News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

You're welcome Edward..

March 27 addition.

Dundas and Ontario, NE corner.

RoyalOakhotelNEcornerDundasandOntar.jpg

DSCF0509-1.jpg

Still a place to slake thirst. Probably rooms for rent upstairs too..

that corner complex became a bar a few years ago but has since closed and been left empty. those row houses were (half-assed-ly) incorporated into the business.

i really hope someone turns this corner into another business. the area could use some sprucing up.

One can only hope that in time, our heritage buildings like this one will get have exquisite details like that balcony restored.
Looks like there were doors opening onto the removed balcony. The railing would need a different treatment to meet today's Building Code. The railing looks climable.

Looks like there were doors opening onto the removed balcony.

From what I can tell in the older photo, that's a window, not a door--no door handles, and a raised lintel rather than threshold at the bottom. (Unless something changed by the time the photo was taken.)

March 28 addition.

Inspired by Darkstar416's photo of the day, here is some Elizabeth street content. The Canada Life building peeking out in the old photo confirms the location of our modern perspective. Also, where else would you find Chop Suey restaurants in 50s Toronto? :) - only on Elizabeth street, early Toronto's own disappeared Chinatown. Finally, as a toddler, I dimly remember being dragged up and down this street on Sundays, there being nothing else for my grandfather to do.

ElizabethandQueenlookingNW.jpg

DSCF0530-1.jpg

And evidently, the older photo was just prior to when Canada Life acquired its beacon...

Well, judging from the hoarding, that first photo was immediately pre-demolition.

There's something interesting about the second photo: though it looks awfully tight, it appears that the SE corner Yonge subway entrance was from the edge of the "Scotts" building, rather than from the sidewalk...

Back