News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 446     0 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

Unfortunately, that's just track sitting there. GO will be using 50kv AC 60hz overhead wire when it goes electric, not third rail. They decided against it because of the speed restrictions (third rail starts becoming impractical above about 130km/h, so it's incompatible with potential high speed rail).

25kV is what I've heard. Only place I can remember hearing of 50kV was near a coal power station - the clearances required would be very onerous in an urban context. Of course if they DID use third rail at Union, the Amtrak Maple Leaf could use its third rail shoe for the last part of its run ;)

It's neither 25 nor 50, but kind of both. The technology is called 2x25 OCS and is the most practical electrification solution which is increasingly used worldwide. The idea is similar to most Ontario homes receive 2 phases of 120 volts each, total of 240. Here, the catenary is powered by 25kV, while an opposing phase of 25kV is transmitted parallel to the tracks, giving the total of 50. The benefits are multiple:
- 2x25 OCS is rolling-stock compatible with simple 25kV OCS used by AMT, so Toronto-Montreal through electrification for HSR using the same technology is possible.
- It doesn't have the clearance limitations of 50kV OCS.
- The number of traction power substations required is similar to 50 kV system due to higher total voltage (and lower currents). Some power substations are replaced with so called paralleling stations which are much cheaper and do not require connection to Hydro One (essentially, they're just autotransformers).

Details here.

I would be scared (REALLY scared!) if they decided to install 25kV third rail. ;) Third rail is impractical for heavy rail applications for a number of reasons, the one of limited speed is only one of them.

Does the US electric network use that same type of system? I'm wondering if it would be eventually possible to run HSR from Toronto to NYC.

Does the US electric network use that same type of system? I'm wondering if it would be eventually possible to run HSR from Toronto to NYC.

It is compatible with Amtrak system in the Northern part of the NEC (New Haven CT to Boston MA).
The rest of the NEC is electrified with 12 kV 25 Hz and 12 kV 60 Hz systems, Acela trains are built to operate on all three types electrical systems.

Thanks for the photo update and also for the information regarding future electrification, however my intent was not to "derail" the topic of the thread... lol.

Thanks for those great pics drum118.

This one of yours really caught my eye, just 'cause of the contrast between the Union Station shed we've all known on the right, and the new construction on the left.

8804252210_e8c01e1108_b.jpg

What's going on at the Royal York? Is the entire facade being sandblasted?

The shed looks great, but it's unbelievable how slow this thing is going up. Is the Nathan Philips Square crew involved here as well?

I've been watching from above Bay and Lakeshore, seems they only have about a 5 hour window to work at night, takes them 1 hr to get all the equipment set up, and about 1 hour to tear it down and store it. So they only get about 3 hours of actual work at night. Sometimes they work during the day but only in the late morning/early afternoon. I've noticed that they don't work in the rain or high wind situations probably cause the sheets of glass are very large. Most of the track work happens after 11pm at night. Some work on the tracks or during the afternoons. as well, but the workers in safety jackets are always gone by 3pm, before the trains start rolling in for rush hour

What's going on at the Royal York? Is the entire facade being sandblasted?
The RY has been having all its external masonry fixed over last few years. I think they are now just about on the last sections. I doubt they do sandblasting as it is very destructive of bricks and stone. More fixing all the joints, ensuring that all the blocks are still properly fastened and, if necessary, replacing any.

The RY has been having all its external masonry fixed over last few years. I think they are now just about on the last sections. I doubt they do sandblasting as it is very destructive of bricks and stone. More fixing all the joints, ensuring that all the blocks are still properly fastened and, if necessary, replacing any.

Too bad. It needs a good cleaning. Replacement stones really magnify how dirty the building is.

They have been cleaning the exterior. Notice the east and west wings are brighter looking than the middle part that isn't covered in scaffolding.

Iron work and glazing was taking place during the daytime, but the glazing is at a stand still for sometime. Even the steelwork is at a stand still in places.

Some of that may change on Monday when platform 24 & 25 open along with tracks 11 & 12. With the closing of tracks 3 & 4 (?), things may pickup.

The rendering show green glazing and none of it is up at this time.

It's neither 25 nor 50, but kind of both. The technology is called 2x25 OCS and is the most practical electrification solution which is increasingly used worldwide. The idea is similar to most Ontario homes receive 2 phases of 120 volts each, total of 240. Here, the catenary is powered by 25kV, while an opposing phase of 25kV is transmitted parallel to the tracks, giving the total of 50.
Hadn't seen that report before trainiart - very interesting indeed. Thanks!

Back