News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 445     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Did I say that??? Didn't put platform as 24

I never said anything about the platforms.

You wrote "track (old track 12) 24", which certainly looks like you are trying to call it track 24, and that it used to be called track 12. I'm simply pointing out that the tracks are not getting renumbered, and that it is still track 12.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

unionm16.jpg

Is the picture above also showing the installation of a 3rd rail for future electrification or am I just seeing what I want to see?

They seem to be laying new rail and this is either old or new rail.

It has to be new rail since the existing rails & ties were removed when construction started.

Even then, it out of place when looking that the photo, as the new rail is already installed. It could be for the eastern section not place and hard to tell since you can't get a close up shot of the area in the first place.

Is the picture above also showing the installation of a 3rd rail for future electrification or am I just seeing what I want to see?

Unfortunately, that's just track sitting there. GO will be using 50kv AC 60hz overhead wire when it goes electric, not third rail. They decided against it because of the speed restrictions (third rail starts becoming impractical above about 130km/h, so it's incompatible with potential high speed rail).

25kV is what I've heard. Only place I can remember hearing of 50kV was near a coal power station - the clearances required would be very onerous in an urban context. Of course if they DID use third rail at Union, the Amtrak Maple Leaf could use its third rail shoe for the last part of its run ;)

Back