News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Everyone, every day, could write a post asking if there are any new photos on every thread in this forum. What is the point of it other than to say you are interested in the project but not interested enough to find a way to check it out in person and contribute your own photos? My upbringing is that you say thanks when people provide you a gift (thanks Gweed123 for the update) and not to ask for gifts. I don't think I want to have every thread in this forum filled with people requesting people to give more. I appreciate the contributions of those who post huge numbers of updates here (transitdrum118 comes to mind) but it irks me when people expect quicker response from those contributors than what the forum is delivering. If you were just asking for a text update from someone who happened to walk by then I apologize for getting jumpy, but I read it as "more photos please".

Noticed old roof over platforms 6/7 is being dismantled, glass between the first 8 columns (on platform 24/25) and the next set of 8 columns is almost 100% up. Work on the glass wall on platform 24/25 is progressing well, as framing seems to be almost done. At present there are 32 out of 48 columns erected.

Thanks for the pics!
I'm in Vancouver so don't have the ability to wander past and appreciate posts (even if of low iPhone or BlackBerry quality).
I think that a polite request after 2 months of inactivity on a thread is reasonable (the last post being December 22, 2012 and the last pics being dated October 8, 2012), especially when the forum has so many projects, one or two may just fall off the radar.

Thanks for the pics!
I'm in Vancouver so don't have the ability to wander past and appreciate posts (even if of low iPhone or BlackBerry quality).
I think that a polite request after 2 months of inactivity on a thread is reasonable (the last post being December 22, 2012 and the last pics being dated October 8, 2012), especially when the forum has so many projects, one or two may just fall off the radar.

No problem! And yup I agree. I actually took the pictures a couple weeks ago, but never got around to/completely forgot to post them. When I read that post I quickly pulled them off of my Photo Stream and posted them.

Great picture at Canadian Consulting Engineer ( www.canadianconsultingengineer.com ).

http://www.canadianconsultingengine...ansforms-union-station-train-shed/1002150964/

1002150964-1002151400.jpg

Had some concerns that the trusses would obscure too much light, but I'm quite happy to see that they actually form an interesting and ethereal pattern on the frosted glass.

Belated thanks to EnviroTO for all the great pics.

re: glass atrium - they've created a great monumental space - though I find that the black slanted columns marred what is otherwise a superb design, clashing with the strictly rectilinear, clean white aesthetics. Slim, vertical white (or light grey) painted columns might have worked better (stability/structural issues aside).

AoD

Belated thanks to EnviroTO for all the great pics.

re: glass atrium - they've created a great monumental space - though I find that the black slanted columns marred what is otherwise a superb design, clashing with the strictly rectilinear, clean white aesthetics. Slim, vertical white (or light grey) painted columns might have worked better (stability/structural issues aside).

AoD

I agree about the columns but maybe the stark contrast is what they were going for?

It does look great, but I sure hope they have a way of cleaning out all that crap that seems to be accumulating within the translucent glass compartment. Or as Mr. Lahey would call the phenomenon: S*** Silhouettes

Thanks very much for taking and posting these pictures. I'm currently down in Florida and follow posts on UT. I'm quite surprised at how little attention gets paid to this project considering the sheer size of the project.

Judging by the great pics, this project will be spectacular when finished.

Presumably the floor of the box drains to somewhere and they can simply hose down the inside of it from time to time.
However, I do suspect that the fritting and shadowing are intended to disguise a build-up of dirt over time.

Back