jpg

DSCF0550.jpg

ser372_ss0010_s0372_ss0010_it0055.jpg

DSCF0548.jpg

I have a bit of reason to doubt the accuracy of the opening sentence that I quoted. I surmise that quite a few years before 1918, perhaps several decades, the Winchester route had already lapsed into obsolescence. As 1900 dawned there were already substantial bridges at Queen and Dundas spanning the Don. The idea of a Pottery-road-like Winchester as a commercial route doesn't convince. Any opinions?

-Moose

Last edited:
I think Winchester did, indeed, continue to be a functioning connector (supplemented by Rosedale Valley Rd) until the Bayview Extension, followed shortly by the DVP, was built in the 1950s--the ramp east of the Viaduct to the northbound DVP is itself a semi-vestige of the old alignment...

Now, that's one garish stucco job. (Augmented by the "80s moderne" aesthetic of Lick's.) At least the window patterns suggest the original building underneath.

And as with the Lux on College, another old movie palace replaced by a really vacuous watered-down-brick-Pomo medical/office building...

The Palace was divided into 3 screens back in 1982 by Famous Players and closed circa 1987. I think the conversion to a multiplex may caused the business to go down at the Palace.

The Palace was divided into 3 screens back in 1982 by Famous Players and closed circa 1987. I think the conversion to a multiplex may caused the business to go down at the Palace.

Prior to that it was a bingo hall for many years. Famous did a good job with the split taking special care to retain much of the original architecture inside, especially cinema 1. The downstairs cinema was a good size with big screen and dynamite sound whereas the lodge was split into two much less successful cinemas. When it was booked well it did good business but in the end the place just cost too much to operate and maintain.

the Palace, what a shame, to think of the business it could probably do today. I grew up just down the street and it was great having a theatre so close. tryly a great loss to the hood.

I lived on Eaton in the mid-'70s, but I can't remember the Palace. I used to bank at a Trust company at the north east corner of the intersection in those days, and saw Star Wars when it was released - at the movie theatre that's now a gym on the south side of Danforth just west of Pape. The woman who ran Apollon Pharmacy at the north side of the Danforth east of Pape still works there. From Pape to Chester there were some old fashioned Greek restaurants with dreadful stewed food sitting in hotplates, and west of there some dowdy Thuna-like storefronts ( womens' clothes displayed on ancient plaster mannequins with fingers and noses missing, that sort of thing ). The fruit and veggie market next to the subway was there in those days and open all hours ( the original owner eventually moved to the location directly to the east of where Sun Valley is, which has since changed hands several times ).

the Palace, what a shame, to think of the business it could probably do today. I grew up just down the street and it was great having a theatre so close. tryly a great loss to the hood.

Neighbourhood theatres come and go, it's ever been thus; a loss they always are but don't be sad:); the Silver City closest to you has better sight lines. I'm never bothered by someone's head blocking out the picture anymore. In my own nabe, we lost the Glendale, the Capital, the Park and the Fairlawn.

So, in that vein, our March 26 addition.

http://www.toronto.ca/archives/toronto_history_faqs.htm
"When was Toronto's first movie theatre built?
The Theatorium, opened in 1906 at 183 Yonge Street, was Toronto's first permanent movie theatre. Its name was changed to the Red Mill in 1911."

It was located on the east side of Yonge, just north of the Bank of Montreal (you can see the BOM's cornice in the 1st pic below) branch and south of the Elgin theatre. My 'Now' pic might be about 20 feet off north or south, but there you go.:confused:

Well at least no one here is old enough to remember or mourn this one..

fo1231_f1231_it0640.jpg

183Yonge.jpg

DSCF0526-1.jpg

Back