News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 426     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I am quite certain that Admiral Beez is pulling some legs here......a 10 year member with over 5500 posts needs to ask "how do I find the train to Port Credit"....it's been fun watching this little sideshow but it really has to stop. ;)

I have recently relocated and have just started using GO after living in the city for over 10 years. Figuring out what platform to be on is a valid question!

I have recently relocated and have just started using GO after living in the city for over 10 years. Figuring out what platform to be on is a valid question!
I am gonna continue to believe that someone who has enough interest in transit/urbanism to be a 10 year member of a board like this and spend enough time discussing these things to get to over 5k posts has:

a). Been in a train station before and knows that trains/tracks are posted on boards
b). Is familiar enough with the internet to have found GO’s web page and, likely, noticed the link to the Union Station departure board (after all, they seem to have found some pretty accurate train information)
c) given what looks like decent computer skills and knowledge that “GO” is the service provider, that person is not likely to mistake “gotracker.ca” as a Pokémon app!

I believe someone is having a bit of fun.....and that’s ok......and that’s the last i’ll Say on it :) ;)

Has GO stopped providing GOtracker.ca? I've tried it on desktop and on mobile and it doesn't seem to be working. I swear I saw it active a few weeks ago.

Missed that part of your post. You have several options:
  • If you have an iPhone, you can use the "GOToronto" app, it shows station departure times exactly like the TVs at the stations do including delays - this is what I always use, by far the easiest
  • gotracker.ca - go's official system, on mobile you can get station departures, the map with train positions is really only usable on the desktop
  • Transee as smallspy posted just above
  • The Transit app, same as you'd use for Bikeshare, shows GO departures...I believe the train departure times are live ones based off GPS but I'm not 100% sure, should be easy to check it against the schedule to see if it's identical or GPS-based

Why is @TOareaFan the only person from Brampton complaining about train service? Why isn't Brampton making more of a stink.

He isn't. I'm complaining too. :mad:

Brampton undoubtedly lost some credibility on the transit file when they for-goed on their part of the Hurontario-Main LRT. Also didn't represent themselves well when they went to the Feds? or Province? (I forget which) to advocate for a stop on any high speed rail project.

Brampton undoubtedly lost some credibility on the transit file when they for-goed on their part of the Hurontario-Main LRT. Also didn't represent themselves well when they went to the Feds? or Province? (I forget which) to advocate for a stop on any high speed rail project.

I second the view that @TOareaFan, both here and on Twitter, isn't the only one demanding more transit service for Brampton. He's been particularly forceful and dedicated in bringing up the off-peak GO train situation and those following this thread will have seen it. There are local people in Brampton also doing advocacy but it just might not get the same attention as what happens in Toronto for various reasons.

TOareaFan will probably disagree with @cbrown2009's assertion on the credibility connect to the HMLRT as he feels the numbers never justified LRT in the first place and Council made the right call to avoid it (but he'd disagree with the alternative study for LRT since it shouldn't be LRT and should be BRT, in his view).

In terms of others in Brampton "making a stink", the issue of all-day, two-way GO service has been mentioned by Brampton Mayors, Councillors, business groups, resident groups, etc for many years. The bypass for CN freight traffic has more progress now than at any point since GO came to Brampton in 1974. Some would argue it's still not enough, we still haven't seen enough 'real' action. The latest updates are in the GO Construction thread or the Missing Link thread.

To prelude what TOareaFan would argue, he's concerned that these discussions and studies on the Bypass will prevent/delay/distract/let CN/GO/Queen's Park off the hook for off-peak until it's built, even trains to Bramalea and using the fourth track stub. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, TOareaFan.

All of this is to say it's a bit of a complex and detailed situation, rather than a generalized impression no one in Brampton cares.

I am quite certain that Admiral Beez is pulling some legs here......a 10 year member with over 5500 posts needs to ask "how do I find the train to Port Credit"....it's been fun watching this little sideshow but it really has to stop. ;)
I may seem like a grizzled urban veteran, but I've never taken the GoTrain and rarely take public transit. So, my recent procurement of Presto Card, Bikeshare pass and GoTrain plans is a sea change for me. Not that I haven't traveled globally by about every usually means, so I am perhaps overthinking this thing. Tried to take train this morning, but got up too late.

I may seem like a grizzled urban veteran, but I've never taken the GoTrain and rarely take public transit. So, my recent procurement of Presto Card, Bikeshare pass and GoTrain plans is a sea change for me. Not that I haven't traveled globally by about every usually means, so I am perhaps overthinking this thing. Tried to take train this morning, but got up too late.

Well, welcome to taking GO Transit then!

When you get around to it, you will find that our train stations are just like the ones you have encountered on your global travels, there are signs telling you which track the train you are aiming for is leaving from ;)

I second the view that @TOareaFan, both here and on Twitter, isn't the only one demanding more transit service for Brampton. He's been particularly forceful and dedicated in bringing up the off-peak GO train situation and those following this thread will have seen it. There are local people in Brampton also doing advocacy but it just might not get the same attention as what happens in Toronto for various reasons.

TOareaFan will probably disagree with @cbrown2009's assertion on the credibility connect to the HMLRT as he feels the numbers never justified LRT in the first place and Council made the right call to avoid it (but he'd disagree with the alternative study for LRT since it shouldn't be LRT and should be BRT, in his view).

In terms of others in Brampton "making a stink", the issue of all-day, two-way GO service has been mentioned by Brampton Mayors, Councillors, business groups, resident groups, etc for many years. The bypass for CN freight traffic has more progress now than at any point since GO came to Brampton in 1974. Some would argue it's still not enough, we still haven't seen enough 'real' action. The latest updates are in the GO Construction thread or the Missing Link thread.

To prelude what TOareaFan would argue, he's concerned that these discussions and studies on the Bypass will prevent/delay/distract/let CN/GO/Queen's Park off the hook for off-peak until it's built, even trains to Bramalea and using the fourth track stub. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, TOareaFan.

All of this is to say it's a bit of a complex and detailed situation, rather than a generalized impression no one in Brampton cares.

Fair enough allandale, but why not just give CN the 350 million for the 4th Bramalea track for now? Del Duca needs to get it together.

Fair enough allandale, but why not just give CN the 350 million for the 4th Bramalea track for now? Del Duca needs to get it together.

Because we, as regular members of the public with only public updates don't know specifically what CN wants or specifically what GO needs. Unless an insider is willing to post confidential information it's all speculation.

Maybe GO asked already for simply more tracks between Bramalea and Georgetown (as shown in the RER BCA) and CN said no. Given a Bypass is being explored and electrification is desired by GO west of Bramalea, it's logical in my mind that CN will only allow more service with the Bypass.

The "Kitchener Extension" cost listed in the September Metrolinx Board documents shows a cost way more than a $350M. They list it as $2.2B which I assume includes the Bypass via Bramalea-Meadowvale-Milton for CN and Halton and Guelph Sub upgrades including wires. Others are free to correct my impression.

Because we, as regular members of the public with only public updates don't know specifically what CN wants or specifically what GO needs. Unless an insider is willing to post confidential information it's all speculation.

Maybe GO asked already for simply more tracks between Bramalea and Georgetown (as shown in the RER BCA) and CN said no. Given a Bypass is being explored and electrification is desired by GO west of Bramalea, it's logical in my mind that CN will only allow more service with the Bypass.

The "Kitchener Extension" cost listed in the September Metrolinx Board documents shows a cost way more than a $350M. They list it as $2.2B which I assume includes the Bypass via Bramalea-Meadowvale-Milton for CN and Halton and Guelph Sub upgrades including wires. Others are free to correct my impression.
For me, I was just talking about the original pre bypass plan of just sending the extra track to Mt pleasant. By the bypass is going to take a couple of years at least, if not 4 or 5. It's just kind of ridiculous that that York region went from nothing to 2wAD in a year and yet it seems like the Libs just gave up on Brampton.

Back