News   Apr 23, 2024
 214     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 999     0 

Hamilton: General Service Discussion

I'm linking to other Hamilton GO train posts and tweets I've made recently:
It is possible that politicking during Election 2018 might also influence talk of timing (2018? 2019?) to stop the existing Niagara seasonal GO train at West Harbour in order to put more bums in seats on that train, as Metrolinx's Greg Percy said.

My spouse has tweeted about the opening of the Bay Street bike lanes in Hamilton -- the first north-south protected cycle track through downtown.

DNKEdLxXcAAFpyb.jpg

DNKEdLzWsAA5P2z.jpg
DNKEdL0X4AENV8o.jpg

And from RaiseTheHammer:

DNKEdL4WsAIzUg3.jpg

Also, there are bike/ped phase stoplights now too, to prevent left-turning cars from conflicting with bikes.
(Thanks @HamiltonBikeLanes for the pix)

DNKVvQOWsAAR3PH.jpg

And Alain's photo of the first bike tour to use the lane:

DNKLE5EWsAAduqg.jpg

Last edited:
Some great news!

A petition that I started succeeded in Hamilton to name the upcoming Claremont multi-use trail has passed, to name it "Keddy Access Trail (KAT)"

Over 1600 signatures in the petition I created less than one week ago!

"Jay Keddy is my big brother and it would keep his legacy alive and help other cyclist to be safer and get home alive !"
— Lori-Ann Keddy

"Jay Keddy was such an example of loving people of every race and ethnicity. He wasn't a giant in the eyes of the famous as we know it but he was a giant in his gracious and gentle spirit. He influenced so many people, young and old. It would be such a tribute to honour Jay in this way"
— Bonnie

"Mr Keddy was my son's kindergarten teacher. The accident happened the second year of being in his class. We enjoyed our time with him and miss him dearly. My son always thinks of him when we go up the Clairemont. Points to where the ghost bike use to be and then talks about him. He was a very involved teacher and very nice. Would be truly amazing to have the trail named after him."
— Holly

"Jay dedicated himself to making life better for all who came in contact with him; he was loved, respected, and admired by people from all walks of life. Naming the trail after him would be a great way to honour his memory."
— Daniela

"I remember going up and down that access in Grade 13, and it was pretty scary"
— Jun

"Jay meant a lot to a lot of people and having his name live on with this trail would be beautiful ❤"
— Brianna

Global News has confirmed that city councillor Terry Whitehead will be introducing a motion to name the new multi-use trail after departed teacher Jay Keddy.

jay_keddy_petition.jpg

KeddyAccessTrail.jpg

The trail will begin construction in 2019. Fully safe (concrete-barried away from cars) multi-use trail all the way from Downtown and Mohawk College.

The bottom of the trail will connect directly to the existing Hunter Street cycle track to the Hamilton Downtown GO station, which is also (eventually) receiving a cycle track extension to reach all the way there (filling the gapped section).

Jay Keddy, a teacher, cycled the escarpment, and died in at location where the Multi-Use Trail will now be built. His legacy will save the lives of future pedestrians & cyclists that need to go between Mountain and Lower City.

Many neighborhood connections are going to be connected in this Multi-Use Trail plan, and will be accessible to mobility aids (electric wheelchairs, wheelchairs), skateboarders, rollerbladers, pedestrians, and more.

It's not "Just a Bike Trail" but a multi-use trail that accomodates additional options for people who cannot otherwise easily or safely cross the escarpment, especially to get to St. Joe's Hospital or Mohawk College -- whether recreationally, out of necessity, transportation affordability, difficulty of transportation, exercise, fun, work, Mohawk College, etc.

Dedicating to Keddy's name also raises awareness of this important piece of multi-use infrastructure in Hamilton.

...."Let's skateboard the KAT!"
..."I can't walk the escarpment stairs because of my knee problems. But I can handle the Keddy!"
..."Let's take the Keddy Access Trail!"
..."I'll be able to skip booking a long wait for DARTS on the downhill direction and wheelchair the KAT instead"
..."I'm looking forward to biking the Keddy"

Attachments

• KeddyAccessTrail.jpg
    KeddyAccessTrail.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 944
Last edited:
CHCH TV interview. (I'm visible a few minutes in).

Also, there is already a twitter account @KeddyTrail that joins the hugely popular Hamilton Stairs twitter accounts:

upload_2018-5-9_13-8-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-9_13-8-44.png
    upload_2018-5-9_13-8-44.png
    110 KB · Views: 923
Last edited:
Just heard more bike spends is coming to Ward 3
- Cannon cycle track being extended a few blocks to Tim Horton's Field.
- Ordering 75 more new bikeshare bikes.

The HSR is currently testing a 35-foot battery-electric bus from New Flyer. From what I was told, it won't go into service. It will shadow bus routes or work the drivers' shuttle.

I think the bigger issue is that, based on the Business Case, they'll be cutting rush hour service to Hamilton GO from 4 trains in the morning to 2 (and I assume the same in the PM). That's a kick in the stomach for supporting the development of mobility hubs in the GTHA.

I think the bigger issue is that, based on the Business Case, they'll be cutting rush hour service to Hamilton GO from 4 trains in the morning to 2 (and I assume the same in the PM). That's a kick in the stomach for supporting the development of mobility hubs in the GTHA.
Status quo should be maintained to Hamilton Downtown -- 4 trains maintained to downtown while increasing service at West Harbour. I have written to Metrolinx about that to figure out what the heck is happening with Downtown.

That said, one bonus of both WH and Confederation getting 2-way hourly is that it can be an express 1-GO-stop ride between Stoney Creek area and Hamilton Downtown area. So it's an interesting express commute option that gets added to the Hamilton area. So this may produce a new mobility hub opportunity at West Harbour GO, especially with future A-Line LRT.

By 2041, I would think both legs will have allday 2way service.

West Harbour GO is doubling service
As of August 31st, West Harbour GO will finally be doubling services with four trains outgoing, four trains incoming per day -- including more convenient 7:09am and 7:49am morning departures to Union.

One Weekday Niagara GO train per day now stops at West Harbour GO
This should have happened years ago, but thanks to the mistake of making West Harbour GO a dead-end station (no through service possible) -- Niagara GO trains has to back in.
One Niagara train per direction per weekday now stops at West Harbour. But it has to "back-in" because West Harbour is a dead end station.

...But none of the weekend Niagara GO trains.
The seasonal trains are now permanently year-round. But none of the weekend Niagara trains stop at West Harbour (they bypass the station)

Upvote Question for next Metrolinx Townhall
For the next townhall, I just submitted a question at MetrolinxEngage.com Town Hall Questions.
By ~2025, there is expected to be hourly allday service at West Harbour, but this will be an important first step.

I'd appreciate it if that this is important to you, to upvote this particular question:

(upvote here)

A few HSR improvements as well this fall, most notably new 10 B-Line service evenings and Saturday.

A few HSR improvements as well this fall, most notably new 10 B-Line service evenings and Saturday.

I'd like to welcome the HSR for getting their first foot into the 21st century. Job well done on their end!

Upvote Question for next Metrolinx Townhall
For the next townhall, I just submitted a question at MetrolinxEngage.com Town Hall Questions.
By ~2025, there is expected to be hourly allday service at West Harbour, but this will be an important first step.

I'd appreciate it if that this is important to you, to upvote this particular question:

View attachment 200044
(upvote here)
I'm curious to know this as well, you've been upvoted

Back