News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Re Ulster Arms:

Nice to see that it was just as ugly back then as it is now.

Well, now...they stuccoed over the half-timbering above while adding a crude half-timbering effect below; they destroyed a lot of those old multipaned windows; and...wow, do I ever miss that old neon sign in front (is that attached octagonal thing a thermometer?)

either you're getting ahead of yourself or you're half way across the world posting from, lets say, india. ;)

I am getting ahead of myself - I used to post my updates 11pm-ish, but now I have to do it from my office before leaving at 5:00. My home PC is monopolized by my kid. I'm posting from Mississauga.:eek:

Anyone have a shot of this building pre-conversion?

I looked around the archives using what I thought would be productive search terms but came up nada.

April 3 update.

fo1244_f1244_it1946.jpg

DSCF0500-1.jpg

And if you notice, the old picture was back when St Clair has its original streetcar median...

You'll enjoy this one Mustapha, as you had asked for stories related to your postings.

If your recall, you posted a photo of a view around River St., which had a factory in it where my great-grandfather worked during WW1. Well, the same man was a member of the Granite Club and I have several old curling trophies of his from the Granite Club. Neat little things, small curling rocks made of granite, one is jade (I think), with wood and silver handles. I used to use one of his full size rocks for a door stop as well.

Looks like an arrow with embedded light bulbs going around the sign. Probably flashing.

It’s a thermometer, I’m pretty sure.

Odd looking building. I think I prefer the trees. Thanks for pair (and for the rest of the thread).

You’re welcome!

And if you notice, the old picture was back when St Clair has its original streetcar median...

and I wonder if the modern St. Clair ROW’s proponents argued that there was an engineering precedence; that they were merely restoring the original configuration.. updated. :D The ROW makes sense to me. A shame the construction takes so long.

You'll enjoy this one Mustapha, as you had asked for stories related to your postings.

If your recall, you posted a photo of a view around River St., which had a factory in it where my great-grandfather worked during WW1. Well, the same man was a member of the Granite Club and I have several old curling trophies of his from the Granite Club. Neat little things, small curling rocks made of granite, one is jade (I think), with wood and silver handles. I used to use one of his full size rocks for a door stop as well.

Earlscourt, explain this to your descendants so as to make sure they stay in family hands. Amazing the stuff that you find at the St. Lawrrence Sunday antique market.. you have to wonder why people want to let go of personalized items like sports trophies. I have nic nacks from my maternal grandfather, a man I never met, you don’t see me tossing his stuff out on the trash heap.

The Granite Club looked like some high school building.

Granite High. Yeah, it has a ring to it.:)

April 4 addition. Another movie palace today. What's playing? 'Victoria the Great'. Must have been not so great if you were one of her subjects or subjected; peering up at the muzzle of her navy's quick firers.:)

I'm tired. I'll let some keener UTer figure out the location.

345eglw.jpg

DSCF0498-1.jpg

Eglinton st, just west of Avenue at the same spot 7 numbers restaurant used to be located. This leased spot was supposed to be a wolfgang puck place but that soon disappeared.

Back